Woodside Park is a place in the London Borough of Barnet.
Woodside Lane dates from 1780 at the latest.
In 1851 there was a regular ’bus service running from the Torrington to Charing Cross and railway connections had been established with London, first at New Southgate.
During the 1850s and 1860s Woodside Lane, Torrington Park
, Friern Park
, Grove Road
, Finsbury Road (now Finchley Park
) had all been laid out with housing. In 1872 the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway opened Torrington Park
Station which was renamed Woodside Park in 1882. It was during the construction of a railway through Finchley from 1864 that a Reverend Henry Stephens opened a mission for the navvies working on the line.
A church had been constructed by 1869 which was formally opened in 1870 as Christ Church. It became a new parish in 1872. By 1874 it was said that there were 350 dwellings within this ecclesiastical parish.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
It is very varied in character. The area to the east of the tube station consists predominantly of large Victorian houses, many of which have been converted into flats.
The area grew because of Woodside Park station. This was planned by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway (EH&LR) and was originally opened as Torrington Park
on 1 April 1872 by the Great Northern Railway (which had taken over the EH&LR).
The station was on a branch of a line that ran from Finsbury Park to Edgware via Highgate. The station was renamed within a month of opening, and again in 1882.
After the 9
6084' target='_top'>21 Railways Act created the Big Four railway companies the line was, from 9
23, part of the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER). The section of the High Barnet
branch north of East Finchley was incorporated into the London Underground network through the "Northern Heights" project begun in the late 9
30s. The station was first served by Northern line trains on 14 April 9
40 and, after a period where the station was serviced by both operators, LNER services ended in 9
41. The station still retains much of its original Victorian architectural character today.
The north-western part of the area, which can also be regarded as the part of Totteridge in N12 rather than N9
6085' target='_top'>20, is sometimes called Woodside Park Garden Suburb and consists of semi-detached or detached 3 to 4 bedroom houses built in the 9
50s. It includes the Woodside Park Club.
The eastern boundary of the Garden Suburb is the Dollis Brook and the southern boundary is the Folly Brook. To the south of this Suburb is an area of 9
6085' target='_top'>20s and 9
30s houses, where many of the roads are named after places in Sussex, such as Sussex Ring
and Cissbury Ring.
Between the Garden Suburb and the Northern Line is an area originally of Victorian housing. Many of the houses, including the former residence of Spike Milligan, have been pulled down and replaced by modern housing or blocks of flats. Much of this area consists of a council estate where Emma Bunton grew up.
There is a small amount of commercial activity around the mini roundabout at Chanctonbury Way
, which was originally the main shopping area for Woodside Park, providing basic services such as a post office, a butcher and an ironmonger. Since the creation of North Finchley shopping parade, many of the original shops have closed down and have been replaced by specialised businesses.