Print-friendly version of this page Finchley Road & Frognal railway station lies on the London Overground network.
A road called Frognal runs from Church Row
in Hampstead downhill to Finchley Road
and follows the course of a stream which goes on to form the River Westbourne.
In 1878, Frognal was described as a beautiful suburban village, full of gentlemen's seats. In 1903 it still had an air of affluence but was overlooked by 'many windowed, scarlet-faced mansions' and had lost its 'aimless paths and trees'. Building had covered most of the frontage to the road, old as well as new, and was encroaching on the large private gardens.
Frognal has a diverse architecture, with many architecturally notable buildings. The central area, lacking large council estates, has undergone less change than some other parts of Hampstead. University College School
, an independent day school founded in 1830, relocated to Frognal (the road) in 1907. Frognall Grove
, Grade II listed, (1871–72) was large house inherited by the architect George Edmund Street, who made additions to it. It was later subdivided into four semi-detached houses.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
It was originally part of the Hampstead Junction Railway - built in 1860 to provide an alternative route from the conjested Primrose Hill route into Euston. This railway ran from Willesden Junction to Camden Road and involved the construction, starting just east of Finchley Road
& Frognal station, of a tunnel to run underneath Hampstead's hill.
In turn the Hampstead Junction Railway became part of the North London Railway and, after nationalisation, the North London Line. It is now on the London Overground. The station is about five minutes' walk (400 metres) from Finchley Road
tube station, and is marked as an official out-of-system interchange between the two.