Kensal House (1936), was designed to show off the power of gas and originally had no electricity at all.
|Known addresses in Kensal House, W10: 126.96.36.199.0|
1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ·
Click on a number above to access a flat/apartment/unit address.
North Kensington lies either side of Ladbroke Grove, W10.
Built next to Kensal Green Gas Works, it was designed by architect Maxwell Fry in collaboration with Elizabeth Denby to set new standards.
Originally, the building was intended for the housing of the employees of the Gas Light and Coke Company and was situated on the company site. Until the Second World War, blocks of flats were often designed to include communal amenities. For the wealthy, these were an added luxury or convenience paid for by a service charge, while for the less well-off in state housing they were a way of sharing basic facilities. In this progressive modernist housing scheme there were communal workshops and other shared facilities, including a community centre, crèche, communal laundry and canteen facilities.
The original design of the Kensal House flats was intended to act as a competitor to the advance of electricity as both as lighting and power source. As originally designed, in Kensal House, there was no electricity supply at all.
There was an electrical battery used to ignite the centre ceiling room lights. The wall switch, when pushed downwards activated a cable which opened thr gas flow to the centre room light. This also sent a supply from the battery to a heating element which ignited the gas to the gas mantle, which then lit the room.
Cooking was done on a gas oven, and gas hob, and the heating of the hot water was by way of a gas geyser. (A geyser
by the way was a device which was fixed to the wall in the kitchen; it was about 24 inches high and about 6 inches diameter. It had a water supply connection, and a gas supply connection, and was designed to supply instant hot water whenever it was needed. It worked by way of a water valve, which operated as soon as water flowed through it, because the water also open the gas valve which was then ignited by a small pilot light, which then heated the water to the water tap in both the kitchen and bathroom. Therefore only the required amount of hot water was used, as the water heating only worked when the water flowed through it.)
Room heating was by way of a open coke fire in the sitting room and a gas fire in the main bedroom.
The amenities were: a bathroom and toilet, a fitted kitchen, a gas-heated boiler for clothes washing, a larder cupboard, clothes drying balcony, a further balcony adjoining the living room and bedrooms (two or three in number).
Each flat had a loudspeaker fixed to the wall. There was also a switch which gave a limited choice of programmes. This was all controlled from a radio room on the roof of Kensal House, and the caretaker was the only person with control over what was listened to. While obviously there was an electrical supply to the radio room, there was no control, other than the loudspeaker in the flat.
Communal living facilities weres a great step forward from the norm, with two large green lawn areas, a workshop for the men tenants, and classes for dressmaking and similar activities for the women tenants. The club activities encompassed acting, cooking, and various instructional classes for both sexes. There was a full time caretaker who kept the estate clean and tidy, and who had the additional responsibility of ensuring all children were sent home to their parents at 9 o'clock every evening.
There were two club areas on the ground floor, one for adults and one for young children, in addition there was as purpose-built nursery at the rear of the flats, which also housed a childrens' playground.
For some unknown reason, the Gas Light and Coke Company workers were never actually housed in the flats once built - the property was acquired by a housing trust and let out to the poorer families of the area.
At the start of World War Two, it was decided to provide an air raid shelter for the occupants of Kensal House..
A decision was made to dig up the (beautiful) lawn between the front and rear block of the building (between the two club houses), and consequently a very large hole was dug out in the lawn. When the hole was some 20 to 30 feet deep, someone observed that if a German bomb hit the building, the buildings would collapse over the air raid shelter, and bury those sheltering in them. A panic-stricken authority immediately filled in the costly hole, and began to dig up the rear children's playground where the shelters were finally constructed. While the entrances to the two shelters were filled in at the end of W.W.2., the actual shelters still exist under the playground.
Contribution by Frank HattonLicence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Kensal House, W10 news feed:
Add a comment to the Kensal House, W10 news feed.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Added: 18 Aug 2017 16:00 GMT
Expires: 1 Sep 2017 16:00 GMT
|Post by LDNnews: Ladbroke Grove|
Could You Foster a Child?
Find out more at Kensington Town Hall information evening on 14 September
Added: 13 Aug 2017 21:39 GMT
Expires: 12 Sep 2017 21:39 GMT
|Post by Brenda Jackson: Granville Road, NW6|
My Gt Gt grandparents lived at 83 Pembroke Road before it became Granville Road, They were married in 1874, John Tarrant and Maryann Tarrant nee Williamson.
Her brother George Samuel Williamson lived at 95 Pembroke Road with his fwife Emily and children in the 1881 Census
Apparently the extended family also lived for many years in Alpha Place, Canterbury Road, Peel Road,
Added: 9 Aug 2017 19:00 GMT
Expires: 23 Aug 2017 19:00 GMT
|Post by LDNnews: Latimer Road|
New Prostate Treatment Pioneered at Charing Cross
Rezum could improve lives of one in three men over 50 with common condition
Added: 8 Aug 2017 06:30 GMT
Expires: 22 Aug 2017 06:30 GMT
|Post by LDNnews: Ladbroke Grove|
Register Now to Join Maggie’s Culture Crawl on 29 September
Ten mile fundraising walk includes behind the scenes visits to London landmarks
Added: 7 Aug 2017 18:40 GMT
Expires: 21 Aug 2017 18:40 GMT
|Post by LDNnews: Latimer Road|
West London College Forms Skills Hub with Local Employers
Aiming to ensure students are ready to go straight into work after graduating
Added: 20 Aug 2017 17:20 GMT
Expires: 3 Sep 2017 17:20 GMT
|Post by LDNnews: Bond Street|
Sights for sore eyes
From the Angel of the North to Didcot Power Station, BBC News takes a tour of some the landmarks that signify journey’s end.
Added: 20 Aug 2017 17:20 GMT
Expires: 3 Sep 2017 17:20 GMT
|Post by LDNnews: Blackfriars|
Eighties duo Bros thank fans for support at O2 comeback show
Kicking off with I Owe You Nothing, Matt and Luke Goss roll back the years for Brosettes at the O2.
Added: 20 Aug 2017 17:10 GMT
Expires: 3 Sep 2017 17:10 GMT
|Post by LDNnews: Balham|
This threat to pet cats is growing at an alarming rate - and it’s worst in London and Kent
The so-called Croydon cat killer has been causing great stress to pet owners for a couple of years, but there is another threat to our feline friends which is growing.
Added: 20 Aug 2017 15:40 GMT
Expires: 3 Sep 2017 15:40 GMT
|Post by LDNnews: Acton Town|
This week’s most read stories: Car dealer jailed, Acton double stabbing, Fulham land ex-Wolves star, Hurricane Gert and Galaxy chocolate recall dominates headlines
From the weather to stabbings in Acton, take a look at our most read stories
Added: 20 Aug 2017 14:10 GMT
Expires: 3 Sep 2017 14:10 GMT
|Post by LDNnews: Royal Oak|
National Gallery admits none of its works are insured
The institution’s chairman Hannah Rothschild revealed the art in the central London building is worth so much that the premiums are unaffordable.
Added: 20 Aug 2017 14:00 GMT
Expires: 3 Sep 2017 14:00 GMT
|Post by LDNnews: Dollis Hill|
After Grenfell: a carnival to remember
After Grenfell: a carnival to remember
Added: 20 Aug 2017 12:40 GMT
Expires: 3 Sep 2017 12:40 GMT
|Post by LDNnews: Brent Cross|
I stopped the world’s press photographing Prince Charles with Darth Vader
Welcome back everyone and I hope you are all living life in the fast lane. If you are well done and if not cling on to the wreckage as that is life. We must all adapt as age takes its toll. Decades ago I could run 100 yards in five seconds but today I can only run ten yards provided it is downhill and wind assisted. However, enough about my flatulence health problem and today I am going to take you behind the scenes regarding Elstree Studios.
|VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
| ||Upload an image|
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
| ||Add new information to this location|
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
North Kensington was rural until the 19th century when it was developed as an suburb with quite large homes. By the 1880s, too many houses had been built for the upper-middle class towards whom the area was aimed. Large houses were divided into low cost flats which often degenerated into slums, as documented in the photographs of Roger Mayne.
During the 1980s, the area started to be gentrified although areas in the north west of the district at Ladbroke Grove
and Westbourne Park remain deprived and run down to this day.
Waves of immigrants have arrived for at least a century including, but certainly not limited to, the Spanish, the Irish, the Jews, the West Indians, the Portuguese, the Moroccans and many from the Horn of Africa and Eastern Europe. This constant renewal of the population makes the area one of the most cosmopolitan in London.
The Notting Hill carnival was first staged in 1964 as a way for the local Afro-Caribbean communities to celebrate their own cultures and traditions. After some rough times in the 1970s and 1980s when it became associated with social protest, violence and huge controversy over policing tactics, this is now Europe’s largest carnival/festival event and a major event in the London calendar. It is staged every August over the Bank holiday weekend.
6 East Row, W10: Scott Hatton
|LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
: Scott Hatton lived here in 1960Admiral Blake (The Cowshed)
: The Admiral Blake was situated at the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Barlby Road.Barlby Road Primary School
: Barlby Road Primary School has long served the children of North Kensington.Carmelite Monastery of The Most Holy Trinity
: Convent in North KensingtonChamberlayne Farm
: Chamberlain (Wood) Farm developed out of the manor of Chambers, named after Richard de Camera, an early 13th century cleric.Clayton Arms
: A pub which was situated halfway down West Row in Kensal Town.Color Printing Works
: Color (sic) Printing Works featured on the 1900 map of North Kensington.Dissenters’ Chapel
: The Dissenters’ Chapel is a redundant chapel in Kensal Green Cemetery, recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance
: Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance is the traditional starting point for the Notting Hill Carnival.
Gas Light and Coke Company
: The gasometers of the Gas Light and Coke company dominated North Kensington until demolition in the late 20th century.Help us to build a better W10!
: We are after your memories!Jack of Newbury
: The Jack of Newbury stood at the corner of East Row and Kensal Road until it was bombed on 2 October 1940.Kensal House
: There are two Kensal Houses in London W10 - this was the originalKensal Town
: Soapsuds IslandLads of the Village
: One of the signature public houses along Kensal Road.Middle Row Bus Garage
: Middle Row Bus Garage was situated on the corner of Conlan Street and Middle Row, W10.Middle Row School
: Middle Row School was established in the late 19th century to provide education to the children of Kensal New Town.Portobello Arms
: The Portobello Arms was a former pub in Kensal Town, established in 1842.Queen Victoria/Narrow Boat
: The 'Vic' was the first building on the right when crossing the canal going north along Ladbroke Grove.Queens Park Estate
: The part of Queen's Park which is in the W10 postcode and City of Westminster, is known as the Queens Park Estate.Queen’s Park Library
: Queen’s Park Library was built to improve the minds of the new Queen’s Park Estate residents.Saint John the Evangelist
: Saint John’s Church stands on the busy crossroads of Harrow Road, Kilburn Lane and Ladbroke Grove and on the boundaries of the London Boroughs of Brent, Kensington and the City of Westminster, in which it stands. St Charles Hospital
: The St Marylebone workhouse infirmary was opened in 1881 on Rackham Street, North Kensington and received a congratulatory letter from Florence Nightingale.St Martins Mission
: Saint Martin's Mission was originally known as Rackham Hall as it was situated on Rackham Street. The Eagle
: The Eagle, on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Telford Road.The Earl Derby
: The Earl Derby stood on the corner of Southern Row and Bosworth Road.The Flora
: The Flora is situated on Harrow Road, W10.The Foresters
: A lost pub of London W10The Prince of Wales (Chilled Eskimo)
: A pub in Kensal TownWedlake Street Baths
: In a time when most had somewhere to live but few had somewhere to wash at home, public baths were the place to go...Western Arms
: The Western Arms was a pub situated on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Kensal Road.Adair Road junction with Southam Street (1932)
: A wet day in London W10.Adair Road, W10
: Adair Road junction with Appleford Road, March 1964Adair Road, W10
: Adair Road is a street on the Kensal Town/North Kensington borders.Corner of Rackham Street, Ladbroke Grove (1950)
: The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.Exmoor Street (1950)
: Photographed just after the Second World War, looking north along Exmoor Street.Ladbroke Grove looking north (1900)
: This early 1900s image was taken just south of the junction of Ladbroke Grove and Treverton Street.Ladbroke Grove looking north (1950)
: Ladbroke Grove on the corner of St Charles Sqaure taken outside the Eagle
public house, looking north, just prior to the outbreak of the Second World War.Ladbroke Grove railway bridge
: Looking north over Bartle Bridge in the 1950sLothrop Street (1907)
: 2015Rackham Street, eastern end (1950)
: The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.Rackham Street, western end (1950)
: A bombed-out Rackham Street, looking down from the junction with Exmoor Street.St Charles Square after bombing (1950)
: A corner of St Charles Square looking north, just after the Second World WarSt Charles Square ready for redevelopment (1951)
: Photographed in 1951, the corner of St Charles Square and Ladbroke Grove looking northwest just after the Second World War.The Victoria (1920s)
: The Victoria later became the Narrow Boat before it ’conveniently burned down’.Western Dwellings from below (1960s)
: This photo was taken from the bottom of Southern Row steps.William Miller's Yard
: William Miller's Yard stood in Chapel Place, West Row.
Adair Road, W10
|NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
· Adela Street, W10
· Admiral Mews, W10
· Alderson Street, W10
· Appleford House, W10
· Appleford Road, W10
· Banister Road, W10
· Barlby Gardens, W10
· Bosworth Road, W10
· Branstone Street, W10
· Briar Walk, W10
· Bruce Close, W10
· Buller Road, NW10
· Canal Close, W10
· Canal Way, W10
· Compton Road, NW10
· Conlan Street, W10
· Droop Street, W10
· East Row, W10
· Edenham Way, W10
· Elkstone Road, W10
· Embrook Street, W10
· Enbrook Street, W10
· Exmoor Street, W10
· Faraday Road, W10
· Farrant Street, W10
· Fifth Avenue, W10
· Fourth Avenue, W10
· Galton Street, W10
· Galton Street, W10
· Golborne Gardens, W10
· Hawthorn Walk, W10
· Hazlewood Crescent, W10
· Heather Walk, W10
· Hewer Street, W10
· Huxley Street, W10
· Ilbert Street, W10
· Kensal Road, W10
· Kilravock Street, W10
· Ladbroke Grove, W10
· Lavie Mews, W10
· Lionel Mews, W10
· Lothrop Street, W10
· Manchester Drive, W10
· Maple Walk, W10
· Marne Street, W10
· Matthew Close, W10
· Maxilla Walk, W10
· Middle Row, W10
· Munro Mews, W10
· Nutbourne Street, W10
· Oliphant Street, W10
· Peach Road, W10
· Pember Road, NW10
· Porlock Street, W10
· Rackham Street, W10
· Raymede Street, W10
· Regent Street, NW10
· Ronan Walk, W10
· Sixth Avenue, W10
· Southern Row, W10
· St Johns Terrace, W10
· Sycamore Walk, W10
· Symphony Mews, W10
· Telford Road, W10
· The Quadrant, W10
· Treverton Street, W10
· Warfield Road, NW10
· Wedlake Street, W10
· Wellington Road, NW10
· West Row, W10
· Western Dwellings
· Wheatstone Road, W10
· Wornington Road, W10
|USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES|
- If you wish to link to this article in another article, copy the text in blue: [[3174|Kensal House, W10]] - you can change the italic text to suit your text
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *L1078L* for a left-aligned image
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *R1078R* for a right-aligned image