If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location. Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Added: 16 Dec 2017 08:20 GMT
Expires: 30 Dec 2017 08:20 GMT
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus Rape-accused MP’s aide ’drank with alleged victim’ Parliamentary aide Samuel Armstrong tells a court he and the woman drank a variety of spirits.
Post by LDNnews: Charing Cross Teddington lab creates the world’s smallest Christmas card and you need a microscope to see it
It’s the little things that make Christmas special, and with this in mind, the National Physical Laboratory in Teddington has created the world’s smallest Christmas card.
Post by LDNnews: Charing Cross New football programme provides ’exciting’ opportunities for girls A new football programme for girls run in partnership with a sixth form college aims to build a bridge between sports coaching and academic courses.
Post by LDNnews: St. Jamess Park Late night ’revolting attack’ on trans person in Deptford leaves police searching for answers Late night ’revolting attack’ on trans person in Deptford leaves police searching for answers
Post by LDNnews: Southwark Arsene Wenger defends Alexis Sanchez after wasteful Arsenal showing at West Ham Arsene Wenger defended Alexis Sanchez after the Arsenal forward once again failed to make an impact as the Gunners stumbled to a 0-0 draw at West Ham.
Post by LDNnews: Blackfriars Manchester City vs Tottenham: Premier League prediction, team news, line-ups and how to watch on TV and online Tottenham are the latest side facing the unenviable task of attempting to inflict a first Premier League defeat of the season on high-flying Manchester City.
Post by LDNnews: Charing Cross Pupils from a school in Wimbledon bring Christmas cheer to residents of a care home Pupils from a school in Wimbledon have raised funds to bring Christmas cheer to residents of two local care homes.
Post by LDNnews: St. Jamess Park Millwall exploring new sites away from Bermondsey amid fears they will be forced out of The Den Millwall are reconsidering leaving Bermondsey because they fear Lewisham council still wants to sell land around The Den to property developers.
The name is recorded in 1062 as Lambehitha, meaning ’landing place for lambs’, and in 1255 as Lambeth. The name refers to a harbour where lambs were either shipped from or to. It is formed from the Old English ’lamb’ and ’hythe.
South Lambeth is recorded as Sutlamehethe in 1241 and North Lambeth is recorded in 1319 as North Lamhuth. The marshland in the area, known as Lambeth Marshe, was drained in the 18th century but is remembered in the Lower Marsh street name. Sometime after the opening of Waterloo railway station in 1848 the locality around the station and Lower Marsh became known as Waterloo.
Lambeth Palace is located opposite the Palace of Westminster. The two were linked by a horse ferry across the Thames.
Until the mid-18th Century the north of Lambeth was marshland, crossed by a number of roads raised against floods.
In William Blake’s epic Milton a Poem, the poet John Milton leaves Heaven and travels to Lambeth, in the form of a falling comet, and enters Blake’s foot. This allows Blake to treat the ordinary world as perceived by the five senses as a sandal formed of "precious stones and gold" that he can now wear. Blake ties the sandal and, guided by Los, walks with it into the City of Art, inspired by the spirit of poetic creativity. The poem was written between 1804 and 1810.
LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Garden Museum: The first museum in the world dedicated to the history of gardening. Lambeth: The íLambí in Lambeth really means just that. Vauxhall Gardens: Vauxhall Gardens was a pleasure garden, one of the leading venues for public entertainment from the mid 17th century to the mid 19th century.
PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Beet Court (1910): Photograph of Beet Court aka Lemon Court, in 1910. Lambeth Bridge (1865): Lambeth Bridge is on the site of a horse ferry between the Palace of Westminster and Lambeth Palace on the south bank. Lambeth High Street (1860): This photograph of the Windmill inn, Lambeth High Street, dates from 1860 Old Red Cow: The Old Red Cow (right of picture) Wake Street: Wake Street (King Street before the 1880s) was featured in photos from the Picture Post edition of 31 December 1938. Waterloo Air Terminal (1953): Officially known as the British European Airways Waterloo Air Terminal, the building was officially opened on the Festival of Britain site on 19 May 1953 by the then Minister of Aviation. York Wharf: York Wharf, photographed in 1866.
NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches.
Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or Ė from the available evidence Ė are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.