Print-friendly version of this page Parliament HillHampstead Heath railway station has been part of the London Overground since 11 November 2007.
is an area of open parkland in the south-east corner of Hampstead Heath
In 1875 Hampstead Heath
was acquired for the people by the Metropolitan Board of Works. Thirteen years later Parliament Hill
was purchased for the public for £300 000 and added to Hampstead Heath
. It has been administered by the City of London Corporation since 1989.It is a popular place that is used by walkers, runners and kite flyers.
is 98 metres high and notable for its excellent views of the capital’s skyline - to Canary Wharf, the Gherkin, the Shard and St Paul’s Cathedral.
It is known particularly as a cross-country running venue and hosted the 2009 English National Championships. The 2012 English National Cross Country Championships were also staged at Parliament Hill
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
View towards Central London from the top of Parliament Hill (2007)
In the nineteenth century up to 100,000 people per day used the station at weekends and on public holidays as the Heath was a popular holiday destination for Londoners. The station was rebuilt, after Second World War bomb damage, and in the 1990s in conjunction with works to allow Eurostar trains to use the North London Line.