The Jack of Newbury stood at the corner of East Row
and Kensal Road
until it was bombed on 2 October 1940.
The licencees at the time of the bombing were Mr & Mrs William Bond who were killed in the raid.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
User unknown/public domain
Kensal New Town was built between the Grand Central Canal (which opened in 1801) and the Great Western Railway line (opening in 1837) in the 1840s.
Single-storey cottages with gardens suitable for drying clothes were the first buildings and Kensal Road
, Middle Row
, West Row
, East Row
and Southern Row
all appeared between 1841 and 1851. The rows of cottages quickly degenerated into a slum, mainly due to overcrowding, industrialisation and pollution.
The area was dominated by the Western Gas Company and Kensal Cemetery, which provided work but did little to improve the environment. Women were primarily involved in laundry work giving the area its nickname of ‘Soapsuds Island’.
The area was isolated from the rest of London at a time when Portobello Lane (now Portobello Road
) was a muddy track sometimes impassable in bad weather.
Cut off from the municipal authorities it was left to charities to attempt to alleviate the social and health problems.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the cottage laundry industry began to be replaced by larger mechanized concerns.
In 1902 Charles Booth described it as, “Just as full of children and poverty as was the old woman’s dwelling in the nursery rhyme.” By this date the area had been transferred to the newly formed Royal Borough of Kensington. When the Piggeries and Potteries in Notting Dale were finally cleared in the early 20th century most of the displaced residents moved north into Golborne ward and Kensal.
By 1923 in the Southam Street
area 140 houses contained some 2500 inhabitants. A series of evocative photographs by Roger Mayne in the 1950s showed that little had changed. It was only from the 1960s that the overcrowded and dilapidated terraces were cleared and replaced by social housing including Goldfinger’s Trellick Tower