Redington Gardens, NW3
Road in/near Hampstead, existing between 1911 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.
Redington Gardens is the northern extension of Heath Drive
Redington Gardens, from Templewood Avenue
to Redington Road
was laid out in 1911 and four houses were built there in 1913.
Oak Tree House, designed in 1874 by Basil Champneys for Henry Holiday (1839-1927), the stained-glass painter, on land at Branch Hill
Park preceded the road which became its address. Oak Tree House had, by the 1980s, been converted to council flats.
Redington Gardens was laid along the course of the infant River Westbourne, running down the hill here from Branch Hill
. It combined here with two tiny tributaries.
Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground.
Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster (AD 986) and it is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086), the history of Hampstead is generally traced back to the 17th century.
Trustees of the Well started advertising the medicinal qualities of the chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) in 1700. Although Hampstead Wells was initially successful, its popularity declined in the 1800s due to competition with other London spas. The spa was demolished in 1882, although a water fountain was left behind.
Hampstead started to expand following the opening of the North London Railway in the 1860s (now on the London Overground), and expanded further after the tube station opened in 1907.