Print-friendly version of this page The part of Queen's Park which is in the W10 postcode and City of Westminster, is known as the Queens Park Estate.
Galton Street lies within the Queen’s Park
Because of its townscape and architectural quality and its historical interest, the Queen’s Park
Estate was designed as a conservation area in 1978. A number of properties had been sold and many of them had
already been "improved" in such an insensitive way that the visual unity of whole terraces was threatened.
The designation enabled the City Council to safeguard the character of the Estate and give guidance to
owner-occupiers on suitable improvements. The conservation area was extended in 1991 to include parts
of the Grand Union Canal and the Harrow Road
Library (part of this extension was transferred to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea in 1994).
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
User unknown/public domain
It was built from 1874 by the Artisans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company. The architecture of that estate of some 2000 small houses is distinctively Gothic-revival, with polychrome brickwork, pinnacles and turrets along the bigger roads.
It retains First Avenue
, Second Avenue
etc up to Sixth Avenue
, and originally had streets A-P. The street names have been made into full words, (Alperton Street
, Barfett Street
, Caird Street
, Droop Street
, Embrook Street, Farrant Street
, Galton Street, Huxley Street
, Ilbert Street
, Kilravock Street
, Lothrop Street
, Marne Street
, Nutbourne Street
, Oliphant Street
, Peach Street).
It was on this estate that the first QPR footballers had their homes.