Aldwych, WC2B

Road in/near Holborn, existing between 1905 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
18.206.168.65 
Adam Street · Adelphi Terrace · Africa House · Aldwych · Aldwych · Aldwych · Alsatia · Arundel Street · Atkin Building · Bainbridge Street · Bainbridge Street · Bear Street · Beaumont Buildings · Bedford Row · Bell Yard · Blackfriars · Blackfriars Bridge railway station · Blackmoore Street (1902) · Bleeding Heart Yard · Bloomsbury Square · Bloomsbury Street · Boswell Street · British Museum · British Museum · Buses outside the National Gallery · Cambridge Circus · Carey Street · Carting Lane · Catherine Street · Catton Street · Cecil Court · Chancery Lane · Chancery Lane · Charing Cross · Charing Cross · Charterhouse Street · City Temple · Clare Market · Clare Market · Clement’s Inn · Coptic Street · Courtauld Institute of Art · Covent Garden · Cowcross Street · Cranbourn Street · Crown Court · Dane Street · Devereux Court · Drury Lane · Dyer’s Buildings · Eagle Street · East Harding Street · Elmhurstreet Villas · Ely Place · Embankment · Embankment · Endell Street · Exeter Street · Falcon Court · Farringdon · Farringdon Road · Farringdon Road · Farringdon Street · Farringdon Street · Field Court · Fisher Street · Fleet Street looking east (c.1920) · Flichcroft Street · Fulwood Place · Garrick Yard · Gate Street · George Court · Goslett Yard · Grays Inn Place · Grays Inn Square Chambers · Grays Inn Square · Great Court · Great Russell Street · Great Turnstile · Greek Court · Greek Street · Hand Court · Hat and Mitre Court · Hatton Garden · High Holborn · High Holborn · High Holborn · Hobhouse Court · Holborn · Holborn Viaduct · Holborn · Holborn · Houghton Square · Houghton Street (1906) · Houghton Street · Howard Street · Hungerford Bridge · Hungerford Stairs · Inner Temple Gardens · Invicta Plaza · Irving Street · Ivybridge Lane · Jockeys Fields · John Adam Street · Kean Street · Kemble Street · Kingsgate Street · Kingsway · Kingsway · Lamb’s Conduit Passage · Leather Lane · Leicester Square · Leicester Square · Lincoln’s Inn Fields · Lincolns Inn Fields · Lincoln’s Inn Fields · Lion Court · Lisle’s Tennis Court · Little Turnstile · London Borough Of Southwark · London Hippodrome · Ludgate Circus (1873) · Lyndhurstreet Grove · Magpie Alley · Manette Street · Maple Leaf Walk · Martlett Court · May’s Court · Melbourne Place · Montreal Place · Museum Street · New Inn Passage (1901) · New Oxford Street · New Oxford Street · New Square Passage · Newport Court · Newton Street · Norfolk Street · North East Wing Bush House · North West Wing Bush House · Northumberland Avenue · Northumberland Avenue · Northumberland House · Old Barge House Alley · Orange Street · Orange Street · Pall Mall East · Peabody Trust Estate · Peabody Trust Estate · Pelican Estate · PO Box 11096 · PO Box 13119 · PO Box 13853 · PO Box 3755 · PO Box 55743 · PO Box 63195 · PO Box 65446 · PO Box 65742 · PO Box 73238 · PO Box 73552 · PO Box 73553 · PO Box 74052 · PO Box 74054 · PO Box 74391 · Portsmouth Street · Portugal Street · Princeton Street · Procter Street · Proctor Street · Quality Court · Raymond Buildings · Red Lion Court · Red Lion Square · Red Lion Street · River Terrace · Riverside Walk · Robert Street · Rolls Buildings · Royal Opera House · Russell Street · Saffron Hill · Saint Andrew Street · Saint Giles High Street · Saint Martin’s Lane · Saint Martin’s Court · Saint Martin’s Place · Samford Street · Sandland Street · Sardinia House · Sardinia Street · Sardinia Street · Savoy Hill · Savoy Way · Serle Street · Shaftesbury Avenue · Sheffield Street · Shelton Street · Shipley's Drawing School · Showing every photo/image so far featured · Sicilian Avenue · Smithfield · Sounding Alley · South Square · South Square · Southampton Row · Spring Gardens · St Andrew · St Brides Avenue · St Clement’s Passage · St Clements Lane · St Etheldreda’s Church · St Giles · St Giles House · St. James’s Drive · St. Thomas’s Square · Stamford · Staple Inn · Staple Inn Buildings · Stedham Place · Strand (1890s) · Strand Lane · Strand Underpass · Strand · Strand · Strand · Tallis Street · Tavistock Street · Temple · Temple Bar · Thavie’s Inn · The Adelphi · The Arcade · The Crown · The Crown · The Edmund J. Safra Fountain Court · The Gallery · The Strand · Thomas Neal’s shopping centre · Trafalgar Square · Tweezer’s Alley · Upper Saint Martin’s Lane · Upper St Martin’s Lane · Verulam Buildings · Victoria Embankment Gardens · Victoria Embankment · Victoria House · Villiers Street · Warwick Court · Water Street · Watergate Walk · Waterloo Bridge · Waterloo Bridge · Waterloo Bridge · West Central Street · Whetstone Park · Wild Court · Wild Street (1902) · William IV Street · Willoughby Street · Wych Street · Wyld’s Great Globe · York Place · Yorkshire Grey Yard
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Holborn · WC2B · Contributed by The Underground Map
APRIL
27
2018

The name Aldwych derives from the Old English eald and wic meaning 'old trading town' or 'old marketplace'; the name was later applied to the street and district.

In the seventh century, an Anglo-Saxon village and trading centre named Lundenwic ('London trading town') was established here approximately one mile to the west of Londinium. Lundenwic probably used the mouth of the River Fleet as a harbour or anchorage for trading ships and fishing boats. It was recorded as Aldewich in 1211 but then the name Aldwych largely disappeared from history for some 800 years.

The Aldwych and Kingsway scheme was the London County Council's first large urban improvement scheme in central London. It was opened in 1905 and signalled the council's vision of London as a modern city of tree-lined boulevards, office blocks and free-flowing traffic.

There had long been calls for a new route for traffic between Holborn and Fleet Street, but it was not until the London County Council came into existence that the scheme took shape. A new road was proposed between Holborn and Fleet Street. The slum properties and crowded alleys at the east end of the Strand would first have to be cleared, which was seen as a further advantage of the scheme.

Although modern in spirit, the scheme respected London's past. The new crescent at the south end was designed around the historic church of St Clement Danes. The Saxon-sounding name given to the new crescent, Aldwych, was chosen as a reminder of London's long history of continuous settlement.

The scheme's large boulevard, running north to Holborn, was named Kingsway in honour of Edward VII. A hundred feet wide, it was London's widest street and thoroughly modern in spirit, not least because a tunnel for electric trams ran beneath it. The building plots on either side of the new boulevard were leased to speculative builders, the intention being that this would become London's new commercial district.

Lundenwic - the original Aldwych - was 'rediscovered' in the 1980s after the results of extensive excavations were reinterpreted as being urban in character. Recent excavations in the Covent Garden area have uncovered an extensive Anglo-Saxon settlement, covering about 600,000-square-metre stretching from the present-day National Gallery site in the west to Aldwych in the east.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

Citations, sources, links and further reading

Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
A wander through London, street by street
All-encompassing website
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Holborn

Holborn is both an area and also the name of the area's principal street, known as High Holborn between St. Giles's High Street and Gray's Inn Road and then Holborn Viaduct between Holborn Circus and Newgate Street.

The area's first mention is in a charter of Westminster Abbey, by King Edgar, dated to 959. This mentions 'the old wooden church of St Andrew' (St Andrew, Holborn). The name Holborn may be derived from the Middle English hol for hollow, and bourne, a brook, referring to the River Fleet as it ran through a steep valley to the east.

It was at first outside the City's jurisdiction and a part of Ossulstone Hundred in Middlesex. The original Bars were the boundary of the City of London from 1223, when the City's jurisdiction was extended beyond the Walls, at Newgate, into the suburb here, as far as the point where the Bars where erected, until 1994 when the border moved to the junction of Chancery Lane. In 1394 the Ward of Farringdon Without was created, but only the south side of Holborn was under its jurisdiction with some minor properties, such as parts of Furnival's Inn, on the northern side.

The Holborn District was created in 1855, consisting of the civil parishes and extra-parochial places of Glasshouse Yard, Saffron Hill, Hatton Garden, Ely Rents and Ely Place, St Andrew Holborn Above the Bars with St George the Martyr and St Sepulchre. The Metropolitan Borough of Holborn was created in 1900, consisting of the former area of the Holborn District and the St Giles District, excluding Glasshouse Yard and St Sepulchre, which went to the Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury. The Metropolitan Borough of Holborn was abolished in 1965 and its area now forms part of the London Borough of Camden.

In the 18th century, Holborn was the location of the infamous Mother Clap's molly house but in the modern era High Holborn has become a centre for entertainment venues to suit more general tastes: 22 inns or taverns were recorded in the 1860s and the Holborn Empire, originally Weston's Music Hall, stood between 1857 and 1960, when it was pulled down after structural damage sustained in the Blitz. The theatre premièred the first full-length feature film in 1914, The World, the Flesh and the Devil, a 50-minute melodrama filmed in Kinemacolour.

Charles Dickens took up residence in Furnival's Inn, on the site of the former Prudential building designed by Alfred Waterhouse now named Holborn Bars. Dickens put his character Pip, in Great Expectations, in residence at Barnard's Inn opposite, now occupied by Gresham College. Staple Inn, notable as the promotional image for Old Holborn tobacco, is nearby. The three of these were Inns of Chancery. The most northerly of the Inns of Court, Gray's Inn, is in Holborn, as is Lincoln's Inn: the area has been associated with the legal professions since mediaeval times, and the name of the local militia (now Territorial Army unit, the Inns of Court & City Yeomanry) still reflects that. Subsequently the area diversified and become recognisable as the modern street.

A plaque stands at number 120 commemorating Thomas Earnshaw's invention of the Marine chronometer, which facilitated long-distance travel. At the corner of Hatton Garden was the old family department store of Gamages. Until 1992, the London Weather Centre was located in the street. The Prudential insurance company relocated in 2002. The Daily Mirror offices used to be directly opposite it, but the site is now occupied by Sainsbury's head office.

Hatton Garden, the centre of the diamond trade, was leased to a favourite of Queen Elizabeth I, Sir Christopher Hatton at the insistence of the Queen to provide him with an income. Behind the Prudential Building lies the Anglo-Catholic church of St Alban the Martyr.

In the early 21st century, Holborn has become the site of new offices and hotels: for example, the old neoclassical Pearl Assurance building near the junction with Kingsway was converted into an hotel in 1999.

Holborn station is located at the junction of High Holborn and Kingsway. Situated on the Piccadilly and Central Lines, it is the only station common to the two lines, although the two lines also cross each other three times in West London.

The station was opened by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR, now the Piccadilly Line) on 15 December 1906 with the name Holborn (Kingsway). Kingsway was a new road, cutting south from High Holborn through an area of cleared slums to Strand. The suffix was dropped from tube maps in the 1960s.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, north east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.