Golborne Road, heart of North Kensington, was named after Dean Golbourne, at one time vicar of St. John's Church in Paddington.
Until the middle of the nineteenth century it was no more than a country footpath crossing the fields of Portobello Farm
, but in 1870 the road was widened, shops were built and the road was extended over the railway.
It was planted with trees and named Britannia Road
. Later the trees were cut down and the street was called Golbourne
and later Golborne Road
By the beginning of the twentieth century, the area was one of the most overcrowded and poverty-stricken in London.
The thoroughfare was extensively bombed during WWII, after which the Victorian-era slums were cleared to make way for the Trellick and the Swinbrook and Wornington estates, which housed immigrant arrivals from the Caribbean.
Stella McCartney moved into a chapel on Golborne Road next to a curry house in 2002, heralding its arrival as a fashionable destination. Now going the way of upmarket Portobello Road
(which intersects it), gastropubs have swallowed up the local hostalries.
At the north of the road is Meanwhile Gardens, a community park, which sits in the shadow of Ernö Goldfinger's 98 metre Grade II listed Trellick Tower
. The road starts with launderettes and 1960s architecture but, as you cross south over the bridge, it becomes a Victorian-era street.
Golborne Road market operates six days a week with opening times are the same as Portobello Road
. During the week the market offers mainly fruit, vegetables, takeaway food, and household goods. On Friday and Saturday the market really comes alive with a busy second hand and bric-a-brac section. Golborne Road market has its own quirky ambiance distinct to that of nearby Portobello, with an eclectic mix of international food stalls and local services.
Golborne Road these days also serves as the hub of thriving Portuguese and North African communities.