Denning Road, NW3
Road in/near Hampstead, existing between 1878 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.
Denning Road is a street in Hampstead.
In 1873 the contractor John Culverhouse was allowed to enclose waste on the south side of Willow Road
, from Willow Cottages to Downshire Hill
. The strip was enfranchised and conveyed in 1875 to the British Land Co., which also acquired the Carlile estate, enfranchised in 1873, between Gayton Road
and Crescent, Willow Road
, and Downshire Hill
All the roads (Denning, Willoughby, Kemplay, and Carlingford roads and Rudall Crescent
) had been laid out on the estate by 1878, and houses there and on the Willow Road
frontage were complete by 1886.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground.
Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster (AD 986) and it is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086), the history of Hampstead is generally traced back to the 17th century.
Trustees of the Well started advertising the medicinal qualities of the chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) in 1700. Although Hampstead Wells was initially successful, its popularity declined in the 1800s due to competition with other London spas. The spa was demolished in 1882, although a water fountain was left behind.
Hampstead started to expand following the opening of the North London Railway in the 1860s (now on the London Overground), and expanded further after the tube station opened in 1907.