Woodhouse Road, N12

Road in/near North Finchley, existing between 1655 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
34.203.245.76 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · North Finchley · N12 · Contributed by The Underground Map
FEBRUARY
10
2012


Woodhouse Road is the main road between North Finchley and Friern Barnet.

It ran along the northern edge of Finchley Common and by 1814 it was known as North Colney Hatch Road, Summers Lane being South Colney Hatch Road.

The Woodhouse area began with three houses called the Woodhouses sometime before 1655. In the mid 18th century there was a single house of this name and it was home to the well-known plasterer Thomas Collins. It was reconstructed in 1888 and in 1925 it became Woodhouse Grammar School (Now Woodhouse College).

A mansion was built on the site of Wood House between 1784 and 1798, becoming the centre of an estate.

East of the Great North Road the Churchfield estate, next to Christ Church, was divided for 50 medium-sized houses in 1900. The Woodhouse estate on both sides of Woodhouse Road, stretching from the Great North Road into Friern Barnet, had already been offered in building lots.

Finchley Urban District Council bought most of the 36 acre estate in 1915, building some 100 houses then and starting another 200 in 1919.

Most building ceased during the First World War and by 1919 houses were in short supply. The council continued building at Woodhouse Road and provided another 50 houses in 1928 and 72 in 1930. All building in the 1930s accorded with the council’s town planning scheme of 12 houses to an acre where the site fronted a main road and 10 to the acre elsewhere.

Woodhouse Road retains its large mid-Victorian house, a school, with municipal and other housing of the 1920s to the south.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



ADD A STORY TO WOODHOUSE ROAD
VIEW THE NORTH FINCHLEY AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH FINCHLEY AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH FINCHLEY AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH FINCHLEY AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH FINCHLEY AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

North Finchley

North Finchley is centred on Tally Ho Corner, the junction of the roads to East Finchley, Finchley Central and Whetstone.

The name of the whole of the modern area covering North Finchley and neighbouring Whetstone was North End, a name first used in 1462.

The rapid enclosure of the countryside in the first years of the nineteenth century meant the end of Finchley Common in 1816, opening up North Finchley from urbanisation - this still took a while nevertheless.

21 cottages were built in Lodge Lane during 1824 and by the 1830s there were other houses - even a chapel by 1837.

By 1839 North Finchley had a blacksmith (on Lodge Lane and not the High Road).

In 1851 there was a regular bus service from the ’Torrington’ to Charing Cross and next came the local railway lines. Christ Church was opened in 1870 and a new parish was formed in 1872.

In 1905 the Metropolitan Electric Tramways started a route between Highgate and Whetstone - a tram depot was opened in Woodberry Grove. Trams and buses together promoted North Finchley’s development.

OTHER UNDERGROUND MAP LOCATIONS NEAR HERE
Addington Drive · Ashurst Road · Beech Lawns · Bow Lane · Bow Lane · Boxworth Close · Bramber Road · Buxted Road · Cardrew Avenue · Cardrew Close · Chaplin Square · Christchurch Avenue · Christchurch Close · Copwood Close · Cottonham Close · Crescent Way · Crowder Close · Dale Grove · Dickens Avenue · Etchingham Court · Etchingham Park Road · Eton Avenue · Fallowfields Drive · Finchley Court · Finchley Park · Friary Close · Friary Road · Friary Way · Gaumont · Glebe Road · Glebelands Close · Glenhurst Road · Graywood Court · Hall Street · Hawthornden Close · Heatherdene Close · Hemingford Close · Holdenhurst Avenue · Lambert Road · Legion Way · Mayfield Avenue · Montrose Crescent · Moss Hall Crescent · Moss Hall Infant School · North Finchley · Northwood Gardens · Okehampton Close · Our Lady of Lourdes RC School · Park Close · Park Crescent · Park Crescent · Petworth Road · Porters Way · Sacks Morasha Jewish Primary School · Short Way · Squires Lane · St Michael’s Close · Summerside Primary Academy · The Compton School · Thyra Grove · Torrington Avenue · Torrington Park · Valley Avenue · Victoria Grove · Welbeck Close · Wentworth Close · Woodberry Grove · Woodberry Way · Woodgrange Avenue · Woodhouse College · Wren Academy ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.