Garden Museum

Museum in/near Lambeth, existing between 1972 and now

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Museum · Lambeth · SE1 · Contributed by The Underground Map
September
5
2017
201306071921

The first museum in the world dedicated to the history of gardening.

The Garden Museum is based in the deconsecrated parish church of St Mary-at-Lambeth adjacent to Lambeth Palace. The church originally housed the 15th and 16th century tombs of many members of the Howard family, including now-lost memorial brasses to Thomas Howard, 2nd Duke of Norfolk (died 1524), his wife Agnes Tilney, Duchess of Norfolk (died 1545) and is also the burial place of Queen Anne Boleyn's mother Elizabeth Boleyn, formerly Howard.

St Mary's, which was largely a Victorian reconstruction, was deconsecrated in 1972 and was scheduled to be demolished. In 1976 John and Rosemary Nicholson traced the tomb of the two 17th century royal gardeners and plant hunters John Tradescant father and son to the churchyard, and were inspired to create the Museum of Garden History.

The museum's main gallery is the main body of the church. The collection comprises tools, ephemera and a library. The tool collection includes items purchased at auction and donations from individuals and horticultural companies. The ephemera includeds items such as prints, photographs, bills, catalogues and brochures, and gives an insight into the social history of gardening as well as the practical aspects of the subject. The museum covers the whole range of gardening, from royal gardens to allotments. In the early 1980s, a 17th-century style knot garden was created in the churchyard, planted with authentic plants of the period.

The first church on the site was built before the Norman Conquest, and was integral to the religious centre established by the Archbishops of Canterbury in the twelfth century. The church is the oldest structure in the Borough of Lambeth, except for the crypt of Lambeth Palace itself, and its burials and monuments are a record of 950 years of a community.

In 1062 a wooden church was built on the site by Goda, sister of Edward the Confessor; the Domesday Book records 29 tenancies in her manor. Later in the century it was rebuilt as a stone church and appears to have been at its height of splendour and patronage in the twelfth century, when it functioned as the church to the Archbishop’s London lodgings next door.

In 1377 the stone tower was built; it was repaired in 1834 – 35 but is otherwise intact. The body of the church was continually rebuilt and enriched over the centuries but, decisively, in 1851 – 2 the aisles and nave were rebuilt by Philip Charles Hardwick (1822 – 92), an architect prominent in the construction of banks and railway stations but not considered to be in the “first rank” of his generation; it was his father, Sir Philip Hardwick, who designed the Euston Arch. It is described by Museum of London Archaeology Service “as an almost complete rebuilding of the old body of the church”. The most eye-catching survivals are four of eight corbels in the ceiling of the nave.

But for the Palace, St Mary-at-Lambeth has perhaps the richest historical story of any building in the borough.

In 1972 the church was made redundant in consequence of its dilapidation and gloom, and also because of changes in the population settlement of the parish: the area by the riverside had become derelict and under-populated, and the Vicar wanted a church closer to where the congregation lived.

Soon after the Church Commissioners obtained the necessary consents for demolition; the altar, bells, and pews were removed. In 1976 Rosemary Nicholson visited the site to see the tomb of John Tradescant and was shocked to discover the church boarded-up in readiness for its demolition. She established the Tradescant Trust, which was awarded a 99-year lease from the Diocese of Southwark, who continue to own the land. The Trust’s rescue and repair of the structure became one of the great architectural conservation causes of its time, and the church started its journey as a Museum, holding small exhibitions such as The Tradescant Story from 1979.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



Garden Museum news feed:
Add your own contribution to Garden Museum.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to Garden Museum:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
CAPTCHA Image
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:
 

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 22 Nov 2017 20:20 GMT   
Expires: 6 Dec 2017 20:20 GMT   
IP:
2:1:3262
Post by LDNnews: Covent Garden
Can your cats compete with Sundir? Send us your photos!
Do you have a cat which does funny things, or is, quite simply, the cutest cat in the world?

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/15677285.Can_your_cats_compete_with_Sundir__Send_us_your_photos_/?ref=rss
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 22 Nov 2017 20:20 GMT   
Expires: 6 Dec 2017 20:20 GMT   
IP:
2:2:3262
Post by LDNnews: Charing Cross
Trade union angered by cancelled public meeting
Trade union angered by cancelled public meeting

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/15677492.Trade_union_angered_by_cancelled_public_meeting/?ref=rss
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 22 Nov 2017 20:00 GMT   
Expires: 6 Dec 2017 20:00 GMT   
IP:
2:3:3262
Post by LDNnews: St. Jamess Park
Anderlect vs Bayern Munich: Champions League prediction, team news, line-ups and how to watch on TV and online
Bayern Munich head to Anderlecht in the Champions League hoping for a Paris Saint-Germain slip-up in the hunt for top spot in Group B.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/anderlect-vs-bayern-munich-champions-league-prediction-team-news-lineups-and-how-to-watch-on-tv-and-a3698881.html
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 22 Nov 2017 20:00 GMT   
Expires: 6 Dec 2017 20:00 GMT   
IP:
2:4:3262
Post by LDNnews: Blackfriars
Chelsea qualify for Champions League knockout stages with win over Qarabag
Chelsea have booked their place in the knockout stages of the Champions League after beating Qarabag in Baku on Wednesday.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-qualify-for-champions-league-knockout-stages-with-win-over-qarabag-a3699031.html
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 22 Nov 2017 08:20 GMT   
Expires: 6 Dec 2017 08:20 GMT   
IP:
2:5:3262
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus
Charlton Athletic 2-1 Rochdale
Jake Forster-Caskey’s brace helps Charlton come from behind to see off lowly Rochdale at The Valley.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41978260
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 21 Nov 2017 21:00 GMT   
Expires: 5 Dec 2017 21:00 GMT   
IP:
2:6:3262
Post by LDNnews: Blackfriars
UK's Brexit divorce bill 'to double' after crunch Cabinet summit
UK's Brexit divorce bill 'to double' after crunch Cabinet summit

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/cabinet-agrees-to-increase-uk-s-brexit-bill-to-40bn-after-crunch-talks-a3696841.html
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 21 Nov 2017 12:00 GMT   
Expires: 5 Dec 2017 12:00 GMT   
IP:
2:7:3262
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus
WW2 machine guns among weapons handed to police in London
The two-week National Gun Surrender began on 13 November.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42064414
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 20 Nov 2017 18:00 GMT   
Expires: 4 Dec 2017 18:00 GMT   
IP:
2:8:3262
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus
Enid Blyton’s The Magic Faraway Tree to be made into film
The Magic Faraway Tree books are being adapted for the big screen for the first time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42053334
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Nov 2017 09:00 GMT   
Expires: 3 Dec 2017 09:00 GMT   
IP:
2:9:3262
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus
Meet the baby boy born at Waterloo station
Baby Reign arrived early after his mother went into labour on a train.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42030812
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Nov 2017 22:00 GMT   
Expires: 2 Dec 2017 22:00 GMT   
IP:
2:10:3262
Post by LDNnews: St. Jamess Park
Cash-strapped Greenwich woman turned to making her dad’s hot sauce - now she’s making a business from it
A cash-strapped Greenwich woman who turned to selling her dad’s old hot sauce has seen such demand for it that she’s looking to start her own business.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/15668615.Cash_strapped_Greenwich_woman_turned_to_making_her_dad_s_hot_sauce___now_she_s_making_a_business_from_it/?ref=rss
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Nov 2017 21:20 GMT   
Expires: 2 Dec 2017 21:20 GMT   
IP:
2:11:3262
Post by LDNnews: Southwark
Manchester United vs Newcastle team news: Paul Pogba returns as Zlatan Ibrahimovic starts on the bench
Paul Pogba returns to Manchester United's starting line-up for Saturday's Premier League clash against Newcastle United, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic on the bench.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-vs-newcastle-team-news-paul-pogba-returns-zlatan-ibrahimovic-starts-bench-a3694966.html
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Nov 2017 21:20 GMT   
Expires: 2 Dec 2017 21:20 GMT   
IP:
2:12:3262
Post by LDNnews: Blackfriars
Zlatan Ibrahimovic reveals secret to quick Manchester United injury return - 'lions don't recover like humans!'
Zlatan Ibrahimovic delivered a trademark response to questions about his quick return for Manchester United: "lions don't recover like humans".

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/zlatan-ibrahimovic-reveals-secret-quick-manchester-united-injury-return-lions-dont-recover-like-a3695046.html
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Nov 2017 08:20 GMT   
Expires: 2 Dec 2017 08:20 GMT   
IP:
2:13:3262
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus
The degrees that make you rich ...
Huge numbers of young people are making a big decision about university - and their future income.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41693230
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 17 Nov 2017 22:20 GMT   
Expires: 1 Dec 2017 22:20 GMT   
IP:
2:14:3262
Post by LDNnews: Covent Garden
Police hunt two men in connection with burglaries
Police are re-appealing to members of the public to help trace two men who are wanted in connection with burglaries around Hertfordshire.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/15668143.Police_hunt_two_men_in_connection_with_burglaries/?ref=rss
VIEW THE LAMBETH AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE LAMBETH AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE LAMBETH AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE LAMBETH AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE LAMBETH AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Lambeth

The ’Lamb’ in Lambeth really means just that.

The name is recorded in 1062 as Lambehitha, meaning ’landing place for lambs’, and in 1255 as Lambeth. The name refers to a harbour where lambs were either shipped from or to. It is formed from the Old English ’lamb’ and ’hythe.

South Lambeth is recorded as Sutlamehethe in 1241 and North Lambeth is recorded in 1319 as North Lamhuth. The marshland in the area, known as Lambeth Marshe, was drained in the 18th century but is remembered in the Lower Marsh street name. Sometime after the opening of Waterloo railway station in 1848 the locality around the station and Lower Marsh became known as Waterloo.

Lambeth Palace is located opposite the Palace of Westminster. The two were linked by a horse ferry across the Thames.

Until the mid-18th Century the north of Lambeth was marshland, crossed by a number of roads raised against floods.

With the opening of Westminster Bridge in 1750, followed by the Blackfriars Bridge and Vauxhall Bridge, a number of major thoroughfares were developed through Lambeth, such as Westminster Bridge Road, Kennington Road and Camberwell New Road.

In William Blake’s epic Milton a Poem, the poet John Milton leaves Heaven and travels to Lambeth, in the form of a falling comet, and enters Blake’s foot. This allows Blake to treat the ordinary world as perceived by the five senses as a sandal formed of "precious stones and gold" that he can now wear. Blake ties the sandal and, guided by Los, walks with it into the City of Art, inspired by the spirit of poetic creativity. The poem was written between 1804 and 1810.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Lambeth:   The ’Lamb’ in Lambeth really means just that.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Beet Court (1910):   Photograph of Beet Court aka Lemon Court, in 1910.
Gunner's Cottages (1910):   Gunner’s Cottages, off Salamanca Street, Lambeth 1910.
Lambeth Bridge (1865):   Lambeth Bridge is on the site of a horse ferry between the Palace of Westminster and Lambeth Palace on the south bank.
Lambeth High Street (1860):   This photograph of the Windmill inn, Lambeth High Street, dates from 1860
Old Red Cow:   The Old Red Cow (right of picture)
Wake Street:   Wake Street (King Street before the 1880s) was featured in photos from the Picture Post edition of 31 December 1938.
Waterloo Air Terminal (1953):   Officially known as the British European Airways Waterloo Air Terminal, the building was officially opened on the Festival of Britain site on 19 May 1953 by the then Minister of Aviation.
York Wharf:   York Wharf, photographed in 1866.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Albert Embankment, SE1 · Albert Embankment, SE11 · Albert Enbankment, SE1 · Arden House, SE11 · Barbel Street, SE1 · Beaufoy Walk, SE11 · Bedlam Mews, SE11 · Belvedere Road, SE1 · Black Prince Road, SE1 · Black Prince Road, SE11 · Carlisle Lane, SE1 · Centaur Street, SE1 · China Walk, SE11 · Cooper Close, SE1 · Coral Street, SE1 · Cosser Street, SE1 · Distin Street, SE11 · Dodson Street, SE1 · Fellmongers Path, SE1 · Fitzalan Street, SE11 · Gerridge Street, SE1 · Gibson Road, SE11 · Greenham Close, SE1 · Hercules Road, SE1 · Hornbeam Close, SE11 · Hotspur Street, SE11 · Hurley Road, SE11 · Johanna Street, SE1 · Jonathan Street, SE11 · Juxon Street, SE11 · Kennington Lane, SE11 · Kennington Lane, SW8 · Kennington Road, SE1 · Kennington Road, SE11 · Kennington Road, SW95 · King Edward Walk, SE1 · Lambeth Bridge, SE1 · Lambeth Bridge, SW1P · Lambeth High Street, SE1 · Lambeth Palace Road, SE1 · Lambeth Palace Road, SW1 · Lambeth Pier, SE1 · Lambeth Road, SE1 · Lambeth Road, SE11 · Lambeth Walk, SE1 · Lambeth Walk, SE11 · Launcelot Street, SE1 · Leake Street, SE1 · Lilac Place, SE11 · Lollard Street, SE11 · Lower Marsh, SE1 · Marylee Way, SE11 · Millbank, SE1 · Millbank, SW1P · Milverton Street, SE11 · Newnham Terrace, SE1 · Newport Street, SE11 · Norfolk Row, SE1 · Old Paradise Street, SE1 · Old Paradise Street, SE11 · Pear Place, SE1 · Pratt Walk, SE1 · Pratt Walk, SE11 · Randall Road, SE11 · Royal Street, SE1 · Sail Street, SE11 · Salamanca Place, SE1 · Salamanca Street, SE1 · Saunders Street, SE11 · South Street, SE11 · St. Georges Mews, SE1 · Steam Pump Lane, W4 · Tanswell Street, SE1 · The Chandlery, SE1 · The Tunnel, SE1 · Upper Marsh Street, SE1 · Vauxhall Walk, SE11 · Virgil Street, SE1 · Walnut Tree Walk, SE11 · Waterloo Bridge, SE1 · Waterloo Bridge, WC2R · Waterloo Centre, SE1 · Westminster Bridge Road, SE1 · Whitehorse Mews, SE1 · Whitehouse Apartments, SE1 · Whitgift House, SE11 · Whitgift Street, SE1 · Whitgift Street, SE11 · Wincott Parade, SE11 · Windmill Row, SE11 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Westminster
Facebook Page
Embankment
Facebook Page
Vauxhall
Facebook Page
Lambeth North
Facebook Page
Waterloo
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Central London, south east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.