If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location. Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Added: 23 Jul 2017 07:40 GMT
Expires: 6 Aug 2017 07:40 GMT
Post by LDNnews: Blackfriars Mail Rail: All you need to know about the abandoned underground line opening to the public this summer Londoners will be able to take a trip on the Post Office's underground rail lines for the first time ever when the new exhibition opens this summer.
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus
Victoria Hervey and Jamie O’Hara spark romance rumours
Lady Victoria Hervey, 40, and Jamie O’Hara, 30, have sparked romance rumours after they stepped out hand-in-hand during a night on the tiles in London on Friday.
Post by LDNnews: Charing Cross Police have released these images of two moped riders hunted after the fatal stabbing of Danny Pearce in Greenwich
Police have released images of two moped riders being hunted after the murder of Bromley dad Danny Pearce, who was stabbed to death in a suspected Rolex robbery in Greenwich.
Post by LDNnews: St. Jamess Park Olivier Giroud substituted on during Chelsea friendly depsite not being listed in Arsenal's matchday squad The Beijing friendly between Arsenal and Chelsea was delayed briefly after the interval as Arsene Wenger tried to throw on Olivier Giroud.
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus Mother reveals heartbreaking final moments with five-year-old son beaten to death by stepfather A mother has revealed her heartbreak after her ex-partner was found guilty of beating her five-year-old son to death for losing his shoe.
Post by LDNnews: Temple Islington antique shops devastated in Camden Passage flood given all clear to reopen seven months on Millions of pounds worth of antiques are thought to have been destroyed in the flood
Post by LDNnews: Embankment Passengers left stranded at Gatwick Airport after parking company goes bust A police investigation has been launched after travellers who left their cars with a meet-and-greet parking firm at Gatwick Airport returned to find the company had gone bust.
Post by LDNnews: Charing Cross Virgil van Dijk training alone after asking to leave Southampton Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino has confirmed that captain Virgil van Dijk is training alone after asking to leave.
Post by LDNnews: St. Jamess Park A Lamborghini supercar rented in Switzerland vanished without a trace after being driven hundreds of miles across Europe to London. A Lamborghini supercar rented in Switzerland vanished without a trace after being driven hundreds of miles across Europe to London.
Post by LDNnews: Southwark Burnt Oak fire: Tube station, shops and flats evacuated as 72 firefighters tackle huge workshop blaze Up to 500 people were forced to leave shops and homes as up to 72 firefighters tackled a huge blaze in north London.
Post by LDNnews: Blackfriars Paris Saint-Germain manager Unai Emery has praised Alexis Sanchez and Kylian Mbappe while talking up a possible move for Neymar. Paris Saint-Germain manager Unai Emery has praised Alexis Sanchez and Kylian Mbappe while talking up a possible move for Neymar.
Post by LDNnews: Richmond Sir Vince Cable talks Brexit with students in Hampton New Liberal Democrat leader Sir Vince Cable talked Brexit with a panel of school council students during a visit to Hampton this week.
Post by LDNnews: Boston Manor What did we learn from QPR’s 3-2 defeat against Lokomotive Leipzig?
Despite a poor first half, the Hoops put in a move improved display in the second half, but this still wasn't enough to avoid defeat.
Post by LDNnews: Borough Labour urged to apologise for 'misleading' students over debt promise The Tories have called on the Labour Party to apologise to graduates over an apparent U-turn on its plans to clear student debt.
The name is recorded in 1062 as Lambehitha, meaning ’landing place for lambs’, and in 1255 as Lambeth. The name refers to a harbour where lambs were either shipped from or to. It is formed from the Old English ’lamb’ and ’hythe.
South Lambeth is recorded as Sutlamehethe in 1241 and North Lambeth is recorded in 1319 as North Lamhuth. The marshland in the area, known as Lambeth Marshe, was drained in the 18th century but is remembered in the Lower Marsh street name. Sometime after the opening of Waterloo railway station in 1848 the locality around the station and Lower Marsh became known as Waterloo.
Lambeth Palace is located opposite the Palace of Westminster. The two were linked by a horse ferry across the Thames.
Until the mid-18th Century the north of Lambeth was marshland, crossed by a number of roads raised against floods.
With the opening of Westminster Bridge in 1750, followed by the Blackfriars Bridge and Vauxhall Bridge, a number of major thoroughfares were developed through Lambeth, such as Westminster Bridge Road, Kennington Road and Camberwell New Road.
In William Blake’s epic Milton a Poem, the poet John Milton leaves Heaven and travels to Lambeth, in the form of a falling comet, and enters Blake’s foot. This allows Blake to treat the ordinary world as perceived by the five senses as a sandal formed of "precious stones and gold" that he can now wear. Blake ties the sandal and, guided by Los, walks with it into the City of Art, inspired by the spirit of poetic creativity. The poem was written between 1804 and 1810.
LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Garden Museum: The first museum in the world dedicated to the history of gardening. Lambeth: The íLambí in Lambeth really means just that. Vauxhall Gardens: Vauxhall Gardens was a pleasure garden, one of the leading venues for public entertainment from the mid 17th century to the mid 19th century.
PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Beet Court (1910): Photograph of Beet Court aka Lemon Court, in 1910. Lambeth Bridge (1865): Lambeth Bridge is on the site of a horse ferry between the Palace of Westminster and Lambeth Palace on the south bank. Lambeth High Street (1860): This photograph of the Windmill inn, Lambeth High Street, dates from 1860 Old Red Cow: The Old Red Cow (right of picture) Wake Street: Wake Street (King Street before the 1880s) was featured in photos from the Picture Post edition of 31 December 1938. Waterloo Air Terminal (1953): Officially known as the British European Airways Waterloo Air Terminal, the building was officially opened on the Festival of Britain site on 19 May 1953 by the then Minister of Aviation. York Wharf: York Wharf, photographed in 1866.
NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches.
Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or Ė from the available evidence Ė are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.