Between Thorplands on the east and Shoot Up Hill on the west lay several fields called Earlsfields.
Pastureage sold in 'Erlesfeld' was listed among the issues of the Hampstead manor in 1322. It is unlikely that Earlsfield was part of the original manorial demesne because of its position. It may have originated in assarted land that was later leased or granted out or it may have been tenant land which had escheated to the lord.
In 1632 John Kemp leased a cottage at Shoot Up Hill and two crofts called Earlsfield (6 acres). They, together with two cottages and a small close at Kilburn, passed on John's death in 1643 to his brother Francis Kemp of Willesden,
By the turn of the nineteenth century, the Greenhill family held Earlsfield. The estate was identifiable as two fields south of Mill Lane, forming a long strip of 7 acres, copyhold and heriotable. It passed to Samuel Hoare and his son Joseph, who sold it to the Midland Railway Company in 1867.
The other two long fields to the east were freehold, comprising a house and 14 acres in 1705. By the time that the 1800 map was published, the house had gone. The freehold fields passed through a number of hands in the eighteenth century until finally held by Richard Houlditch and by his executors in 1864.
With the building of the Midland Railway, the tracks ran across the middle of Earlsfield. It was split into two. Fronting Mill Lane, there was just a triangle of land left which was sold to the Land Building Investment and Cottage Improvement Co.
Terraced houses in varied styles presumably indicating the builders, E. Garrett and William Brown, both of Ravenshaw Street, J. C. Wallas of Belsize Road, and Rathbone of Croydon, were crammed into Ravenshaw and Glastonbury Streets and Broomsleigh and Dornfell Roads between 1883 and 1887. Another 10 were built in Broomsleigh Road in 1890 and two in Ravenshaw Street in 1894.
The southern triangle become West End railway sidings originally and them the West End Sidings housing estate.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
|VIEW THE WEST HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WEST HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WEST HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WEST HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WEST HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
| ||Read blog|
We have featured this location on a blog entry.
Please note that our blog will open in a new window.
| ||Upload an image|
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
| ||Add new information to this location|
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
The name "West Hampstead" was a 19th century invention - the original name was West End.
Lacking its own supply of spring water and situated away from the main roads, medieval West End barely qualified as a hamlet until a few country houses were built here from the 17th century onwards. The tendency for West End Lane to become impassably muddy after heavy rain further enhanced the hamlet's isolation.
By 1815 West End was still exceptionally quiet – so much so that its inhabitants claimed to have heard the cannon fire at Waterloo. The construction of the Finchley Road in the 1830s brought few additions to a population that consisted of a handful of squires and some farm labourers, gardeners and craftsmen. By 1851 West End had one inn and two beershops.
Railways were the prime stimulus of growth in many country corners of modern London but few places were transformed as wholly as West End. With the arrival of the Hampstead Junction Railway in 1857, the Midland Railway in 1868 and the Metropolitan and St John’s Wood Railway in 1879, the new suburb of West Hampstead spread in all directions.
Rapid development in the 1880s and 1890s swept away the large houses and the streets were laid out in today's pattern. A local estate agent in Kilburn claimed that he coined the name ‘West Hampstead’, for one of the local railway stations. Public amenities such as street lighting, gas and electricity were provided and much of the frontage to West End Lane was developed as shops.
Some of the new estates were the work of big developers like the United Land Company, whose inclination was to build fairly densely, and during the latter decades of the 19th century parts of West Hampstead became increasingly working-class in character, with policeman, travelling salesmen and railwaymen mixing with clerks and artisans. Engineering workshops operated near the railway lines.
Twentieth-century building was limited mainly to interwar blocks of flats in the north of the district, often in place of Victorian houses that had already become run-down.
The West Hampstead ward now has relatively few families and a great number of young single people. A large proportion of homes are privately rented and fewer than a quarter of adults are married, compared with more than half for the country as a whole. This socio-economic profile is evident in the upmarket cafés that have lined West End Lane in recent years.
Famous West Hampstead residents have included the singers Dusty Springfield, Joan Armatrading, Olivia Newton John and Jimmy Somerville, author Doris Lessing, actresses Imelda Staunton and Emma Thompson, and the playwright Joe Orton, who lived on West End Lane with his lover Kenneth Halliwell from 1951 to 1959. Stephen Fry has also lived here.
|LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
: What is now the Alice House has been through a number of incarnations since it was built in the early 1900s.Beckford's Estate
: Beckfords, belonging to the family of the same name, consisted of 15 acres north of Mill Lane and west of Fortune Green Lane.Billy Fury Way, NW6
: Billy Fury Way is a path which runs alongside the railway in NW6.Broadhurst Gardens Meadow
: Broadhurst Gardens Community Meadow is a private area open only to the residents of the houses which surround it.Brondesbury
: Brondesbury was originally "Brand’s manor", a small hamlet in Middlesex.Canterbury House
: In the last half of the nineteenth century, a white house called Canterbury was built on the then southern fringes of West End.Cedars
: A local West Hampstead builder, Thomas Potter, constructed Cedars in 1878.Compayne Open Space
: As West Hampstead was developed, a series of private gardens were built behind the urban facades.Decca Studios
: Decca Studios was a recording facility in Broadhurst Gardens.Fortune Green
: Fortune Green lies to the north of the ancient village of West End.Hampstead Cricket Club
: Hampstead Cricket Club moved to its Lymington Road site in 1877.Hillfield
: By 1644 Hillfield was already mentioned in parish records.Jacksfield
: Jacksfield was one of the smaller but well-documented copyhold estates in the West Hampstead area.Kilburn
: Kilburn is an area which straddles both sides of the Edgware Road (Kilburn High Road).Kingsgate Community Centre
: Kingsgate Community Association was set up in 1982 by a group of local people who wished to establish a community centre in what was then a derelict building.Lauriston Lodge
: Lauriston Lodge, now the site of Dene Mansions, was a large house in West Hampstead.Maygrove Peace Park
: On 27 April 1983, Camden Council opened Maygrove Peace Park and dedicated it as a reminder of the Council's commitment to peace.Oaklands Hall
: On the west side of West End Lane, Charles Spain bought 5 acres and between 1829 and 1838 built York Villa.Poplar House
: Poplar House was occupied by one of the first developers of West Hampstead, Thomas Potter.Potter's Iron Foundry
: In the nineteenth century, many West Hampstead people had jobs in Potter’s Iron Foundry.Ripley House
: Jeremy Jepson Ripley built a house and coach house after 1814, with a large garden north of Lauriston Lodge.Sandwell House
: Sandwell House was owned by three generations of the Wachter family.The Black Lion
: The Old Black Lion was established in 1751 as a beer house. The Railway
: The Railway pub is a standard Victorian pub with a musical secret.The Wet Fish Cafe
: The Wet Fish Café is an Art Deco classic at 242 West End Lane.Thorplands
: Thorplands was an estate south of Mill Lane.Treherne House
: Treherne House was built in the mid eighteenth century,West Cottages, NW6
: Cottages in London NW6.West End Green
: West End Green is situated on a corner of West End Lane, formerly the location of West End Fair.West End Hall
: West End Hall (once called New West End Hall) was one of the mansions of West End (West Hampstead).West End House
: West End House, once in open countryside, became surrounded by railways.West End Park
: West End Park was created from fields known as the 'Little Estate'.West End Sidings Estate
: The West End Sidings Estate takes its name from the former West End railway sidings running along the Midland Railway.West Hampstead
: The name "West Hampstead" was a 19th century invention - the original name was West End.West Hampstead (Overground) station
: Wesr Hampstead overground station was known as West End Lane until its name was changed in 1975. West Hampstead Synagogue
: The West Hampstead Synagogue was consecrated in September 1892.Mill Lane, looking east (1900s)
: Mill Lane is one of the major thoroughfares of West Hampstead.
Achilles Road, NW6
|NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
· Agamemnon Road, NW6
· Ajax Road, NW6
· Alvanley Gardens, NW6
· Ariel Road, NW6
· Asmara Road, NW2
· Banister Mews, NW6
· Barlow Road, NW6
· Bembridge Close, NW6
· Berridge Mews, NW6
· Beswick Mews, NW6
· Blackburn Road, NW6
· Brassey Road, NW6
· Broadhurst Close, NW6
· Broadhurst Gardens, NW6
· Broadwell Parade, NW6
· Broomsleigh Street, NW6
· Canfield Gardens, NW6
· Carlton Mews, NW6
· Cavendish Close, NW6
· Cavendish Road, NW6
· Cleve Road, NW6
· Coleridge Gardens, NW6
· Compayne Gardens, NW6
· Cotleigh Road, NW6
· Crediton Hill, NW6
· Crown Close, NW6
· Dennington Park Road, NW6
· Dornfell Street, NW6
· Doulton Mews, NW6
· Dresden Close, NW6
· Dyne Road, NW6
· Dynham Road, NW6
· Exeter Parade, NW2
· Exeter Road, NW6
· Fawley Road, NW6
· Garlinge Road, NW2
· Gascony Avenue, NW6
· Gladstone Mews, NW6
· Gladys Road, NW6
· Glastonbury Street, NW6
· Glenbrook Road, NW6
· Goldhurst Terrace, NW6
· Gondar Gardens, NW6
· Hall Oak Walk, NW6
· Harvard Court, NW6
· Hemstal Road, NW6
· Highfield Mews, NW6
· Hillfield Road, NW6
· Hilltop Road, NW6
· Holmdale Road, NW6
· Honeybourne Road, NW6
· Inglewood Road, NW6
· Iverson Road, NW6
· Kingdon Road, NW6
· Kings Gardens, NW6
· Kingscroft Road, NW2
· Kylemore Road, NW6
· Landau House, NW2
· Liddell Road, NW6
· Linburn House, NW6
· Linstead Street, NW6
· Loveridge Mews, NW6
· Loveridge Road, NW6
· Lowfield Road, NW6
· Lymington Road, NW6
· Maygrove Road, NW6
· Medley Road, NW6
· Menelik Road, NW2
· Messina Avenue, NW6
· Mill Lane, NW2
· Mill Lane, NW6
· Milverton Road, NW6
· Minster Road, NW2
· Minton Mews, NW6
· Mowbray Road, NW6
· Narcissus Road, NW6
· Netherwood Street, NW6
· Norman Terrace, NW6
· Pandora Road, NW6
· Ravenshaw Street, NW6
· Rose Joan Mews, NW6
· Rowntree Close, NW6
· Salmon Mews, NW6
· Sandwell Crescent, NW6
· Sarre Road, NW2
· Sherriff Road, NW6
· Smyrna Road, NW6
· Solent Road, NW6
· Somali Road, NW2
· Spode Walk, NW6
· St Cuthbert?s Road, NW2
· Sumatra Road, NW6
· The Arches, NW6
· The Mansions, NW6
· Ulysses Road, NW6
· Webheath, NW6
· West End Lane, NW6
· West Hampstead Mews, NW6
· Westbere Road, NW2
|USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES|
- If you wish to link to this article in another article, copy the text in blue: [[3241|Earlsfields]] - you can change the italic text to suit your text
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *L1145L* for a left-aligned image
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *R1145R* for a right-aligned image