It was a 'heritable copyhold' consisting of just eight acres and was first mentioned in 1387 as held by a Nicholas Fletcher.
Copyhold refers to the tenure of lands being parcel of a manor, 'at the will of the lord according to the custom of the manor', by copy of the manorial court roll.
Unlike freeholders, a copyholder could not just transfer their land to his heirs or a third party. If the copyholder died, their death would be entered in the manor court rolls. The heir(s) had to present to the manor court to seek admission as the new tenant and pay a sum of money known as a fine or relief. The admission was also noted in the court rolls.
Similarly if a copyhold tenant wished to transfer land to a third party, the surrender took place in court and was recorded with the admission of the new tenant. The new tenant was given a copy of the court roll entry to prove his title to the land - hence 'copyhold'.
Copyholders succeeding Fletcher were by William Hunt (died 1439), Edward Westby and by John Gilling (died 1475). Gilling was parish clerk of St. Sepulchre and left Jacksfield to his kinsman Thomas Gilling for life, then to be sold for charity.
It was held in 1646 by Martin Dawson, who owned three houses. In his will of 1662, Dawson left his copyhold property to his wife Susan, but he had incurred debts as a royalist and she apparently lost the property between 1664 and 1668 when it was held by Sir Geoffrey Palmer, Bt., Attorney-General.
Palmer left it to his daughter Frances, wife of John De La Fontayne, who conveyed it in 1686 to Anthony Keck. Anthony was succeeded in 1696 by Francis Keck, whose estate in 1704 consisted of an 8 acres close (Jacksfield), a house and 1¼ acres of orchard (Frognal Hall) and 4 acres of demesne land adjoining the churchyard, which he leased.
Francis was succeeded in 1730 by his seven sisters or their heirs, who in 1735 conveyed all the estate to Joseph Stanwix or Stanwick, on whose death in 1747 it passed by will to his widow Mary, with remainder to his daughters Mary, wife of James Battin, and Jane, wife of Robert Slaughter. Mary conveyed her share to Jane, who in 1765 conveyed Jacksfield to John Taylor, butcher, who in turn conveyed it in 1769 to Christopher Fowler. Thence it passed in 1771 to Thomas Boone and in 1775 to Thomas Wildman. Wildman left it in trust for Maria Beckford. It passed in 1800 to Richard Howard, earl of Effingham, as devisee of Maria Beckford and, on his death in 1818, by will to Samuel March Phillips, who was the owner in 1841. In 1858 it passed to one Walters, who enfranchised it.
The house associated with Jacksfield by 1646 was probably Frognal Hall. It was presumably one of two houses owned by Susan Dawson in 1664: she occupied one with 11 hearths and another with 10 hearths was empty. In 1668 Pepys visited Sir Geoffrey Palmer 'in the fields by his old route and house'. In 1761 Frognal Hall was detached from the Jacksfield estate, and during the 18th century became part of the West End House estate. Canterbury House was built on Jacksfield in the 1860s.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
|VIEW THE WEST HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WEST HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WEST HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WEST HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WEST HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
| ||Read blog|
We have featured this location on a blog entry.
Please note that our blog will open in a new window.
| ||Upload an image|
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
| ||Add new information to this location|
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
The name "West Hampstead" was a 19th century invention - the original name was West End.
Lacking its own supply of spring water and situated away from the main roads, medieval West End barely qualified as a hamlet until a few country houses were built here from the 17th century onwards. The tendency for West End Lane to become impassably muddy after heavy rain further enhanced the hamlet's isolation.
By 1815 West End was still exceptionally quiet – so much so that its inhabitants claimed to have heard the cannon fire at Waterloo. The construction of the Finchley Road in the 1830s brought few additions to a population that consisted of a handful of squires and some farm labourers, gardeners and craftsmen. By 1851 West End had one inn and two beershops.
Railways were the prime stimulus of growth in many country corners of modern London but few places were transformed as wholly as West End. With the arrival of the Hampstead Junction Railway in 1857, the Midland Railway in 1868 and the Metropolitan and St John’s Wood Railway in 1879, the new suburb of West Hampstead spread in all directions.
Rapid development in the 1880s and 1890s swept away the large houses and the streets were laid out in today's pattern. A local estate agent in Kilburn claimed that he coined the name ‘West Hampstead’, for one of the local railway stations. Public amenities such as street lighting, gas and electricity were provided and much of the frontage to West End Lane was developed as shops.
Some of the new estates were the work of big developers like the United Land Company, whose inclination was to build fairly densely, and during the latter decades of the 19th century parts of West Hampstead became increasingly working-class in character, with policeman, travelling salesmen and railwaymen mixing with clerks and artisans. Engineering workshops operated near the railway lines.
Twentieth-century building was limited mainly to interwar blocks of flats in the north of the district, often in place of Victorian houses that had already become run-down.
The West Hampstead ward now has relatively few families and a great number of young single people. A large proportion of homes are privately rented and fewer than a quarter of adults are married, compared with more than half for the country as a whole. This socio-economic profile is evident in the upmarket cafés that have lined West End Lane in recent years.
Famous West Hampstead residents have included the singers Dusty Springfield, Joan Armatrading, Olivia Newton John and Jimmy Somerville, author Doris Lessing, actresses Imelda Staunton and Emma Thompson, and the playwright Joe Orton, who lived on West End Lane with his lover Kenneth Halliwell from 1951 to 1959. Stephen Fry has also lived here.
|LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
: What is now the Alice House has been through a number of incarnations since it was built in the early 1900s.Billy Fury Way, NW6
: Billy Fury Way is a path which runs alongside the railway in NW6.Broadhurst Gardens Meadow
: Broadhurst Gardens Community Meadow is a private area open only to the residents of the houses which surround it.Canterbury House
: In the last half of the nineteenth century, a white house called Canterbury was built on the then southern fringes of West End.Cedars
: A local West Hampstead builder, Thomas Potter, constructed Cedars in 1878.Cholmley Lodge
: Cholmley Lodge, a two storeyed stuccoed house, was built in 1813.Cock and Hoop
: The Cock and Hoop Inn was standing on the corner of West End Lane and Fortune Green Road by 1723.Compayne Open Space
: As West Hampstead was developed, a series of private gardens were built behind the urban facades.Decca Studios
: Decca Studios was a recording facility in Broadhurst Gardens.Earlsfields
: Between Thorplands on the east and Shoot Up Hill on the west lay several fields called Earlsfields.Flitcroft Estate
: Flitcroft was a 50 acre estate at Fortune Green and West End, named after its owner in the 18th century. Hampstead Cricket Club
: Hampstead Cricket Club moved to its Lymington Road site in 1877.Hillfield
: By 1644 Hillfield was already mentioned in parish records.Kingsgate Community Centre
: Kingsgate Community Association was set up in 1982 by a group of local people who wished to establish a community centre in what was then a derelict building.Lauriston Lodge
: Lauriston Lodge, now the site of Dene Mansions, was a large house in West Hampstead.Maygrove Peace Park
: On 27 April 1983, Camden Council opened Maygrove Peace Park and dedicated it as a reminder of the Council's commitment to peace.National School
: A National School was established in West End during 1844.Oaklands Hall
: On the west side of West End Lane, Charles Spain bought 5 acres and between 1829 and 1838 built York Villa.Poplar House
: Poplar House was occupied by one of the first developers of West Hampstead, Thomas Potter.Potter's Iron Foundry
: In the nineteenth century, many West Hampstead people had jobs in Potter’s Iron Foundry.Ripley House
: Jeremy Jepson Ripley built a house and coach house after 1814, with a large garden north of Lauriston Lodge.Sandwell House
: Sandwell House was owned by three generations of the Wachter family.The Black Lion
: The Old Black Lion was established in 1751 as a beer house. The Railway
: The Railway pub is a standard Victorian pub with a musical secret.The Wet Fish Cafe
: The Wet Fish Café is an Art Deco classic at 242 West End Lane.Thorplands
: Thorplands was an estate south of Mill Lane.Treherne House
: Treherne House was built in the mid eighteenth century,West Cottages, NW6
: Cottages in London NW6.West End Green
: West End Green is situated on a corner of West End Lane, formerly the location of West End Fair.West End Hall
: West End Hall (once called New West End Hall) was one of the mansions of West End (West Hampstead).West End House
: West End House, once in open countryside, became surrounded by railways.West End Park
: West End Park was created from fields known as the 'Little Estate'.West End Sidings Estate
: The West End Sidings Estate takes its name from the former West End railway sidings running along the Midland Railway.West Hampstead
: The name "West Hampstead" was a 19th century invention - the original name was West End.West Hampstead (Overground) station
: Wesr Hampstead overground station was known as West End Lane until its name was changed in 1975. West Hampstead Synagogue
: The West Hampstead Synagogue was consecrated in September 1892.Woodbine Cottage
: Woodbine Cottage was situated at the south-eastern corner of the Flitcroft estate.Mill Lane, looking east (1900s)
: Mill Lane is one of the major thoroughfares of West Hampstead.
Alvanley Gardens, NW6
|NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
· Ariel Road, NW6
· Banister Mews, NW6
· Barlow Road, NW6
· Bembridge Close, NW6
· Beswick Mews, NW6
· Blackburn Road, NW6
· Brassey Road, NW6
· Broadhurst Close, NW6
· Broadhurst Gardens, NW6
· Broadwell Parade, NW6
· Broomsleigh Street, NW6
· Buckingham Mansions, NW6
· Canfield Gardens, NW6
· Cannon Hill, NW6
· Carlton Mews, NW6
· Cavendish Close, NW6
· Cavendish Road, NW6
· Cholmley Gardens, NW6
· Cleve Road, NW6
· Coleridge Gardens, NW6
· Compayne Gardens, NW6
· Cotleigh Road, NW6
· Crediton Hill, NW6
· Crown Close, NW6
· Dennington Park Road, NW6
· Dornfell Street, NW6
· Doulton Mews, NW6
· Dresden Close, NW6
· Dyne Road, NW6
· Dynham Road, NW6
· Fawley Road, NW6
· Gascony Avenue, NW6
· Gladys Road, NW6
· Glastonbury Street, NW6
· Glenbrook Road, NW6
· Goldhurst Terrace, NW6
· Hall Oak Walk, NW6
· Harvard Court, NW6
· Hemstal Road, NW6
· Highfield Mews, NW6
· Hilltop Road, NW6
· Holmdale Road, NW6
· Honeybourne Road, NW6
· Inglewood House, NW6
· Inglewood Road, NW6
· Iverson Road, NW6
· Kingdon Road, NW6
· Kings Gardens, NW6
· Kylemore Road, NW6
· Liddell Road, NW6
· Lowfield Road, NW6
· Lymington Road, NW6
· Marlborough Mansions, NW6
· Maygrove Road, NW6
· Medley Road, NW6
· Messina Avenue, NW6
· Milverton Road, NW6
· Minton Mews, NW6
· Mowbray Road, NW6
· Narcissus Road, NW6
· Palace Court, NW3
· Pandora Road, NW6
· Ravenshaw Street, NW6
· Rowntree Close, NW6
· Salmon Mews, NW6
· Sandwell Crescent, NW6
· Sherriff Road, NW6
· Smyrna Road, NW6
· Solent Road, NW6
· Spode Walk, NW6
· Sumatra Road, NW6
· Welbeck Mansions, NW6
· West End Lane, NW6
· West Hampstead Mews, NW6
· Worcester Mews, NW6
|USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES|
- If you wish to link to this article in another article, copy the text in blue: [[3242|Jacksfield]] - you can change the italic text to suit your text
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *L1146L* for a left-aligned image
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *R1146R* for a right-aligned image