Alsatia was the name given to an area lying north of the River Thames covered by the Whitefriars monastery.
Between the fifteenth and seventeenth centuries it had the privilege of a sanctuary and as a result it was the refuge of the perpetrators of every grade of crime, debauchery, and offence against the laws.
The execution of a warrant there, if at any time practicable, was attended with great danger, as all united in a maintenance in common of the immunity of the place. It was one of the last places of sanctuary used in England, abolished by Act of Parliament named The Escape from Prison Act in 1697 and a further Act in 1723.
Eleven other places in London were named in the Acts (The Minories, The Mint, Salisbury Court, Whitefriars
If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location. Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Added: 16 Dec 2017 09:00 GMT
Expires: 30 Dec 2017 09:00 GMT
Post by LDNnews: Barbican Police hunt after 'gay men punched and told you are not welcome in homophobic attacks' in Walthamstow Police are hunting a suspect after gay men were punched and told "you are not welcome" in east London.
Post by LDNnews: Cannon Street Crystal Palace striker Christian Benteke admits he's going through 'tough time' as goal drought continues Christian Benteke has admitted he is going through a "tough time" at Crystal Palace but the forward is confident he will end his goal drought.
Post by LDNnews: Russell Square Failure to rehouse Grenfell survivors ’could worsen mental health’ Health officials and support groups warn of fresh wave of post-traumatic stress six months after disaster that killed 71 peopleGrenfell Tower: delays and trauma mark painfully slow progressSurvivors of the Grenfell Tower disaster are facing a new wave of post-traumatic stress with their chances of treatment hampered because so many victims remain homeless, experts and victims’ representatives have warned.Six months after the west London tower block burned down, NHS staff and representatives of the bereaved said that because only 45 of the 210 households made homeless have been permanently resettled, victims cannot begin proper psychological treatment to address symptoms. These include often horrific memories and flashbacks from the fire, which killed 71 people, including 18 children. Continue reading...
Post by LDNnews: Charing Cross New football programme provides ’exciting’ opportunities for girls A new football programme for girls run in partnership with a sixth form college aims to build a bridge between sports coaching and academic courses.
Post by LDNnews: Chancery Lane Inspirational Sutton teacher named as ambassador for female sport
A Sutton PE teacher has been named as an ambassador for TeamUp for her dedication in getting girls involved in sport.
Blackfriars station was opened on 30 May 1870 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR; now the District and Circle lines) as the railway's new eastern terminus when the line was extended from Westminster. The construction of the new section of the MDR was planned in conjunction with the building of the Victoria Embankment and was achieved by the cut and cover method of roofing over a shallow trench.
The station straddles the River Thames occupying the length of Blackfriars Railway Bridge, and since December 2011 there have been station buildings, with passenger entrance, on both sides of the river. Previously there were buildings and entrances on the north side only. Blackfriars Bridge is a road bridge running parallel to the rail bridge.
Blackfriars is also the name of an area of central London, which lies in the south-west corner of the City of London. The name was first used in 1317 and derives from the black cappa worn by the Dominican Friars who moved their priory from Holborn to the area between the River Thames and Ludgate Hill in 1276.
LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
All Hallows Bread Street: All Hallows Bread Street was a parish church in the Bread Street ward of the City of London. All Hallows Honey Lane: All Hallows, Honey Lane was parish church in the City of London. Bank: Bank station, interlinked with Monument station, forms a complex public transport hub spanning the length of King William Street in the City of London. Blackfriars: Blackfriars station was opened on 30 May 1870 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR; now the District and Circle lines) as the railway's new eastern terminus when the line was extended from Westminster. The construction of the new section of the MDR was planned in conjunction with the building of the Victoria Embankment and was achieved by the cut and cover method of roofing over a shallow trench. Blackfriars Bridge railway station: Blackfriars Bridge railway station was a railway station on the London, Chatham and Dover Railway (LC&DR). It was constructed in 1864 and, for six months, was the northern terminus for a line from Herne Hill via Loughborough Junction. It was part of a scheme by the company to extend into the City of London. It ceased to be the terminus when the line was extended across the River Thames to Ludgate Hill where a temporary station in New Bridge Street was opened on 21 December 1864. City of London: The City of London constituted most of London from its settlement by the Romans in the 1st century AD to the Middle Ages, but the conurbation has since grown far beyond its borders. Great Conduit: The Great Conduit was a man-made underground channel which brought drinking water from the Tyburn to Cheapside in the City. Guildhall Art Gallery: The Guildhall Art Gallery houses the art collection of the City of London and has the ruins of London's Roman Amphitheatre in its basement. Half Moon Court, EC1A: Halfmoon Court is the southern most of five passages leading eastward from Kinghorn Street. Hicks Hall: Hicks Hall (1611 - 1778) was a building in St John Street, Clerkenwell, London. Holborn Circus, EC1N: Holborn Circus is a junction of five highways in the City of London, on the boundary between Holborn, Hatton Garden and Smithfield. Hospital of St Thomas of Acre: The Hospital of St Thomas of Acre was the medieval London headquarters of the Knights of Saint Thomas. Maison Novelli: Maison Novelli was a restaurant in Clerkenwell, Central London, located opposite the Old Session House. Mansion House: Mansion House is a London Underground station in the City of London, near Mansion House (although Bank station is actually closer to that). Mermaid Tavern: The Mermaid Tavern was a notable tavern during the Elizabethan era. Smithfield, London: Smithfield is a locality in the ward of Farringdon Without situated at the City of London’s northwest in central London, England. St Andrew, Holborn: The Church of St Andrew, Holborn stands within the Ward of Farringdon Without. St Bartholomew’s Hospital: St Bartholomew’s Hospital, also known simply as Barts and later more formally as The Royal Hospital of St Bartholomew, is a hospital located at Smithfield in the City of London and founded in 1123. St Benet Sherehog: St Benet Sherehog was a medieval parish church built before the year 1111 in Cordwainer Ward, in what was then the wool-dealing district. St Botolph’s: St. Botolph’s without Aldgate, located on Aldgate High Street, has existed for over a thousand years. St James Garlickhythe: James Garlickhythe is a Church of England parish church in Vintry ward of the City of London, nicknamed "˜Wren’s lantern" owing to its profusion of windows. St John the Evangelist Friday Street: St John the Evangelist Friday Street was a church in Bread Street Ward of the City of London. St John’s Gate, Clerkenwell: St John’s Gate is one of the few tangible remains from Clerkenwell’s monastic past; it was built in 1504 by Prior Thomas Docwra as the south entrance to the inner precinct of Clerkenwell Priory, the priory of the Knights of Saint John - the Knights Hospitallers. St Magnus-the-Martyr: St Magnus the Martyr church is dedicated to St Magnus the Martyr, earl of Orkney, who died on 16 April 1116. St Martin Pomary: St Martin Pomeroy was a parish church in the Cheap ward of the City of London. St Mary Aldermary: The Guild Church of St Mary Aldermary is an Anglican church located in Watling Street at the junction with Bow Lane, in the City of London. St Mary Colechurch: St Mary Colechurch was a parish church in the City of London destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and not rebuilt. St Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street: Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street was a church in Castle Baynard ward of the City of London, located on the corner of Old Fish Street and Old Change, on land now covered by post-War development. St Mary-le-Bow: St Mary-le-Bow is an historic church rebuilt after the Great Fire of 1666 by Sir Christopher Wren. According to tradition a true Cockney must be born within earshot of the sound of Bow Bells.
St Mildred, Bread Street: The church of St Mildred, Bread Street, stood on the east side of Bread Street in the Bread Street Ward of the City of London. St Nicholas Cole Abbey: St. Nicholas Cole Abbey is a church in the City of London located on what is now Queen Victoria Street. St Paul's: St Paul's is a London Underground station located in the City of London financial district which takes its name from the nearby St Paul's Cathedral. St Peter, Westcheap: St Peter, Westcheap, sometimes known simply as ’St Peter Cheap’, was a parish church in the City of London. St Thomas the Apostle: St Thomas the Apostle was a parish church in Knightrider Street in the City of London. St. Mary Magdalen, Milk Street: St. Mary Magdalen, Milk Street, was a parish church in the City of London, England. It was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and not rebuilt. Steelyard: The Steelyard was the main trading base (kontor) of the Hanseatic League in London during 15th and 16th centuries. Temple Bar: Temple Bar is the point in London where Fleet Street, City of London, becomes the Strand, Westminster, and where the City of London traditionally erected a barrier to regulate trade into the city. Tenter Ground: Tenter Ground harks back to the seventeenth century when this patch of land was surrounded by weavers’ houses and workshops and used to wash and stretch their fabrics on ’tenters’ to dry. Thavie’s Inn: Thavie’s Inn was a former Inn of Chancery, associated with Lincoln’s Inn, established at Holborn, near the site of the present side street and office block still known as Thavies Inn Buildings.
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches.
Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés.
Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death.
The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.