Westbourne Park Road, W11

Road in/near Westbourne Park, existing between the 1860s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
18.215.159.156 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Acklam Hall · Acklam Road Adventure Playground · Acklam Road protests · Acklam Road · Adair Road junction with Southam Street (1932) · Adair Road · Adair Road · Adair Road · Adair Tower · Alba Place · Albert Hotel (1900s) · Aldridge Road Villas · Alfred Road · All Saints Church · All Saints Road · Amberley Mews · Appleford Road · Arundel Gardens · Athlone Gate · Bark Place · Basing Street (SARM) Studios · Basing Street · Bayswater · Beach Blanket Babylon · Bevington Road · Blagrove Road · Blenheim Crescent · Bosworth Road · Bourne Terrace · Bridge House · Brindley Street · Bristol Gardens · Caroline Place · Chepstow Villas · Chichester Road · Chilled Eskimo · Codrington Mews · Colville Gardens · Colville Houses · Colville Square · Colville Terrace · Corner of Rackham Street · Cornwall Crescent · Dartmouth Close · Deanhill Court · Desborough Lodge · Duke of Wellington · Dunworth Mews · East Row · East Westbourne Grove · Elgin Crescent · Elgin Mews · Elsie Lane Court · Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance · Foscote Mews · Golborne Mews · Golborne Road bridge (1960s) · Golborne Road · Golden Mews · Graffiti along Acklam Road (1970s) · Great Western Road · Hampden Street · Hayden’s Place · Hayden’s Place · Hazlewood Tower · Ilchester Gardens · James House Appleford Road · Kensington Hippodrome · Kensington Park Gardens · Kensington Park Hotel · Kensington Park Mews · Kensington Park Road · Kids in Acklam Road · Kilburn Aqueduct · Ladbroke Crescent · Ladbroke Gardens · Ladbroke Grove looking north (1950) · Ladbroke Grove · Ladbroke Grove · Lansdowne Crescent · Lansdowne Cresent · Lavie Mews · Leamington House · Leamington Road Villas · Ledbury Mews West · Lionel Mews · Maida Hill · Mau Mau · Metropolitan · Morgan Road · Munro Mews · Netley Street · North Kensington Library · North Kensington · Notting Dale · Notting Hill · Orme's Green · Orsett Mews · Pembridge Place · Pinehurst Court · Political meeting (1920s) · Porchester Gardens Mews · Porchester Terrace North · Portobello Farm · Portobello Gold · Portobello Green · Portobello House · Portobello Road · Portobello Star · Powis Square · Powis Terrace · Prince’s Square · Queen's Cinema · Queensborough Studios · Rackham Street · Ranelagh Bridge · Red Lion Bridge · River Westbourne · Rosmead Road · Royal Oak · Ruston Mews · Saint Charles Place · Saint Ervans Road · Saint Josephs Close · Saint Luke’s Road · Saint Lukes Mews · Saint Marks Place · Saint Marks Road · Saint Michaels Gardens · Saint Stephen’s Gardens · Silvester Mews · Southam House Adair Road · Sporting Club De Londres · St Charles Square ready for redevelopment (1951) · St John’s Mews · St Lukes Mews · St Marks Close · St Marks Road · St Mark’s Place · St Mary’s Harrow Road · St Peter’s Notting Hill · St Petersburgh Mews · St. Columbs House · St. Joseph's Home · St. Mark’s Road · Stanley Crescent · Stanley Gardens Mews · Stanley Gardens · Talbot Road · Talbot Road · Tavistock Crescent · Tavistock Mews · Tavistock Road · The Castle · The Cock & Bottle · The Eagle · The Elgin · The Prince of Wales Cinema · The Tabernacle · Thorngate Road · Trellick Tower · Under westway (1977) · Verdi Crescent · Vernon Yard · W36 · Walmer Castle · Walmer Road · Waverley Road · Westbourne Farm · Westbourne Green · Westbourne Green · Westbourne Grove · Westbourne House · Westbourne Lodge · Westbourne Manor · Westbourne Park · Westbourne Park Road · Westway · Whiteley's · Woodfield Crescent · Wornington Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Westbourne Park · W11 ·
July
1
2016

Westbourne Park Road is a street in Notting Hill.


This part of the Ladbroke estate was the last to be developed. In 1847, a convent of the Poor Clares was established at the south-western end of what is now Westbourne Park Road, in its own large walled garden. At the time, the site was described by the journal Building News as a ‘dreary waste of mud and stunted trees’, apart from ‘a melancholy half-built church’ (All Saints in Talbot Road) and ‘a lonely public house’ (the Elgin). According to the paper, a number of ‘low Irish’ had settled nearby and there had been ‘a plentiful crop of Romish conversions there’.

For more than a decade, the convent and the pub remained alone. It was a period of financial crisis for developers, and it was not until the early 1860s that any other buildings were erected.

The first houses to be built on the southern side (apart from the convent) were Nos. 305-317 (odds), dating from around 1860, as the 1861 census records three occupied houses next to the Castle pub, and four of the seven are already shown on the 1863 Ordnance Survey map. The map shows no front gardens or front areas, and they were clearly built to have shopfronts on their ground floors. The builder was Paul Felthouse, who also built the Castle pub next door.

In 1863, a further terrace of residential houses was built on this side, between Kensington Park Road and the convent (175-207 odds Cornwall Road and then Nos. 319-351 odds Westbourne Park Road). This terrace and the convent were demolished in the 1970s to make room for the new Council estate on this side.

The northern side consists mainly of one long terrace of half-stucco houses with decorative coursing in the stucco. They all were all built with porches and have either flat or triangular architraves above their first floor windows. They stand three storeys high and have basements and front lightwells, with tiny front gardens.

Where there was a public house, the tendency was to start building next to the pub (which often served as a sort of office for the builders) and the first houses to be built on the northern side were the current Nos. 336-352 (evens), the present No. 354 being part of the pub. They appear on the 1863 Ordnance Survey map but not in the 1861 census, and a deed in Kensington Central Library (No. 26094) indicates that they been built around 1860-61. On completion they were let on 99-year leases for ground rents of 7-8 guineas. Between Nos. 316 and 318 there is an archway through to Elgin Mews.

This first part of the terrace forms a near symmetrical whole. The five houses nearest the pub (Nos. 344-352) and the last four houses (Nos. 316-322) stand slightly forward of the others, as “bookends”. They also have flat topped architraves above their first floor windows (although not all survive), whereas the intervening houses have triangular ones (although again most are missing). The rest of the terrace (Nos. 282-320) was probably built shortly afterwards. This was from the beginning a much less prosperous area than the streets further south. Already by 1871, most of the houses were accommodating two or three households and there were very few live-in servants.

Main source

Society for the Ladbroke Conservation Area

Citations and sources

Blog from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Library
Recollections of people from North Kensington, London
Gillian Bebbington's 1972 work on street name derivations

Links and further reading

Facebook group, covering the history of W10 and W11.
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page

VIEW THE WESTBOURNE PARK AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE WESTBOURNE PARK AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE WESTBOURNE PARK AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE WESTBOURNE PARK AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE WESTBOURNE PARK AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Westbourne Park

Westbourne Park was originally, with Westbourne Green, an area simply known as Westbourne.

Westbourne Green was, with Paddington Green, one of the area's earliest settlements. A growing residential area lay to the west of Westbourne Green.

For a short while known as Westbournia, when this part of London was developed, Westbourne Park became the name given to the area. This is reflected in a number of street names - notably Westbourne Park Road and in the Underground station. The first station operated from 1866 to 1871. In 1871 it was replaced by another station further east.

The good transport encouraged many to move into this area. To the north and east there were extensive railway yards. More recently there is also a Westbourne Park bus garage, built where there once were railway yards, just northeast of the underground station.

The name Westbourne (which means 'west of the river') was by the nineteenth century applied to the river itself (previously called the Bays Water amongst other names).
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Inner West London (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
1930s map covering East Acton, Holland Park, Kensington, Notting Hill, Olympia, Shepherds Bush and Westbourne Park,
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.