Tate Britain (known from 1897 to 1932 as the National Gallery of British Art and from 1932 to 2000 as the Tate Gallery) is an art gallery situated on Millbank in London.
Tate Britain is the national gallery of British art in the period from 1500 until today. There are four 'Tates': Tate Britain and Tate Modern in London, Tate Liverpool, and Tate St Ives in Cornwall, in the south-west of England. The entire Tate Collection is available online.
It is the oldest gallery in the network, opening in 1897. It houses a substantial collection of the works of J. M. W. Turner.
Tate Britain's rooms are arranged in chronological order, often with a theme or a focus on a particular artist. Displays are changed annually. Each room has an introductory text and each work has a short introductory caption.
The broad spectrum of artworks housed at Tate Britain mean you can see old masters and Pre-Raphaelite paintings in the same building as work by modern and contemporary artists, such as Lucian Freud, Francis Bacon and Rachel Whiteread. Highlights include Millais's Ophelia
, Waterhouse's The Lady of Shalott
and Norham Castle
Lightbox on Level 1 is dedicated to showing a changing program of artists' film and video. There is no admission charge.
There is a continuous programme of temporary exhibitions; the largest require tickets, but many are free.
Look out for room 16 as it has a wonderful mosaic floor by Boris Anrep depicting the text of the Proverbs of Hell by William Blake. There are eight floor panels illustrating Blake's proverbs.
On the outside of the building beside the Manton entrance, World War Two shrapnel dents can be seen.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
|VIEW THE PIMLICO AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE PIMLICO AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE PIMLICO AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE PIMLICO AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE PIMLICO AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
| ||Upload an image|
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
| ||Add new information to this location|
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
Pimlico is known for its garden squares and Regency architecture.
In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, the Manor of Ebury was divided up and leased by the Crown to servants or favourites. In 1623, James I sold the freehold of Ebury for £1,151 and 15 shillings. The land was sold on several more times, until it came into the hands of heiress Mary Davies in 1666.
Mary's dowry not only included modern-day Pimlico and Belgravia, but also most of what is now Mayfair and Knightsbridge. Understandably, she was much pursued but in 1677, at the age of twelve, married Sir Thomas Grosvenor. The Grosvenors were a family of Norman descent long seated at Eaton Hall in Cheshire who until this auspicious marriage were but of local consequence in their native county of Cheshire. Through the development and good management of this land the Grosvenors acquired enormous wealth.
At some point in the late seventeenth or early eighteenth century, the area ceased to be known as Ebury or 'The Five Fields' and gained the name by which it is now known. According to tradition, it received its name from Ben Pimlico, famous for his nut-brown ale. His tea-gardens, however, were near Hoxton, and the road to them was termed Pimlico Path, so that what is now called Pimlico was so named from the popularity of the Hoxton resort.
By the nineteenth century, and as a result of an increase in demand for property in the previously unfashionable West End of London following the Great Plague of London and the Great Fire of London, Pimlico had become ripe for development. In 1825, Thomas Cubitt was contracted by Lord Grosvenor to develop Pimlico. The land up to this time had been marshy but was reclaimed using soil excavated during the construction of St Katharine Docks.
Cubitt developed Pimlico as a grid of handsome white stucco terraces. The largest and most opulent houses were built along St George's Drive and Belgrave Road, the two principal streets, and Eccleston, Warwick and St George's Squares. Lupus Street contained similarly grand houses, as well as shops and, until the early twentieth century, a hospital for women and children. Smaller-scale properties, typically of three storeys, line the side streets. An 1877 newspaper article described Pimlico as "genteel, sacred to professional men… not rich enough to luxuriate in Belgravia proper, but rich enough to live in private houses." Its inhabitants were "more lively than in Kensington… and yet a cut above Chelsea, which is only commercial."
Although the area was dominated by the well-to-do middle and upper-middle classes as late as Booth's 1889 Map of London Poverty, parts of Pimlico are said to have declined significantly by the 1890s. When Rev Gerald Olivier moved to the neighbourhood in 1912 with his family, including the young Laurence Olivier, to minister to the parishioners of St Saviour, it was part of a venture to west London 'slums' that had previously taken the family to the depths of Notting Hill.
Through the late nineteenth century, Pimlico saw the construction of several Peabody Estates, charitable housing projects designed to provide affordable, quality homes.
Proximity to the Houses of Parliament made Pimlico a centre of political activity. Prior to 1928, the Labour Party and Trades Union Congress shared offices on Eccleston Square, and it was here in 1926 that the General Strike was organised.
In the mid-1930s Pimlico saw a second wave of development with the construction of Dolphin Square, a self-contained 'city' of 1250 up-market flats built on the site formerly occupied by Cubitt's building works. Completed in 1937, it quickly became popular with MPs and public servants. It was home to fascist Oswald Mosley until his arrest in 1940, and the headquarters of the Free French for much of the Second World War.
Pimlico survived the war with its essential character intact, although parts sustained significant bomb damage. Through the 1950s these areas were the focus of large-scale redevelopment as the Churchill Gardens and Lillington and Longmoore Gardens estates, and many of the larger Victorian houses were converted to hotels and other uses.
To provide affordable and efficient heating to the residents of the new post-war developments, Pimlico became one of the few places in the UK to have a district heating system installed.
In 1953, the Second Duke of Westminster sold the part of the Grosvenor estate on which Pimlico is built.
Pimlico was connected to the underground in 1972 as a late addition to the Victoria Line. Following the designation of a conservation area in 1968 (extended in 1973 and again in 1990), the area has seen extensive regeneration. Successive waves of development have given Pimlico an interesting social mix, combining exclusive restaurants and residences with Westminster City Council run facilities.
Notable residents of Pimlico have included politician Winston Churchill, designer Laura Ashley, philosopher Swami Vivekananda, actor Laurence Olivier, illustrator and author Aubrey Beardsley, Kenyan nationalist Jomo Kenyatta and inventor of lawn tennis Major Walter Wingfield.
|LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
: Pimlico is known for its garden squares and Regency architecture.York Wharf
: York Wharf, photographed in 1866.
Albert Embankment, SE1
|NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
· Albert Enbankment, SE1
· Arneway Street, SW1P
· Aylesford Street, SW1V
· Belgrave Road, SW1V
· Bessborough Place, SW1V
· Bessborough Street, SW1V
· Bloomberg Street, SW1V
· Bloomburg Street, SW1V
· Carey Place, SW1V
· Causton Street, SW1P
· Chapter Chambers, SW1P
· Chapter Street, SW1P
· Charlwood Street, SW1V
· Chichester Street, SW1V
· Churchill Gardens, SW1V
· Churton Street, SW1V
· Clarendon Street, SW1V
· Claverton Street, SW1V
· Dalkeith Court, SW1P
· Dean Bradley House, SW1P
· Dean Trench Street, SW1P
· Dells Mews, SW1V
· Denbigh Mews, SW1V
· Denbigh Place, SW1V
· Denbigh Street, SW1V
· Dolphin Square, SW1V
· Drummond Gate, SW1V
· Duncan House, SW1V
· Egerton House, SW1V
· Erasmus Street, SW1P
· Frobisher House, SW1V
· Garden Terrace, SW1V
· Goding Street, SE11
· Grosvenor Road, SW1V
· Horseferry Road, SW1P
· John Islip Street, SW1P
· Joseph Conrad House, SW1V
· Keyes House, SW1V
· Little Cloisters, SW1P
· Lupus Street, SW1V
· Lutyens House, SW1V
· Marsham Street, SW1P
· Medway Street, SW1P
· Millbank Tower, SW1P
· Millbank, SW1P
· Moreton Street, SW1V
· Neate House, SW1V
· Nelson House, SW1V
· Old Palace Yard, SW1P
· Page Street, SW1P
· Ponsonby Place, SW1P
· Ponsonby Terrace, SW1P
· Rampayne Street, SW1V
· Regency Street, SW1P
· Rivermill, SW1V
· Romney Street, SW1P
· St Georges Drive, SW1V
· St Georges Square, SW1V
· St Saviours Hall, SW1V
· St Vincents Centre, SW1P
· Tachbrook Street, SW1V
· The Arcade, SW1V
· Vauxhall Cross, SW8
· Victoria Chambers, SW1P
· Victoria Island, SW1V
· Vincent Street, SW1P
· Warwick Square, SW1V
· Warwick Way, SW1V
· West Bridge, SW8
· Westmoreland Terrace, SW1V
|USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES|
- If you wish to link to this article in another article, copy the text in blue: [[3322|Tate Britain]] - you can change the italic text to suit your text
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *L1219L* for a left-aligned image
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *R1219R* for a right-aligned image