Wilton Place, SW1X

Road in/near Knightsbridge, existing between 1825 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
18.232.125.29 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Road · Knightsbridge · SW1X ·
December
21
2018

Wilton Place was built in 1825 to connect Belgravia with Knightsbridge.


Wilton Place stands on the site of a cow yard, and is a broad street with fine houses on the east side. Here is St. Paul’s Church, celebrated for the ritualistic tendencies of its successive vicars. The building by Cundy is handsome, in Early Perpendicular style, and has sittings for 1,800. It was enlarged and altered in 1889 and 1892, when a side-chapel, by Blomfield, was added. Adjoining is the Vicarage, and opposite are St. Paul’s National Schools.

Wilton Place is the location of The Berkeley, a five star hotel. Also St Paul’s Church, Knightsbridge can be found there. The church was built in 1843 by subscription and sited on the drill ground of the former barracks. It cost £11,000 with the site being donated by the Marquis of Westminster.

Both Lillie Langtry and botanist, William Bentham have lived in the street.

The Berkeley stands on the site of what was Esmeralda’s Barn. This was a nightclub given to Reggie Kray by the slum landlord Peter Rachman.


Citation information: Belgravia – The Underground Map
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

Knightsbridge

Knightsbridge was originally a small hamlet, between the villages of Chelsea (Chelsey), Kensington (Kensing town) and Charing. In the time of Edward I, the manor of Knightsbridge appertained to the abbey of Westminster. It was named after a crossing of the River Westbourne, which is now an underground river.

Knightsbridge is notable as an ultra-expensive residential area, and for the density of its upmarket retail outlets. Fourteen of Britain's two hundred most expensive streets are in the district.

Knightsbridge is leafy, especially considering its location at the heart of London. It is home to many of the world's richest people, and has some of the highest property prices in the world. In February 2007, the world's then most expensive apartment at One Hyde Park, sold off plan for £100,000,000, and was bought by a Qatari Prince, and another apartment at the same place in February 2009, of almost the same price was bought by an Afghani Prince.

The principal landowners in the area are the Duke of Westminster and Earl Cadogan. The two areas of aristocratic landholdings can be distinguished: red-brick Queen Anne Revival buildings are mostly to be found on the Cadogan Estates, whereas white stucco-fronted houses are mostly found on the Grosvenor Estate, built by Thomas Cubitt.

Knightsbridge station opened on 15 December 1906 by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR, now the Piccadilly Line). When opened, the platforms were accessed in the standard manner by four lifts and an emergency staircase connecting to parallel passageways and bridges to midway along the platforms. The original station building designed by Leslie Green was located on Brompton Road a short distance west of its junction with Knightsbridge and Sloane Street.
Print-friendly version of this page