Rural Chamberlayne Road (1900s)

Image dated 2015

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Photo taken in a northwesterly direction · Kensal Rise · NW10 · Contributed by The Underground Map
May
5
2015
Click to enlarge image.
The footpath at the top of Chamberlayne Road leading to Willesden.

   Contemporary view of the area - viewing direction is appoximate

Chamberlayne Road was originally part of a footpath which ran from Kensal Green to Willesden Green.

As the nineteenth century wore on, a railway which later became the North London Line pushes east-west across the fields and Kensal Rise (a made up name) station was built.

The footpath of Chamberlayne Road was upgraded to a suburban street as far as the station.

In 1890, the National Athletic Grounds were built just to the north of the station and Chamberlayne Road leapt over the railway to serve it.

The land hereabouts belonged to All Soul’s College and who were keen to exploit it. But, they like the rest of London were affected by a slump in property prices after 1904 and lasting until the First World War.

North of the railway they built Clifford Gardens in 1897, designed by Charles Langler and Charles Pinkham, the facades decorated with quaint and curious stucco scenes. (Note that the "1900" map was actually surveyed in 1896 as so does not show Clifford Gardens yet.

But Chamberlayne Road stopped here until the 1920s and reverted to the footpath, pictured.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

VIEW THE KENSAL RISE AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL RISE AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL RISE AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL RISE AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL RISE AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 Read blog
We have featured this location on a blog entry.
Please note that our blog will open in a new window.

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Go to Kensal Rise

Kensal Rise

Former location of the National Athletic Grounds

Kensal Rise railway station opened in 1873 as Kensal Green, replacing Kensal Green & Harlesden railway station which opened in 1861 at the crossing of Green Lane (later Wrottesley Road), lying in between the present station and Willesden Junction. The present station was renamed Kensal Rise in 1890.

The names Kensal Green and Kensal Rise are used somewhat interchangeably by non-residents to denote the same district, although residents differentiate between the areas based on proximity to the local tube and railway stations.

Roughly speaking, the area west of Chamberlayne Road, north of Harrow Road and south of Kensal Rise railway station is considered Kensal Green while that to the east of Chamberlayne Road and north of the station is considered Kensal Rise. These boundaries are by no means fixed however and some residents are known to use both terms with little regard for geographical accuracy.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Chamberlayne Farm:   Chamberlain (Wood) Farm developed out of the manor of Chambers, named after Richard de Camera, an early 13th century cleric.
Kensal Green:   Kensal Green, site of England's oldest cemetary still in use.
Kensal Rise:   Former location of the National Athletic Grounds
Kensal Rise Library:   Kensal Rise Library was a public library opened by American author Mark Twain.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Kensal Rise (1907):   Motor buses at Kensal Rise station.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
All Souls Avenue, NW10 · Amery Gardens, NW10 · Ancona Road, NW10 · Ashburnham Road, NW10 · Banister Road, W10 · Bathurst Gardens, NW10 · Bolton Gardens, NW10 · Bridge House, NW10 · Buchanan Gardens, NW10 · Burrows Road, NW10 · Chamberlayne Road, NW10 · Chelmsford Square, NW10 · Clifford Gardens, NW10 · College Road, NW10 · Crediton Road, NW10 · Dairy Close, NW10 · Doyle Gardens, NW10 · Dundonald Road, NW10 · Egerton Gardens, NW10 · Fortune Gate Road, NW10 · Fry Road, NW10 · Furness Road, NW10 · Hanover Road, NW10 · Hanover West, NW10 · Hardinge Road, NW10 · Harlesden Road, NW10 · Harvist Road, NW10 · Haycroft Gardens, NW10 · Herbert Gardens, NW10 · Holland Road, NW10 · Irwin Gardens, NW10 · Kempe Road, NW6 · Keslake Mansions, NW10 · Keslake Road, NW6 · Kings Parade, NW10 · Langler Road, NW10 · Leigh Gardens, NW10 · Leighton Gardens, NW10 · Liddell Gardens, NW10 · Linden Avenue, NW10 · Longstone Avenue, NW10 · Marian Way, NW10 · Mortimer Road, NW10 · Mount Pleasant Road, NW10 · Napier Road, NW10 · Okehampton Road, NW10 · Palermo Road, NW10 · Phillimore Gardens, NW10 · Purves Road, NW10 · Robson Avenue, NW10 · Station Terrace, NW10 · Tiverton Road, NW10 · Trevelyan Gardens, NW10 · Uffington Road, NW10 · Wakeman Road, NW10 · Whitmore Gardens, NW10 · Wrentham Avenue, NW10 · Wrottesley Road, NW10 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Kensal Green
Facebook Page
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Born in W10
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Land ownership in Willesden (1823) FREE DOWNLOAD
Map of land ownership in the Willesden area in 1823
City of London Corporation

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

John Rocque Map of Ealing and Acton (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area from Greenford in the northwest to Hammersmith in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.