Warren Street was named after Anne Warren (1737–1807), the wife of Charles FitzRoy, landowner.
Charles FitzRoy was 1st Baron Southampton and was the local land owner, responsible for the development of the area. His grandfather had built the New Road (Euston Road
Late in the eighteenth century, the Euston Road
had started to urbanise and a parallel track to its south had been established which provide access to the rear of the new houses.
During 1791, FitzRoy went to work building Warren Street, along the line of the rough track. A variety of builders were employed in the development leading to different styles, though generally the houses are three-storey terraces.
Warren Street was named after his wife, Anne Warren. Her father had founded New York’s Greenwich Village and there are other Warren Streets in North America as a result.
Warren Street became popular place at first with artists and engravers. After the First World War, the motor trade made Warren Street (and Great Portland Street
) their home for the next forty years.
Warren Street now has a very mixed regime of commercial properties.