Barlby Road Primary School

School in North Kensington, existing between 1890 and now

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
School · North Kensington · W10 · Contributed by The Underground Map
October
27
2015


Originally called Edinburgh Road School and dating from the late 1800s, the school has been on this plot for over a century.

The original school was sited in what is now the playground of the modern school. Indeed, the modern school is situated in what was the playground of the original school - on an old map such as the 1900 one, you can see this shift of location.

It was called "Edinburgh Road School" as North Kensington road names have had a habit of changing over the course of time - this was the name for Barlby Road before it was extended westwards.



Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

VIEW THE NORTH KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Go to North Kensington

North Kensington

North Kensington lies either side of Ladbroke Grove, W10.

North Kensington was rural until the 19th century when it was developed as an suburb with quite large homes. By the 1880s, too many houses had been built for the upper-middle class towards whom the area was aimed. Large houses were divided into low cost flats which often degenerated into slums, as documented in the photographs of Roger Mayne.

During the 1980s, the area started to be gentrified although areas in the north west of the district at Ladbroke Grove and Westbourne Park remain deprived and run down to this day.

Waves of immigrants have arrived for at least a century including, but certainly not limited to, the Spanish, the Irish, the Jews, the West Indians, the Portuguese, the Moroccans and many from the Horn of Africa and Eastern Europe. This constant renewal of the population makes the area one of the most cosmopolitan in London.

The Notting Hill carnival was first staged in 1964 as a way for the local Afro-Caribbean communities to celebrate their own cultures and traditions. After some rough times in the 1970s and 1980s when it became associated with social protest, violence and huge controversy over policing tactics, this is now Europe’s largest carnival/festival event and a major event in the London calendar. It is staged every August over the Bank holiday weekend.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
A seminal gig:   Once upon a time in 1979, Joy Division, OMD and A Certain Ratio were on the same bill - and all for £1.50.
Acklam Hall:   Acklam Hall became a community centre for the post-Westway Acklam Road
Admiral Blake (The Cowshed):   The Admiral Blake was situated at the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Barlby Road.
Bassett House School:   Bassett House School is a preparatory school for children aged 3 to 11 years old based in North Kensington.
Cabaret Voltaire in Acklam Road:   Cabaret Voltaire played one of their classic early gigs under the flyover in Acklam Road.
Carmelite Monastery of The Most Holy Trinity:   Convent in North Kensington
Clayton Arms:   A pub which was situated halfway down West Row in Kensal Town.
Color Printing Works:   Color (sic) Printing Works featured on the 1900 map of North Kensington.
Dissenters’ Chapel:   The Dissenters’ Chapel is a redundant chapel in Kensal Green Cemetery, recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.
Gas Light and Coke Company:   The gasometers of the Gas Light and Coke company dominated North Kensington until demolition in the late 20th century.
Help us to build a better W10!:   We are after your memories!
I Was Lord Kitchener’s Valet:   I Was Lord Kitchener’s Valet was a clothing boutique which achieved fame in 1960s "Swinging London" by promoting antique military uniforms as fashion items.
Kensal House:   There are two Kensal Houses in London W10 - this was the original
Lads of the Village:   One of the signature public houses along Kensal Road.
Middle Row Bus Garage:   Middle Row Bus Garage was situated on the corner of Conlan Street and Middle Row, W10.
Middle Row School:   Middle Row School was established in the late 19th century to provide education to the children of Kensal New Town.
North Kensington:   North Kensington lies either side of Ladbroke Grove, W10.
Notting Hill Barn Farm:   Notting Barns Farm was one of two farms in the North Kensington area.
Portobello Farm:   Portobello Farm House was approached along Turnpike Lane, sometimes referred to as Green’s Lane, a track leading from Kensington Gravel Pits towards a wooden bridge over the canal.
Princess Louise Hospital:   The Princess Louise Hospital for Children was opened by King George V and Queen Mary in 1928. It had 42 beds, an Out-Patients Department and Dispensary for Sick Women.
Queen Victoria/Narrow Boat:   The 'Vic' was the first building on the right when crossing the canal going north along Ladbroke Grove.
Saint John the Evangelist:   Saint John’s Church stands on the busy crossroads of Harrow Road, Kilburn Lane and Ladbroke Grove and on the boundaries of the London Boroughs of Brent, Kensington and the City of Westminster, in which it stands.
Sion Manning Roman Catholic Girls’ School:   Sion Manning Roman Catholic Girls’ School is in St Charles Square.
St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College:   St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College is a Roman Catholic sixth form college.
St Charles Hospital:   The St Marylebone workhouse infirmary was opened in 1881 on Rackham Street, North Kensington and received a congratulatory letter from Florence Nightingale.
St Martins Mission:   Saint Martin's Mission was originally known as Rackham Hall as it was situated on Rackham Street.
St Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubbs:   St Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubbs - two spellings missing from the modern map.
St. Joseph's Home:   St Joseph's dominated a part of Portobello Road up until the 1980s.
The Eagle:   The Eagle, on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Telford Road.
The Flora:   The Flora is situated on Harrow Road, W10.
The Foresters:   A lost pub of London W10
The Mitre:   The Mitre was situated at 62 Golborne Road.
The Prince of Wales (Chilled Eskimo):   A pub in Kensal Town
Western Arms:   The Western Arms was a pub situated on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Kensal Road.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Acklam Road protests:   Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Corner of Rackham Street, Ladbroke Grove (1950):   The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
Exmoor Street (1950):   Photographed just after the Second World War, looking north along Exmoor Street.
Golborne Road bridge (1960s):   We think that this photo dates from the late 1960s, according to fashions and car registrations.
Graffiti along Acklam Road (1970s):   Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Kids in Acklam Road:   Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Ladbroke Grove looking north (1900):   This early 1900s image was taken just south of the junction of Ladbroke Grove and Treverton Street.
Ladbroke Grove looking north (1950):   Ladbroke Grove on the corner of St Charles Sqaure taken outside the Eagle public house, looking north, just prior to the outbreak of the Second World War.
Ladbroke Grove railway bridge:   Looking north over Bartle Bridge in the 1950s
Rackham Street, eastern end (1950):   The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
Rackham Street, western end (1950):   A bombed-out Rackham Street, looking down from the junction with Exmoor Street.
St Charles Square after bombing (1950):   A corner of St Charles Square looking north, just after the Second World War
St Charles Square ready for redevelopment (1951):   Photographed in 1951, the corner of St Charles Square and Ladbroke Grove looking northwest just after the Second World War.
St Charles’ Square Training College (1908):   St Charles’ Square Training College/Carmelite Convent.
St Quintin Park Cricket Ground (1890s):   Before the turn of the 20th century, west of present day North Kensington lay fields - the future Barlby Road was the site of the St Quintin Park Cricket Ground.
The Victoria (1920s):   The Victoria later became the Narrow Boat before it ’conveniently burned down’.
Under westway (1977):   Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Western Dwellings from below (1960s):   This photo was taken from the bottom of Southern Row steps.
William Miller's Yard:   William Miller's Yard stood in Chapel Place, West Row.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Acklam Road, W10 · Adela Street, W10 · Admiral Mews, W10 · Archway Close, W10 · Ashburn Gardens, SW7 · Astwood Mews, SW7 · Balliol Road, W10 · Barlby Gardens, W10 · Barlby Road, W10 · Bassett Road, W10 · Bevington Road, W10 · Bonchurch Road, W10 · Bracewell Road, W10 · Branstone Street, W10 · Brechin Place, SW7 · Bruce Close, W10 · Calverley Street, W10 · Canal Close, W10 · Canal Way, W10 · Chesterton Road, W10 · Cornwall Gardens, SW7 · Dalgarno Gardens, W10 · Emperors Gate, SW7 · Exmoor Street, W10 · Faraday Road, W10 · Finstock Road, W10 · Galton Street, W10 · Golborne Mews, W10 · Golborne Road, W10 · Grenville Place, SW7 · Harrow Road, W10 · Hawthorn Walk, W10 · Hewer Street, W10 · Highlever Road, W10 · Humber Drive, W10 · Huxley Street, W10 · Ivebury Court, W10 · Kelfield Mews, W10 · Kensal House, W10 · Kingsbridge Road, W10 · Kynance Mews, SW7 · Ladbroke Grove, W10 · Lavie Mews, W10 · Lionel Mews, W10 · Manchester Drive, W10 · Manchester Road, W10 · Maple Walk, W10 · Matthew Close, W10 · Maxilla Walk, W10 · Methwold Road, W10 · Middle Row, W10 · Millwood Street, W10 · Mitre Way, W10 · Morgan Road, W10 · Munro Mews, W10 · Norburn Street, W10 · North Pole Road, W10 · Oakworth Road, W10 · Osten Mews, SW7 · Oxford Gardens, W10 · Pamber Street, W10 · Pangbourne Avenue, W10 · Porlock Street, W10 · Rackham Street, W10 · Raddington Road, W10 · Raymede Street, W10 · Regent Street, NW10 · Ronan Walk, W10 · Rosary Gardens, SW7 · Salters Road, W10 · Scampston Mews, W10 · Silchester Street, W10 · Southam Street, W10 · Southern Row, W10 · St Charles Place, W10 · St Charles Square, W10 · St Helens Gardens, W10 · St Johns Terrace, W10 · St Lawrence Terrace, W10 · St Marks Road, W10 · St Quintin Avenue, W10 · St Quintin Gardens, W10 · Sunbeam Crescent, W10 · Sutton Way, W10 · Sycamore Walk, W10 · Telford Road, W10 · Thorpe Close, W10 · Treverton Street, W10 · Walmer Road, W10 · West Row, W10 · Western Dwellings · Westway, W11 · Wornington Road, W10 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

North Kensington Histories
Recollections of people from North Kensington, London
Old Notting Hill/North Ken History
Facebook group, covering the history of W10 and W11.
RBKC Library Time Machine
Blog from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Library
Latimer Road
Facebook Page
Queen’s Park
Facebook Page
White City
Facebook Page
Ladbroke Grove
Facebook Page
Kensal Green
Facebook Page
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Born in W10
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.

Maps


Inner West London (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
1930s map covering East Acton, Holland Park, Kensington, Notting Hill, Olympia, Shepherds Bush and Westbourne Park,
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

John Rocque Map of Ealing and Acton (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area from Greenford in the northwest to Hammersmith in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.