Print-friendly version of this page Stag LaneBurnt Oak tube station is a London Underground station in on the Edgware branch of the Northern Line, between Edgware and Colindale stations.
Aerodrome was a private aerodrome between 1915 and 1934.
The land for an aerodrome was purchased by the London & Provincial Aviation Company during October 1915. The company used the aerodrome for flying training during the First World War. London & Provincial ceased flying in July 1919 after a dispute with Department of Civil Aviation (see United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority), which refused them a licence.
became the main base of The de Havilland Aircraft Company Limited in 1920. Former wartime aircraft were refurbished in the early years, and the company designed and built large numbers of aircraft at Stag Lane
in the 1920s and early 1930s. In 1934 the company moved to a larger factory and airfield at Hatfield Aerodrome, Hatfield, Hertfordshire.
Aerodrome was sold for housing development in 1933, though a small 15-acre (61,000 m2) site was retained as a factory and offices for The de Havilland Engine Company Limited. The last flight from the airfield was a de Havilland Hornet Moth in July 1934.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
User unknown/public domain
The name Burnt Oak
was first used in 1754 and from then until the 1850s referred to no more than a field on the eastern side of the Edgware Road
(Watling Street). Nor is there evidence that the name implies anything except that the field had once contained a burnt oak tree.
In May 1844 Burnt Oak field was sold to a Mr Essex, and by the 1860s plans were in place to build three residential streets: North Street, East Street, and South Street. The application of the field name to the area seems to have followed from this new estate and was in use by the end of the 19th century.
However, the area was generally known as Red Hill until the opening of Burnt Oak tube station.
The station was designed by architect Stanley Heaps and opened as Burnt Oak (Watling)
on the 27 October 1924
, two months after the extension of the Hampstead & Highgate Line from Hendon Central to Edgware had opened. The station was originally provided with a temporary structure before the final ticket office building was constructed in 1925. The suffix was dropped from the name about 1950.