Moving with the times, Belsize Court Garages was originally called Belsize Court Stables and is alternatively called Belsize Court Gardens.
The street forms an attractive group of relatively intact mews terraces, many retaining original
features such as garage doors, sash windows, and a door at first floor to No. 6.
No. 9 has an overtly modern extension but this maintains the building line and scale. Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
|VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
| ||Upload an image|
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
| ||Add new information to this location|
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.
Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground.
Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster (AD 986) and it is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086), the history of Hampstead is generally traced back to the 17th century.
Trustees of the Well started advertising the medicinal qualities of the chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) in 1700. Although Hampstead Wells was initially successful, its popularity declined in the 1800s due to competition with other London spas. The spa was demolished in 1882, although a water fountain was left behind.
Hampstead started to expand following the opening of the North London Railway in the 1860s (now on the London Overground), and expanded further after the tube station opened in 1907.
|LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
: The Manor of Belsize dates back to 1317, with the name is derived from French bel assis
meaning 'well situated'.Fine Arts College
: Fine Arts College is an Independent school and sixth form founded in 1978 by artists Candida Cave and Nicholas Cochrane. Fitzjohn’s Primary School
: Fitzjohn’s Primary School is a community primary school, established in 1953.Gospel Oak
: Gospel Oak is an inner suburb of north London below Hampstead Heath.Hall School
: The Hall School is an independent boys’ preparatory school in Belsize Park.Hillfield Court
: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillfield_CourtIsokon Building
: The Isokon building is a concrete block of 34 flats designed by architect Wells Coates for Molly and Jack Pritchard, as an experiment in communal living.Metropolitan Borough of Hampstead
: The Metropolitan Borough of Hampstead was a Metropolitan borough of the County of London from 1900 to 1965, when it was amalgamated with the Metropolitan Borough of St Pancras and the Metropolitan Borough of Holborn to form the London Borough of Camden.Pax Lodge
: Pax Lodge is the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) World Centre.Rosslyn House
: Rosslyn (Roslyn) House, which stood between Wedderburn and Lyndhurst Roads, was one of the last of the famous old Hampstead houses to be destroyed. Shepherd’s Well
: Shepherd’s Well, whose flow was thought to be nearly as pure as distilled water, is the source of the River Tyburn.St Stephen’s Church
: St. Stephen’s is a former church building, sited on Rosslyn Hill at its junction with Pond Street, a steep slope adjacent to the Royal Free Hospital.St. Mary’s Town and Country School
: St. Mary’s Town and Country School was an independent, non-denominational, co-educational progressive day and boarding school.St. Stephen%27s Church, Rosslyn Hill
: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Stephen%27s_Church%2C_Rosslyn_HillThe Load of Hay
: The Load of Hay was established by 1721.The Royal School, Hampstead
: The Royal School, Hampstead, was an independent girls’ day and boarding school. The school educated girls aged 3-16.
Adamson Road, NW3
|NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
· Adelaide Road, NW3
· Akenside Road, NW3
· Antrim Grove, NW3
· Antrim Mansions, NW3
· Antrim Road, NW3
· Aspern Grove, NW3
· Baynes Mews, NW3
· Belsize Avenue, NW3
· Belsize Court Garages, NW3
· Belsize Court, NW3
· Belsize Crescent, NW3
· Belsize Cresent, NW3
· Belsize Grove, NW3
· Belsize Lane, NW3
· Belsize Park Gardens, NW3
· Belsize Park Mews, NW3
· Belsize Park, NW3
· Belsize Place, NW3
· Belsize Square, NW3
· Belsize Terrace, NW3
· Briary Close, NW3
· Brocas Close, NW3
· Buckland Crescent, NW3
· Chalcot Gardens, NW3
· College Crescent, NW3
· College Cresent, NW3
· Connaught Mews, NW3
· Conybeare, NW3
· Crossfield Road, NW3
· Daleham Gardens, NW3
· Daleham Mews, NW3
· Downside Crescent, NW3
· Dunboyne Road, NW3
· Elizabeth Mews, NW3
· Englands Lane, NW3
· Eton Avenue, NW3
· Eton College Road, NW3
· Eton Court, NW3
· Eton Garages, NW3
· Eton Hall, NW3
· Eton Rise, NW3
· Eton Road, NW3
· Eton Villas, NW3
· Fellows Road, NW3
· Fitzjohn's Avenue, NW3
· Fountain Mews, NW3
· Garnett Road, NW3
· Glenilla Road, NW3
· Glenloch Road, NW3
· Glenmore Road, NW3
· Gordon House Road, NW3
· Hampstead Green, NW3
· Hampstead Hill Gardens, NW3
· Haverstock Hill, NW3
· Hawtrey Road, NW3
· Hillfield Court, NW3
· Hillfield Mansions, NW3
· Hornby Close, NW3
· Howitt Close, NW3
· Howitt Road, NW3
· Huson Close, NW3
· King?s College Road, NW3
· Kingsford Street, NW5
· Lamble Street, NW5
· Lambolle Place, NW3
· Lambolle Road, NW3
· Lancaster Drive, NW3
· Lancaster Grove, NW3
· Lancaster Stables, NW3
· Lawn Road, NW3
· Lowlands, NW3
· Lyndhurst Gardens, NW3
· Lyndhurst Road, NW3
· Lyndhurst Terrace, NW3
· Maitland Park Road, NW3
· Maitland Park Villas, NW3
· Mansfield Road, NW3
· Mansfield Road, NW5
· Martys Yard, NW3
· Maryon Mews, NW3
· McCrone Mews, NW3
· Midland Crescent, NW3
· Northways Parade, NW3
· Ormonde Court, NW3
· Ornan Road, NW3
· Parkhill Road, NW3
· Perceval Avenue, NW3
· Pond Street, NW3
· Primrose Gardens, NW3
· Princess Mews, NW3
· Provost Road, NW3
· Quickswood, NW3
· Rosslyn Hill, NW3
· Rowland Hill Street, NW3
· Shepherd's Path, NW3
· Shepherds Walk, NW3
· Stanbury Court, NW3
· Steele?s Mews South, NW3
· Steele?s Road, NW3
· Strathray Gardens, NW3
· Sumpter Close, NW3
· Tasker Road, NW3
· Thurlow Road, NW3
· Tobin Close, NW3
· Tudor Close, NW3
· Upper Park Road, NW3
· Vane Close, NW3
· Wandsworth Place, NW3
· Waterhouse Close, NW3
· Wedderburn Road, NW3
· Wood Field, NW3
· Woodland Walk, NW3
|USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES|
- If you wish to link to this article in another article, copy the text in blue: [[34107|Belsize Court Garages, NW3]] - you can change the italic text to suit your text
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *L0L* for a left-aligned image
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *R0R* for a right-aligned image
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés.
Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death.
The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London
London Underground map from 1921.
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York
London Underground map from 1908.
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)