The Prince Albert has been a Notting Hill feature since the 1840s.
The Prince Albert public house was built a year or so after Queen Victoria’s marriage to Prince Albert in 1840. James Weller Ladbroke, the then owner of the Ladbroke Estate, had signed an agreement in 1840 with a builder, William Chadwick, for the development of the area around the intersection of Ladbroke Road and Kensington Park Road, and Chadwick began by building a public house Ė a common practice among developers, so as to profit from their workmen spending their wages at the pub.
It appears to have been a flourishing concern from the beginning. In the 19th century it was a hotel as well as a public house and the census returns show a number of barmaids and other servants resident on the premises.
When the Chartist Leader Feargus O’Connor died in poverty in Notting Hill in 1855, the Kensington Gazette reported that ďthe friends and admirers of the deceased in his early political movements, mustered in strong force at the Prince Albert, Notting Hill, and followed the corpse two abreast to the cemetery
If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location. Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Added: 17 Aug 2017 02:40 GMT
Expires: 31 Aug 2017 02:40 GMT
Post by LDNnews: Bayswater 'Brexit may not happen' says Sir Vince Cable amid claims talks could be pushed back until December Sir Vince Cable has said he still believes there is a "significant possibility" that Brexit will not happen.
Post by LDNnews: Royal Oak
Theresa May wades into Big Ben being silenced for 4 years
The Prime Minister urged the Commons authorities to carry out an ’urgent’ review of the plans for renovating the Elizabeth Tower amid mounting anger.
Post by LDNnews: Earls Court ’Was it something we said?’ Wandworth Police want to catch up with a man who walked out of his drugs trial Wandsworth Police has put out an appeal to trace a man who walked out his trial for possessing class A drugs.
Post by LDNnews: Royal Oak Trains are too expensive. But transport’s real problem is subsidies for London | Wanda Wyporska Trains are too expensive. But transport’s real problem is subsidies for London | Wanda Wyporska
Post by LDNnews: Bayswater Waterloo delays: Tens of thousands face more chaos caused by derailed train Tens of thousands of commuters face a second day of major disruption following a crash between a passenger train and freight wagons at Waterloo station.
Post by LDNnews: Earls Court Made in Chelsea and Love Island stars set to make appearance at Bexleyheath Broadway’s rooftop music event
Love Island star Marcel and Jamie Laing from Made In Chelsea will be appearing in Bexleyheath as the Broadway Shopping Centre hosts a rooftop music event.
Post by LDNnews: Barons Court Brentford FC: Championship club submits revised plans for new stadium Championship side Brentford submit revised plans for their new stadium, with capacity reduced from 20,000 to 17,250.
Post by LDNnews: Royal Oak Man dies in fall from upper floor of London Stock Exchange Police are investigating but say they do not believe the circumstances are suspiciousPolice are investigating after a man fell to his death from an upper floor of the London Stock Exchange.The circumstances surrounding the incident on Tuesday morning were not clear but City of London police said they did not believe them to be suspicious. Continue reading...
Post by LDNnews: Bayswater Rail fares increase: season ticket cost to rise 'by hundreds of pounds' Rail commuters are to be hit with eye watering fare rises of 3.6 per cent next year, adding hundreds of pounds to the cost of season tickets.
Post by LDNnews: Elverson Road Boys expected to outdo girls in top grades as A-level results revealed
Teenagers are today receiving A-level results today, with around one in four entries expected to receive top grades.
Notting Hill Gate tube station is a London Underground station on the Central Line.
Notting Hill Gate is home to a variety of stores, restaurants, cafťs and estate agents as well as more specialist stores which include rare records and antiques, as well as two historic cinemas, the Coronet (originally opened as a theatre in 1898) and The Gate, as well as also several bars and clubs.
Much of the street was redeveloped in the 1950s with two large tower blocks being erected on the north and south sides of the street.
The sub-surface Circle and District line Notting Hill Gate station platforms were opened on 1 October 1868 by the Metropolitan Railway as part of its extension from Paddington to Gloucester Road. The Central line platforms were opened on 30 July 1900 by the Central London Railway. Entrances to the two sets of platforms were originally via separate station buildings on opposite sides of the road and access to the CLR platforms was originally via lifts.
LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Acklam Road Adventure Playground: Acklam Road Adventure Playground was created in the 1960s. All Saints Church: All Saints church was designed by the Victorian Gothic revival pioneer William White, who was also a mountaineer, Swedish gymnastics enthusiast and anti-shaving campaigner. Basing Street (SARM) Studios: SARM Studios is a recording studio, established by Chris Blackwell, the founder of Island Records. Coach and Horses: The Coach & Horses was situated at 108 Notting Hill Gate. Horbury Chapel (Kensington Temple): In September 1849, the Horbury Chapel, Notting Hill was officially opened. Kensington Hippodrome: The Kensington Hippodrome was a racecourse built in Notting Hill, London, in 1837, by entrepreneur John Whyte. Kensington Park Hotel: The KPH is a landmark pub on Ladbroke Grove. Ladbroke Grove: Ladbroke Grove is a road in the North Kensington/Notting Hill. Running from Notting Hill itself in the south to Kensal Green in the north, it straddles the W10 and W11 postal districts. Ladbroke Square Garden: Ladbroke Square communal garden lies in Notting Hill. Luxurious sewers: The effluent society Mercury Theatre: The Mercury Theatre was situated at 2a Ladbroke Road, next to the Kensington Temple. North Kensington Library: North Kensington Library opened in 1891 and was described as one of Londonís finest public libraries. Notting Hill: Notting Hill: A place whose fortunes have come, gone and come again... Notting Hill Gate: Notting Hill Gate tube station is a London Underground station on the Central Line. St Johnís Hill: St Johnís Hill is the highest point in the area. St Johnís, Notting Hill: St Johnís Notting Hill is a Victorian Anglican church built in 1845 in Lansdowne Crescent, Notting Hill. The Apollo: The Apollo pub was located at 18 All Saints Road, on the southeast corner of the Lancaster Road junction. The Bedford family at 3 Acklam Road: From the 19th century up until 1965, number 3 Acklam Road, near the Portobello Road junction, was occupied by the Bedford family. The Brittania: The Brittania was situated on the corner of Clarendon Road and Portland Road, W11. The Crown: The Crown was situated at 57 Princedale Road. The Tabernacle: The Tabernacle is a Grade II*-listed building in Powis Square built in 1887 as a church.
PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Albert Hotel (1900s): The Albert Hotel, on the corner of All Saints Road and Cornwall Road (now Westbourne Park Road). Pembridge Road (1900s): This is the view looking north down Pembridge Road from Notting Hill Gate. Political meeting (1920s): Meeting in front of the Junction Arms situated where Tavistock Road, Crescent and Basing Road met.
NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or Ė from the available evidence Ė are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.