Print-friendly version of this page Ashen GroveSouth Wimbledon is a suburb - also known as Merton - and tube station in South London.
Farm lay in Wimbledon Park.
Wimbledon Park dates from 1576 and focused on the first Manor House built at Vineyard Hill
in 1588, later known as the Elizabethan Manor House. The park was managed as a deer park to provide fresh meat for the Manor of Wimbledon.
By the early 17th century the Park occupied nearly 4oo acres. The Park was dotted with large clumps of trees and small woods where the deer grazed. The eastern part of the estate, was Ashen Grove
Farm. (Also known as ‘Wimbledon Park’ farm.)
It was established in 1633 by John Halfhead from Hertfordshire, who cleared a wood there at the time.
The site of the farm lies off of the modern road called Ashen Grove
. However, this was before that the name of a wood called Ashen Grove
which lay immediately to the north. The name is marked as a small settlement from the 1750 Roque map onwards.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Map of the area dating from the turn of the 20th century
Merton is ten minutes walk from Wimbledon
centre, and is most obviously recognised by the busy crossroads at which South Wimbledon
tube station is situated on one corner.
Admiral Nelson once had property in this part of London
called Merton Place, and therefore a number of roads and pubs in the region (immediately to the east, and much further to the west, in Wimbledon
Chase) are named after historically relevant battles and ships. The Nelson's Arms pub is on the road to Colliers Wood.
station was designed by Charles Holden and was opened on 13 September 1926 as part of the Morden extension of the City & South London
Railway (now part of the Northern Line).
station - not being actually in Wimbledon
- was given this name as it was thought that Wimbledon
had a higher social standing than its actual location of Merton. On the original plan it had the name Merton Grove
. For geographical accuracy, the station was originally named South Wimbledon (Merton)
and it appeared as such on early tube maps and on the original station platform signage.