Flitcroft Estate

Agricultural/Land Estate in/near Fortune Green, existed between 1626 and 1883

Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Agricultural/Land Estate · Fortune Green · NW6 · Contributed by The Underground Map
Today Frognal Grove is a housing estate which lies to west of Hampstead High Street. It was originally a Georgian mansion designed by Henry Flitcroft for himself and finished in 1750. It was famous for its impressive avenue of lime trees leading up to the entrance of the house.
Credit: Artist: Maria Catherine Prestel (1747-94)

Flitcroft was a 50 acre estate at Fortune Green and West End, named after its owner in the 18th century.

At the core of Flitcroft was 28 acres of land left by Rachel Farby in 1626 to a certain William Clark. In 1756, it was bought by an agent for the architect Henry Flitcroft (or Fleetcroft).

Flitcroft farmhouse lay just north of West End Green but the estate was effectively managed by Flitcroft from his house at Frognal Grove, Hampstead.

By 1866, the estate has passed to Mary Ann Porter. The 20 acres north of Fortune Green was sold to the parish for a cemetery in 1874.

The rest of the estate was given over to the builders in the 1880s. Although the name Parsifal Road was approved in 1883, no houses went up there until the 1890s but Hackney or New College, a brick building with majolica dressings designed by W. P. Manning, was built at the eastern end in 1887.

The National Standard Land Mortgage and Investment Co. constructed Ingham and Burrard roads between Fortune Green Road and Finchley Road in 1885 and 64 small terraced houses were constructed there between 1886 and 1892 by Rathbone, Gray, Pulling, Brown, and other builders, while much of the frontage on Fortune Green Road and Finchley Road was covered with houses and shops.

A Congregational church was built at the junction of Burrard Road and Finchley Roads in 1894. Between 1890 and 1897, about 13 larger detached or semi-detached houses were built in Parsifal Road.

A land company was probably also involved in building lower middle-class terraces on the rest of the Flitcroft estate south of the cemetery and west of Fortune Green, where fear of the cemetery outweighed the advantage of adjacent open space.

W. H. Suttle, of Agamemnon Road, was the main builder of 155 houses in Agamemnon, Ajax, Ulysses, and Achilles Roads between 1886 and 1896.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

Add your own contribution to Flitcroft Estate.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to Flitcroft Estate:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Added: 20 Feb 2018 18:57 GMT   
Expires: 22 Mar 2018 18:57 GMT   
Post by LiaUntole: Cannon Hill, NW6

Amoxicillin Used To Treat Chlamydia cheap cialis Supply Of Keflex Priligy Mexico 2011
Irene Whitby..maiden name crighton
Irene Whitby..maiden name crighton   
Added: 17 Nov 2017 22:50 GMT   
Expires: 3 Feb 2271 10:02 GMT   
Post by Irene Whitby..maiden name crighton: Netherwood Street, NW6

I was born at 63netherwood street.need to know who else lived there.i think I moved out because of a fire but not sure
Cassandra Green
Cassandra Green   
Added: 19 Sep 2017 21:39 GMT   
Expires: 3 Feb 2271 10:02 GMT   
Post by Cassandra Green: Rudall Crescent, NW3

I lived at 2 Rudall Crescent until myself and my family moved out in 1999. I once met a lady in a art fair up the road who was selling old photos of the area and was very knowledgeable about the area history, collecting photos over the years. She told me that before the current houses were built, there was a large manor house , enclosed by a large area of land. She told me there had been a fire there. Im trying to piece together the story and find out what was on the land before the crescent was built. This website is very interesting.
Added: 18 Mar 2018 08:20 GMT   
Expires: 1 Apr 2018 08:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: St Johns Wood
Manchester machete attack: Man left with life-changing injuries as police hunt three suspects over stabbing in Barca bar
A man has been left with life-changing injuries after a "chilling" machete attack at a bar in Manchester.

Added: 17 Mar 2018 08:00 GMT   
Expires: 31 Mar 2018 08:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: St Johns Wood
Newham mayor Sir Robin Wales deselected after 23 years
Rokhsana Fiaz will replace Sir Robin Wales as the Labour candidate for elected mayor of Newham.

Added: 16 Mar 2018 16:20 GMT   
Expires: 30 Mar 2018 16:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: West Hampstead
An Insight with: Ellias from David’s Deli
One of the pleasures of writing West Hampstead Life is writing these Insights during which we get to know some familiar West Hampstead faces a bit better, behind the facade even. This month’s is no exception as we caught up with Ellias from David’s Deli. We all know him as Ellias, in fact his full […]

Added: 16 Mar 2018 08:00 GMT   
Expires: 30 Mar 2018 08:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: St Johns Wood
Grenfell Tower doors ’resisted fire for half the time expected’
Experts say the door was supposed to resist fire for 30 minutes, but only lasted 15 minutes.

Added: 15 Mar 2018 08:20 GMT   
Expires: 29 Mar 2018 08:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: St Johns Wood
England’s powerful historic sites
Historic England is drawing up a list of locations which "best represent the history" of the country.

Added: 14 Mar 2018 08:00 GMT   
Expires: 28 Mar 2018 08:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: St Johns Wood
Five English councils told to adopt integration plans
Bradford and Blackburn are among the councils given help to improve integration and community relations.

Added: 13 Mar 2018 07:20 GMT   
Expires: 27 Mar 2018 07:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: St Johns Wood
Raped woman married-off for money and visa, court told
A judge rules the marriage which took place at Northampton Islamic Centre was not valid.

Added: 12 Mar 2018 23:20 GMT   
Expires: 26 Mar 2018 23:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: West Hampstead
What have you missed since March 5th?
What have you missed since March 5th?

Added: 12 Mar 2018 11:20 GMT   
Expires: 26 Mar 2018 11:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: St Johns Wood
Man given life sentence for Brixton stab murder
Alando Bolt, 45, of Adelaide Close, Lambeth was convicted of the murder of 30-year-old Andrew Thompson.

Added: 11 Mar 2018 08:00 GMT   
Expires: 25 Mar 2018 08:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: St Johns Wood
Liz Hurley reveals nephew lost more than four pints of blood in 'brutal' knife attack in south London
Liz Hurley has said her nephew lost more than four pints of blood after being repeatedly stabbed in a mob attack in south London.

Added: 10 Mar 2018 09:20 GMT   
Expires: 24 Mar 2018 09:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: St Johns Wood
Carluccio’s is latest restaurant chain to feel the heat
A third of the UK’s top 100 restaurant chains make no profit as higher costs gobble up takings.

Added: 10 Mar 2018 01:00 GMT   
Expires: 24 Mar 2018 01:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Hampstead
George Rose: Death in the Caribbean
Actor George Rose travelled an unusual path from Bicester to Broadway. He lived in West Hampstead for the best part of a decade while he learned his craft from great actors and directors such as Tyrone Guthrie, Laurence Olivier, Peter Brook and John Gielgud. And after a very successful career on the stage, he died […]

Added: 9 Mar 2018 07:20 GMT   
Expires: 23 Mar 2018 07:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: St Johns Wood
House of Commons Speaker John Bercow named in bullying claims
Newsnight learns of claims that Speaker John Bercow and two other MPs mistreated Commons employees.

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 Read blog
We have featured this location on a blog entry.
Please note that our blog will open in a new window.

 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Fortune Green

Fortune Green was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now Finchley Road) in the 1830s.

The name of Fortune Green is derived from foran-tune meaning in front of the tun, probably an inn in the area.

Originally Fortune Green was a patch of manorial waste, now in the north of the ward, where local residents had the right to graze animals, dig turf and play sports. The Green dwindled considerably in the 19th century when the lord of the manor granted enclosure rights for about a third of the area.

Lying on the south-west side of the Finchley Road, Hampstead town council decided to build its overflow cemetery here in the 1840s.

The arrival of the Midland Railway in 1871 brought rapid development and many large houses were demolished in favour of higher density buildings. Victorian residential buildings display considerable variety in their design and detail and there are a number of large distinctive red brick mansion blocks, most of which have remained unaltered.

Alice House:   What is now the Alice House has been through a number of incarnations since it was built in the early 1900s.
Beckford's Estate:   Beckfords, belonging to the family of the same name, consisted of 15 acres north of Mill Lane and west of Fortune Green Lane.
Bracknell Way, NW3:   Bracknell Way is a small alleyway, usable only by pedestrians
Canterbury House:   In the last half of the nineteenth century, a white house called Canterbury was built on the then southern fringes of West End.
Cedars:   A local West Hampstead builder, Thomas Potter, constructed Cedars in 1878.
Cholmley Lodge:   Cholmley Lodge, a two storeyed stuccoed house, was built in 1813.
Cock and Hoop:   The Cock and Hoop Inn was standing on the corner of West End Lane and Fortune Green Road by 1723.
Fortune Green:   Fortune Green was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now Finchley Road) in the 1830s.
Fortune Green:   Fortune Green lies to the north of the ancient village of West End.
Hackney College:   The Village Itinerancy Society, a Congregationalist college, was transformed into Hackney Theological Seminary.
Hillfield:   By 1644 Hillfield was already mentioned in parish records.
Jacksfield:   Jacksfield was one of the smaller but well-documented copyhold estates in the West Hampstead area.
Lauriston Lodge:   Lauriston Lodge, now the site of Dene Mansions, was a large house in West Hampstead.
National School:   A National School was established in West End during 1844.
New West End:   New West End was created in the 1840s on the Finchley Road.
Poplar House:   Poplar House was occupied by one of the first developers of West Hampstead, Thomas Potter.
Potter's Iron Foundry:   In the nineteenth century, many West Hampstead people had jobs in Potter’s Iron Foundry.
Ripley House:   Jeremy Jepson Ripley built a house and coach house after 1814, with a large garden north of Lauriston Lodge.
Sandwell House:   Sandwell House was owned by three generations of the Wachter family.
Temple Park:   Temple Park is one of the smaller suburbs of north London.
The Black Lion:   The Old Black Lion was established in 1751 as a beer house.
The Wet Fish Cafe:   The Wet Fish Café is an Art Deco classic at 242 West End Lane.
Thorplands:   Thorplands was an estate south of Mill Lane.
Treherne House:   Treherne House was built in the mid eighteenth century,
West Cottages, NW6:   Cottages in London NW6.
West End Green:   West End Green is situated on a corner of West End Lane, formerly the location of West End Fair.
West End Hall:   West End Hall (once called New West End Hall) was one of the mansions of West End (West Hampstead).
West Hampstead Police Station:   The Metropolitam Police established itself in West Hampstead during the 1880s.
West Hampstead Synagogue:   The West Hampstead Synagogue was consecrated in September 1892.
Woodbine Cottage:   Woodbine Cottage was situated at the south-eastern corner of the Flitcroft estate.

Achilles Road, NW6 · Agamemnon Road, NW6 · Ajax Road, NW6 · Aldred Road, NW6 · Ardwick Road, NW2 · Avenue Mansions, NW3 · Berridge Mews, NW6 · Bracknell Gardens, NW3 · Bracknell Way, NW3 · Buckingham Mansions, NW6 · Burrard Road, NW3 · Burrard Road, NW6 · Cannon Hill, NW3 · Cannon Hill, NW6 · Carlton Mews, NW6 · Cholmley Gardens, NW6 · Crediton Hill, NW6 · Croft Way, NW3 · Croftway, NW3 · Dennington Park Road, NW6 · Fawley Road, NW6 · Fortune Green Road, NW3 · Fortune Green Road, NW6 · Glenbrook Road, NW6 · Gondar Gardens, NW6 · Harvard Court, NW6 · Heath Drive, NW3 · Hillfield Road, NW6 · Holmdale Road, NW6 · Honeybourne Road, NW6 · Ingham Road, NW3 · Ingham Road, NW6 · Inglewood House, NW6 · Inglewood Road, NW6 · Kidderpore Avenue, NW3 · Kidderpore Gardens, NW3 · Kingdon Road, NW6 · Liddell Road, NW6 · Lymington Road, NW6 · Lyncroft Gardens, NW6 · Marlborough Mansions, NW6 · Mill Lane, NW6 · Narcissus Road, NW6 · Norman Terrace, NW6 · Oakhill Avenue, NW3 · Orestes Mews, NW6 · Pandora Road, NW6 · Parsifal Road, NW3 · Parsifal Road, NW6 · Rose Joan Mews, NW6 · Salmon Mews, NW6 · Sandwell Crescent, NW6 · Solent Road, NW6 · Studholme Court, NW3 · Sumatra Road, NW6 · The Mansions, NW6 · Ulysses Place, E20 · Ulysses Road, NW6 · Wayne Kirkum Way, NW6 · Weech Road, NW6 · Welbeck Mansions, NW6 · West Cottages, NW6 ·

Print-friendly version of this page


Friends of Fortune Green
Community site
West Hampstead
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.