Watford Way, NW4

Road in/near Hendon, existing between 1923 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.215.182.36 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Hendon · NW4 ·
July
19
2018

Watford Way runs from Hendon Central circus to Apex Corner.


It was opened in 1923 as part of a great roadbuilding programme in north London in the years after the First World War as use of the motor car increased.

The North Circular Road was built during the same period. To alleviate growing congestion, it was decided to bypass Barnet with its inconvenient hill. Thus the A1 was rerouted in a large swathe between Highgate and South Mimms. The ’Barnet By-Pass’ dissected Hampstead Garden Suburb, through Henley’s Corner, Fiveways Corner to Apex Corner and then north.

At the same time it was decided to create a new trunk route - the A41 from Watford into London. This new route from Watford joined the new A1 at Apex Corner, diverting at Fiveways Corner and running through Brent Cross to the Finchley Road, south of Childs Hill.

The roadbuilders took advantage of the building of the Northern Line extension north of Golders Green and ran the new road through the new Handon Central circus beside a new station. North of this roundabout the road was called Watford Way and south, Hendon Way.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

Hendon

Hendon railway station is a National Rail station situated to the west of Hendon, in the London Borough of Barnet.

The station was built by the Midland Railway in 1868 on its extension to St. Pancras. From 1875 the Midland opened a service to Victoria on the London, Chatham and Dover Railway and received coaches from the London and South Western Railway for attachment to north-bound trains.
Print-friendly version of this page