The name "West Hampstead" was a 19th century invention - the original name was West End.
Wesr Hampstead overground station was known as West End Lane
until its name was changed in 1975.
West Hampstead railway station originally opened in 1888 with rail services were operated by the North London Railway
until British Rail (BR) took control of operations after the Second World War. The station later became part of BR's Network SouthEast region.
Following the privatisation of British Rail, the station was operated by the Silverlink train franchise from 1997 until 2007, when operations passed to Transport for London's London Overground system.
s used to run a regional rail service that called here, between Norwich and Basingstoke. This service known as London Crosslink, was discontinued in Autumn 2002 due to congestion on the North London Line and the financial return being less than that forecast.
The station received a major refurbishment towards the end of 2007, to coincide with the London Overground takeover. The ticket office has a new layout including automatic ticket gates and machines and the station is now staffed throughout traffic hours.
The arrangement of three separate stations (Thameslink, Overground and Jubilee Line) means that passengers wishing to change lines must walk along or cross West End Lane
, a busy main road. A West Hampstead interchange proposal was put forward in 2004 by Chiltern Railway
s which would link the three West Hampstead stations with subterranean walkways. New platforms would be built for the Chiltern Main Line, and possibly also for the Metropolitan line, and the Thameslink and London Overground (formerly Silverlink) stations would be relocated on the east side of West End Lane
. The redevelopment would involve demolishing existing buildings and the redevelopment of West End Lane
as "a tree-lined boulevard".
The plans were put on hold in 2007 due to uncertainty over the North London Line rail franchise. This has now been shelved with Network Rail instead redeveloping the Thameslink station by installing a second footbridge with lift access leading to a new station building on Iverson Road
In early 2008, the London Group of the Campaign for Better Transport published a plan for an off-road, mainly orbital North and West London Light railway, sharing the orbital Dudding Hill Line freight corridor, and taking over at least one of the two Midland Railway
freight lines which run through the neighbouring West Hampstead Thameslink station.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
West Hampstead Overgound
User unknown/public domain
Lacking its own supply of spring water and situated away from the main roads, medieval West End barely qualified as a hamlet until a few country houses were built here from the 17th century onwards. The tendency for West End Lane
to become impassably muddy after heavy rain further enhanced the hamlet's isolation.
By 1815 West End was still exceptionally quiet – so much so that its inhabitants claimed to have heard the cannon fire at Waterloo. The construction of the Finchley Road
in the 1830s brought few additions to a population that consisted of a handful of squires and some farm labourers, gardeners and craftsmen. By 1851 West End had one inn and two beershops.
Railways were the prime stimulus of growth in many country corners of modern London but few places were transformed as wholly as West End. With the arrival of the Hampstead Junction Railway in 1857, the Midland Railway in 1868 and the Metropolitan and St John’s Wood Railway in 1879, the new suburb of West Hampstead spread in all directions.
Rapid development in the 1880s and 1890s swept away the large houses and the streets were laid out in today's pattern. A local estate agent in Kilburn claimed that he coined the name ‘West Hampstead’, for one of the local railway stations. Public amenities such as street lighting, gas and electricity were provided and much of the frontage to West End Lane
was developed as shops.
Some of the new estates were the work of big developers like the United Land Company, whose inclination was to build fairly densely, and during the latter decades of the 19th century parts of West Hampstead became increasingly working-class in character, with policeman, travelling salesmen and railwaymen mixing with clerks and artisans. Engineering workshops operated near the railway lines.
Twentieth-century building was limited mainly to interwar blocks of flats in the north of the district, often in place of Victorian houses that had already become run-down.
The West Hampstead ward now has relatively few families and a great number of young single people. A large proportion of homes are privately rented and fewer than a quarter of adults are married, compared with more than half for the country as a whole. This socio-economic profile is evident in the upmarket cafés that have lined West End Lane
in recent years.
Famous West Hampstead residents have included the singers Dusty Springfield, Joan Armatrading, Olivia Newton John and Jimmy Somerville, author Doris Lessing, actresses Imelda Staunton and Emma Thompson, and the playwright Joe Orton, who lived on West End Lane
with his lover Kenneth Halliwell from 1951 to 1959. Stephen Fry has also lived here.