Wakemans Hill Avenue, NW9

Road might date from the first world war period. Most of the urban landscape is interwar

Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Acklington Drive · Aerodrome Road · Aerodrome Road · Aeroville · Airco Close · Annesley Avenue · Ash Tree Dell · Audax · Aviation Drive · Avion Crescent · Baird Close · Barnhill Road · Barningham Way · Beaulieu Close · Beverley Drive · Black Leaf · Blundell Road · Booth Road · Booth Road · Boulevard Drive · Bovingdon Lane · Bowater Close · Boycroft Avenue · Braemar Gardens · Brent Park Road · Briarwood Close · British Library Newspapers · Broadhead Strand · Broadview · Brooklea Close · Buck Lane · Byron Avenue · Camarthen Green · Capitol Way · Carlisle Road · Carlton Lounge · Carter Close · Cecil Road · Chancellor Place · Charcot Road · Chequers Close · Cherry Close · Clayton Field · Clovelly Avenue · Club Marina · Colin Close · Colindale · Colindale Avenue · Comet · Coningsby Avenue · Coniston Gardens · Corner Mead · Cottenham Drive · Cranfield Drive · Crummock Gardens · Deerfield Close · Denmark Hill Drive · Derwent Avenue · Derwent Rise · Douglas · Eagle Drive · East Drive · Elmwood Crescent · Elvington Lane · Ember Court · Ennerdale Drive · Erin’s Hope · European Business Centre · Evelyn Avenue · Everglade Strand · Fairfields Close · Fairfields Crescent · Fairway Avenue · Falcon Way · Ferndene · Five Acre · Forest Gate · Fryent Crescent · Fryent Fields · Fulbeck Drive · Funky Brownz · Further Acre · Galy · Gaydon Lane · Grahame Park · Grahame Park Health Centre · Grahame Park Way · Grahame Park · Great Field · Great Strand · Greenway Close · Greenway Gardens · Gresswell · Grove Crescent · Grove Park · Halt Parade · Harrier Road · Hay Lane · Haydon Close · Hayland Close · Hazel Close · Hemswell Drive · Heritage Avenue · Heybourne Crescent · Heywood Avenue · High Meadow Crescent · Highcroft · Highfield Avenue · Highfield Close · Hill View Gardens · Hillfield Avenue · Hillside · Holmstall Avenue · Hudson · Hundred Acre · JoNo’s · Joslin Avenue · Kenley Avenue · Kent Court · Kestrel Close · Kingsbury Road · Lanacre Avenue · Lancaster Close · Larch Green · Larkway Close · Lingard Avenue · Linklea Close · Little Strand · Lodore Gardens · Long Field · Long Mead · Lower Strand · Manor Way · Mardale Drive · Marlow Court · Martynside · Mead Court · Meadow Way · Milton Avenue · Moineau · Montrose Avenue · Montrose Playing Fields · Mornington Close · Mount Drive · Mountaire Court · Near Acre · North Acre · North Green · North Way · Northgate Drive · Oak Tree Dell · Old Kenton Lane · Orchard Gate · Pageant Avenue · Park Gardens · Park Road · Park Road · Pasteur Close · Pear Close · Peel Drive · Piper’s Green · Portman Gardens · Power’s Bar · Priestley Way · Propeller Way · Propeller Way · Quakers Course · RAF Museum · Randall · Rankin Close · Raven Close · Reets Farm Close · Ridge Close · Roe End · Roe Green · Roe Green Park · Roe Green · Roe Lane · Rookery Close · Rose Glen · Ross Court · Rushgrove Park · Ruthin Close · Rydal Gardens · Sandhurst Road · Scudamore Lane · Shorts Croft · Silk Bridge · Silk Stream (1916) · Silkfield Road · Silver Jubilee Park · Snowdon Drive · South Mead · Southbourne Avenue · Springfield Gardens · Springfield Mount · St Georges Avenue · Stancroft · Stonecrop Close · Stubbs Close · Summit Avenue · Summit Close · Sunningdale Gardens · Sunny View · Sunnyside Terrace · Swan Drive · Talgarth Walk · Tangmere Way · Tennyson Avenue · Tewkesbury Gardens · The Broadway · The Chandos Arms · The Concourse · The Edgware Road in Colindale · The Green Man · The Greenhouse · The Greenway · The Grove · The Loning · The Mall · The Moon Under Water · The Retreat · The Ridgeway · The Shanakee · Tintern Avenue · Trenchard Close · Tyre Lane · Uphill Drive · Valentine · Wardell Field · Warmwell Avenue · Westfield Close · Windover Avenue · Wingfield Children Family Centre · Withers Mead · Woodfield Avenue
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Colindale · NW9 ·

Wakemans Hill Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.



Colindale is an area of north London lying to the northwest of Hendon.

Formerly in the borough and ancient parish of Hendon, Colindale was essentially the dale between Mill Hill and Burroughs. By the middle of the 20th century, it had come to include that part of the Edgware Road between The Hyde, and Burnt Oak.

The area is named after a 16th century family of the same name. Until the 20th century Collindale, was without any buildings save for a large house called Collindale Lodge, Collindale Farm, and a few cottages. (A spelling with two L’s has been used, as on this printed in 1873.) All of these properties were on Collindeep Lane, which had in the medieval period been an alternative route out of London (via Hampstead, Golders Green, and Hendon) to the Edgware Road. By the end of the 16th century it was not often used as a main road, and by the middle part of the 19th century was called Ancient Street.

By the end of the 19th century cheap land prices made Colindale attractive to developers. Colindale Hospital was started in 1898 as an asylum for the long term sick of central London, and The Government Lymph Establishment for making vaccines was built in 1907. By 1996 the majority of the hospital was closed, and at present lies mostly derelict. In 1902 the British Museum built a new depository, and kept the newspaper collection there from 1934.

Garston’s Ltd established a trunk factory in 1901, as well as a row of cottages called Leatherville, as such they constitute the first manufacturer in the Collindale. By 1914 there was already housing between Colindale Avenue and Annesley avenues mostly to house the workers of these endeavours. Immediately after the First World War a number of other manufacturing companies came to Colindale. Franco Illuminated Signs came to Aerodrome Road in 1922. They made their money making the lights for the Franco British Exhibition (1909), from which they took their name (later abbreviated to Franco). They were best known for the neon signs to be found in Piccadilly from the 1920s to the 1970s. Frigidaire started in a wooden shack in Aerodrome Road, employing 11 people in 1923, and selling the first automatic household fridges in England. The reason why many of these and other companies chose Colindale was that there was land available for expansion. However by 1923 the tube railway reached Colindale, land prices increased and factory expansion was not realisable. A number of industries looked elsewhere for premises. In 1931 Fridgdaire, for example, decided to build a new manufacturing plant on the Edgware Road and had moved its entire operations there by 1946.

Colindale station opened on 18 August 1924 on what was then the Hampstead and Highgate Line as the first station on the second section of the Underground’s extension to Edgware.

After the station opened suburban development was rapid, and by 1939 much of the western side was semi-detached housing. Typical is the Colin Park Estate built by F. H. Stucke & Co, built around Colindeep Lane (1927). A number of the houses on this estate are by the architect E. G. Trobridge. St Matthias started as a mission church in 1905. Its permanent building was opened in 1934 and rebuilt 1971-3. Colindale infants’ school was started in Colindeep Lane in 1921, with a new building constructed in Woodfield Avenue in 1933. In September of 1940 Colindale tube station and the Newpaper Library (rebuilt 1957) were bombed, and the site was visited by George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the late Queen Mother. The V1 flying bombs hit Colindale Hospital on 1 July 1944 killing four members of the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force.

Places of interest include the British Library newspaper depository, the Royal Air Force Museum, Barnet College, and the Peel Centre (better known as Hendon Police College).

A small brook, a tributary of the River Brent called the Silk Stream, runs north to south. Here also is the Grahame Park Estate, built on the former Hendon Aerodrome.
Print-friendly version of this page


Northwest Middlesex (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
From Harrow Weald in the northwest to West Hendon in the southeast, and from Stirling Corner in the northeast to Harrow in the southwest.
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.