The story of the building of a suburb.
|ADD A STORY TO SUTHERLAND PLACE|
Do you come from Sutherland Place, W2, or know it well? Tell your story here.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Added: 17 Jun 2018 10:18 GMT
|Post by Frank Dawson: Saint Marks Place, W11|
My mum was the housekeeper for the vicar of St Marks Church which was in St Marks Place Notting Hill from 1961 until 1963. The vicarage was around the corner in Blenheim Ces. I can?t find any old photographs of the church
The Green family
Added: 17 Jun 2018 08:43 GMT
|Post by The Green family: Rackham Street, W10|
We lived at no 6 Rackham street until we were bombed out during the war.My father was Thomas Green and mother Hilda(Hall). It had a sweet shop and a Catholic church at the end of the road.
Added: 16 Jun 2018 20:51 GMT
|Post by AxyokJeoks: The Tabernacle|
winward casino aol games casino jupiters casino gold coast https://ausonlinecasino.com/ - casino online
Added: 16 Jun 2018 20:37 GMT
|Post by AuwurJeoks: The Tabernacle|
treasury casino casino online doubledown casino https://onlinecasinoaussie24.com/ - joe fortune casino
Added: 16 Jun 2018 20:33 GMT
|Post by AjwulJeoks: The Tabernacle|
jupiters casino gold coast emu casino black diamond casino https://onlinecasinoaus24.com/ - star casino sydney
Added: 16 Jun 2018 20:01 GMT
|Post by AwezoJeoks: The Tabernacle|
online casino games online casinos for us players online casino games https://casino-online2018.us.org/ - betfair online casino
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:56 GMT
|Post by AlkhrJeoks: The Tabernacle|
online casino slots online casino games gsn casino slots https://onlinecasinoss.us.org/ - online casino real money
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:55 GMT
|Post by AmkrdJeoks: The Tabernacle|
online casino gambling betfair online casino online casino gambling https://online-casinoss.us.org/ - online casino bonus
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:55 GMT
|Post by AwuegJeoks: The Tabernacle|
online casino online casino games online casino games https://onlinecasino-games.us.org/ - mgm online casino
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:48 GMT
|Post by AqimpJeoks: The Tabernacle|
buy painkillers online overnight tramadol generic tramadol 100mg https://buytramadol100mg.us.org/ - tramadol opioid
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:45 GMT
|Post by AlgnyJeoks: The Tabernacle|
buy tramadol tramadol 50mg tramadol 50 mg tablet https://buytramadol.us.org/ - tramadol hcl
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:43 GMT
|Post by AdffnJeoks: The Tabernacle|
treasury casino casino games raging bull casino https://ausonlinecasino.com/ - black diamond casino
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:37 GMT
|Post by AxspeJeoks: The Tabernacle|
raging bull casino mongoose casino crown casino https://onlicasinoaussi24.com/ - aol games casino
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:11 GMT
|Post by AngbxJeoks: The Tabernacle|
casino bonus online casinos casino play https://onlinecasinoslotsparty.com/ - real money casino
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:10 GMT
|Post by AexprJeoks: The Tabernacle|
tramadol hcl 50 mg tramadol hydrochloride tramadol hydrochloride https://tramadolhcl.us.com/ - tramadol hcl 50 mg tablet
Added: 18 Jun 2018 12:00 GMT
|Post by LDNnews: Bayswater|
Animals that thrive in the dark
Could you survive in pitch-black conditions? Meet the animals that not only survive but thrive.
|VIEW THE WESTBOURNE GREEN AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WESTBOURNE GREEN AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WESTBOURNE GREEN AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WESTBOURNE GREEN AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WESTBOURNE GREEN AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
| ||Edit the text|
As the curator of this location, edit the text here.
...and since this is a street, we want to know its history!
| ||Upload an image|
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
| ||Add new information to this location|
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
Westbourne Green had only a few houses by 1745, mostly south of the point where Harrow Road had a junction with Westbourne Green Lane (also known as Black Lion Lane) running northward from the Uxbridge Road. A footpath later called Bishop’s Walk (eventually Bishop’s Bridge Road) provided a short cut to Paddington Green. The Red Lion, where Harrow Road bridged the Westbourne, and another inn were recorded in 1730. The second inn was probably one called the Jolly Gardeners in 1760 and the Three Jolly Gardeners in 1770, near the Harrow Road junction, where it probably made way for the Spotted Dog.
The early 19th-century village contained five notable residences: Westbourne Place, west of Black Lion Lane at its junction with Harrow Road, and, from south to north on the east side of Harrow Road, Desborough Lodge, Westbourne Farm, Bridge House, and Westbourne Manor House. Bridge House was built c. 1805 by the architect John White, owner of Westbourne Farm.
Westbourne Green had a very refined air in 1795 and was still considered a beautiful rural place in 1820. The Grand Junction canal, passing north of the village between the grounds of Westbourne Farm and Bridge House, was a scenic enhancement, later used to attract expensive building to the area. Although housing was spreading along Black Lion Lane, it had not reached Westbourne Green by 1828, when a house later called Elm Lodge stood north-west of Westbourne Manor House. There was also a short row, later called Belsize Villas, alone to the west on the south side of Harrow Road at Orme’s Green, by 1830. The main addition was at the southern end of the village, opposite Bishop’s Walk, where Pickering Terrace (later part of Porchester Road), backed by a double row called Pickering Place, formed a compact block of cottages amid the fields.
The cutting of the G.W.R. line across the middle of Westbourne Green was begun in 1836, necessitating a slight northward realignment of Harrow Road east of its junction with Black Lion Lane, where a turnpike gate was moved. Since the railway obstructed the Paddington green end of Bishop’s Walk, the footpath was replaced by Bishop’s Road, soon extended westward as Westbourne Grove. (Although no large houses were demolished, the railway passed close to Westbourne Park, from which Lord Hill moved out. By 1840 several new roads were projected, including Westbourne Grove. Houses had been built there by 1842, when the Lock hospital, giving its name to the Lock bridge where Harrow Road crossed the canal, stood opposite Westbourne Manor House to the north. The centre of the area, however, along Harrow Road and on either side of the railway, remained empty.
Housing spread in the 1840s, mainly south of the railway. The eastern end of Bishop’s Road was built up and at first called Westbourne Place, where the publisher George Smith was visited by Charlotte Bronte in 1848 and 1849. Further north, residential growth was curtailed by the G.W.R. depots and sidings. Immediately to the west, where the Paddington Estate straddled the Westbourne, roads were laid out, with bridges over the railway to link them with Harrow Road. Holy Trinity church was finished in 1846 and Orsett Terrace, Gloucester Crescent (later the northernmost part of Gloucester Terrace), and Porchester Square had been planned by 1851. No. 37 Gloucester Gardens, Bishop’s Road, was the London home of the architect Decimus Burton by 1855. Most of the area between Bishop’s Road and the railway had been filled by 1855, except the site of Penny’s House, which was to be taken in 1871 for Royal Oak station.
A builder, William Scantlebury, erected much of the neighbourhood around Orsett Terrace and Gloucester Crescent, where he took leases in 1849-50 and 1852 respectively. John Scantlebury of Porchester Terrace North built part of Porchester Square, where many plots were subleased by George Wyatt between 1853 and 1855.
Farther west building had already begun for William Kinnaird Jenkins, a lawyer who also acquired part of the Ladbroke estate from W. H. Jenkins and was responsible for laying out Kensal New Town. Houses were planned for W. K. Jenkins along both sides of Westbourne Grove, west of Pickering Place, in 1838 and along an extension of Westbourne Grove in 1840. They were detached villas, like those to be built for him in Newton Road in 1846, when he also had plans for Hereford Road. More land in Hereford Road was leased out by the Paddington Estate between 1853 and 1855, much of it for terraces by J. P. Waterson, a Bayswater builder, who assigned his interest in several sites to John Wicking Phillips. To the north, Westbourne Park and its grounds made way for large semidetached villas in Westbourne Park Road and, beside the railway, Westbourne Park Villas. No. 16 Westbourne Park Villas from 1863 to 1867 was the intermittent home of Thomas Hardy, who also lived briefly at no. 4 Celbridge Place (later Porchester Road) and in Newton Road. Fields survived between Westbourne Park Road and Newton Road in 1851 but had been covered with modest terraces by 1855, when St. Stephen’s church was being built.
Between the railway and the canal, the pace of building and the social pattern were more varied. The eastern part, where Delamere Terrace lined the canal and Warwick Crescent overlooked the pool, was begun as an extension of Little Venice. Leases for 13 houses in Westbourne Terrace Road were taken in 1847 by G. L. Taylor, architect of some of the grandest houses in Tyburnia and Maida Vale, who also built in Blomfield Terrace, along Harrow Road. Other lessees included William Buddle, for 19 houses in Blomfield Street (later Villas) and Delamere Terrace in 1851 and 12 in Warwick Crescent, where plots were assigned to him by G. L. Taylor in 1852. Early residents included Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s sister Arabel Barrett in Delamere Terrace; in order to be near her Robert Browning moved from lodgings at no. 1 Chichester Road and made his English home at no. 19 Warwick Crescent from 1862 until 1887.
Farther west, beyond Ranelagh (from 1938 Lord Hill’s) Road, building was slightly delayed by the survival until after 1855 of Desborough Lodge and Westbourne Farm. Brindley Street, Alfred Road, and their neighbours already formed densely packed terraces west of the Lock Bridge and Harrow Road. By 1861 Desborough Lodge and Westbourne Farm had made way for Clarendon, Woodchester and Cirencester Streets, whose small houses resembled those around Brindley Street rather than the stately terraces to the east.
North of the canal, the workhouse was built next to the Lock in 1846-7. Building, although not the imposing crescent planned in 1847, stretched from there along the south side of Harrow Road to Woodfield Road at Orme’s Green by 1855.
The 1860s saw housing, which had ended in 1855 at St. Stephen’s Church and Hereford Road, spread to the Kensington boundary.
North of the canal the site of Westbourne Manor House was built over from 1867 and Amberley Road with its timber wharves was built along the canal bank. The whole of Westbourne Green thus came to be built up.
|LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
: Canal side house in Westbourne ParkCollege Park School
: Community special school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 19.Desborough Lodge
: Desborough Lodge was a house which was one of five grand houses in the village of Westbourne Green.Duke of Cornwall (The Ledbury)
: The Duke of Cornwall pub morphed into the uber-trendy "The Ledbury" restaurant.Edward Wilson Primary School
: Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.Notting Hill in Bygone Days
: Notting Hill in Bygone Days
by Florence Gladstone, was originally published in 1924 by T. Fisher Unwin.Our Lady of Dolours RC Primary School
: Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.Pembridge Hall School
: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Queensway Children’s Centre
: This is a children’s centre.River Westbourne
: The Westbourne is one of the lost rivers of London.Spotted Dog
: The Spotted Dog public house was one of the earliest buildings in Westbourne Green.St Mary Magdalene CofE Primary School
: Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.St Stephen’s CofE Primary School
: Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.St. Mary of the Angels Catholic Primary School
: Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.The Tabernacle
: The Tabernacle is a Grade II*-listed building in Powis Square built in 1887 as a church.Westbourne Farm
: An old farm with a theatrical connection.Westbourne Green
: The story of the building of a suburb.Westbourne House
: Two hundred years ago, the biggest house hereabouts...Westbourne Manor
: The Manor of WestbourneWestbourne Park
: Westbourne Park was originally, with Westbourne Green, an area simply known as Westbourne.Westminster Academy
: Academy sponsor led (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
Wetherby Preparatory School
: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 8 and 13.
Admiral Walk, W9
|NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
· Aldridge Road Villas, W11
· Aldsworth Close, W9
· Alexander Mews, W2
· Alexander Street, W2
· Alfred Road, W2
· Artesian Road, W2
· Bourne Terrace, W2
· Bridstow Place, W2
· Burdett Mews, W2
· Caradoc Close, W2
· Chepstow Corner, W2
· Chepstow Crescent, W11
· Chepstow Place, W2
· Chepstow Road, W2
· Chepstow Villas, W11
· Cirencester Street, W2
· Colville Mews, W11
· Colville Road, W11
· Colville Terrace, W11
· Courtnell Street, W2
· Dartmouth Close, W11
· Dawson Place, W2
· Denbigh Close, W11
· Denbigh Road, W11
· Denbigh Terrace, W11
· Dudley Street, W2
· Elsie Lane Court, W2
· Evesham House, W2
· Great Western Road, W11
· Hatherley Grove, W2
· Hedgegate Court, W11
· Hereford Road, W2
· Hunter Lodge, W9
· Kildare Terrace, W2
· Lambton Place, W11
· Leamington House, W11
· Leamington Road Villas, W11
· Ledbury Mews North, W11
· Ledbury Mews West, W11
· Ledbury Road, W11
· Ledbury Road, W2
· Leinster Square, W2
· Lister Lodge, W9
· Lonsdale Road, W11
· Lord Hills Road, W2
· Marylebone Flyover, W2
· Monmouth Road, W2
· Moorhouse Road, W2
· Needham Road, W11
· Newton Road, W2
· Northumberland Place, W2
· Northumberland Place, W2
· Paddington Green, W2
· Pembridge Crescent, W11
· Pembridge Mews, W11
· Pembridge Place, W11
· Pembridge Place, W2
· Pembridge Square, W2
· Pembridge Villas, W11
· Pencombe Mews, W11
· Powis Mews, W11
· Powis Square, W11
· Powis Terrace, W11
· Princes Mews, W2
· Rede Place, W2
· Rosehart Mews, W11
· Rowington Close, W2
· Saint Stephen’s Gardens, W2
· Senior Street, W2
· Shrewsbury Road, W2
· Simon Close, W11
· St John’s Mews, W11
· St Stephens Gardens, W2
· St Stephens Mews, W2
· St Stephen’s Gardens, W2
· Sutherland Place, W2
· Sutherland Place, W2
· Talbot Road, W11
· Talbot Road, W2
· Torquay Street, W2
· Wellington Close, W11
· Westbourne Gardens, W2
· Westbourne Grove Mews, W11
· Westbourne Grove Terrace, W2
· Westbourne Grove, W11
· Westbourne Grove, W2
· Westbourne Park Road, W11
· Westbourne Park Road, W2
· Westbourne Park Villas, W2
· Westway, W2
· Woodchester Square, W2