Waterloo Passage, NW6

Road in/near Kilburn

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.221.147.93 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Road · Kilburn · NW6 ·
JANUARY
1
2000


Waterloo Passage is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.



ADD A STORY TO WATERLOO PASSAGE
VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Kilburn

Kilburn is an area which straddles both sides of the Edgware Road (Kilburn High Road).

Kilburn High Road originated as an ancient trackway, part of a Celtic route between the settlements now known as Canterbury and St Albans. Under Roman rule, the route was paved. In Anglo-Saxon times the road became known as Watling Street.

Kilburn grew up on the banks of a stream which has been known variously as Cuneburna, Kelebourne and Cyebourne, which flows from Hampstead down through Hyde Park and into the River Thames. It is suggested the name means either Royal River or Cattle River ('Bourne' being an Anglo-Saxon word for 'river'). That river is known today as the Westbourne.

The name Kilburn was first recorded in 1134 as Cuneburna, referring to the priory which had been built on the site of the cell of a hermit known as Godwyn. Godwyn had built his hermitage by the Kilburn river during the reign of Henry I, and both his hermitage and the priory took their name from the river.

Kilburn Priory was a small community of nuns, probably Augustinian canonesses. It was founded in 1134 at the Kilburn river crossing on Watling Street (the modern-day junction of Kilburn High Road and Belsize Road). Kilburn Priory's position on Watling Street meant that it became a popular resting point for pilgrims heading for the shrines at St Albans and Willesden. The Priory was dissolved in 1536-37 by Henry VIII, and nothing remains of it today. The priory lands included a mansion and a hostium (a guesthouse), which may have been the origin of the Red Lion pub, thought to have been founded in 1444. Opposite, the Bell Inn was opened around 1600, on the site of the old mansion.

The fashion for taking 'medicinal waters' in the 18th century came to Kilburn when a well of chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) was discovered near the Bell Inn in 1714. In an attempt to compete with the nearby Hampstead Well, gardens and a 'great room' were opened to promote the well, and its waters were promoted in journals of the day as cure for 'stomach ailments'.

In the 19th century the wells declined, but the Kilburn Wells remained popular as a tea garden. The Bell was demolished and rebuilt in 1863. The Kilburn stretch of Watling Street, now called Edgware Road and Kilburn High Road, was gradually built up with inns and farm houses. Kilburn did not attract any significant building until around 1819 in the area near St John's Wood.

Much of the area was developed in the last decades of the 19th century by Solomon Barnett, who named many of the streets after places in the West Country (e.g. Torbay) or after popular poets of the day (e.g. Tennyson) in honour of his wife.

There are three railway stations on Kilburn High Road: Kilburn tube station (Jubilee line) at its northern end and a little to the south Brondesbury station (London Overground). Approximately a mile further south is Kilburn High Road station (also London Overground). The name of Ian Dury's first band, Kilburn and the High Roads, refers to this road, as does the Flogging Molly song, "Kilburn High Road" and the Shack song, "Kilburn High Road".

Kilburn tube station opened as Kilburn and Brondesbury on 24 November 1879, as part of the Metropolitan and St. John's Wood Railway run by the Metropolitan Railway. Following the merger of the Metropolitan Railway into London Transport in 1933, it then became part of the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo line on 20 November 1939, at which time the station was extensively rebuilt. The station was renamed to its current name on 25 September 1950. It was transferred to the Jubilee line on its opening, on 1 May 1979.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Bayswater Rivulet:   The Bayswater Rivulet was the original name for the Westbourne River
Beckford Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Beckford's Estate:   Beckfords, belonging to the family of the same name, consisted of 15 acres north of Mill Lane and west of Fortune Green Lane.
Brondesbury:   Brondesbury was originally "Brand’s manor", a small hamlet in Middlesex.
Cannon Stream:   The Cannon Stream was, before it was sent underground, a tributary of the Westbourne River.
Carlton Vale Infant School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 7.
Cedars:   A local West Hampstead builder, Thomas Potter, constructed Cedars in 1878.
Cholmley Lodge:   Cholmley Lodge, a two storeyed stuccoed house, was built in 1813.
Christ Church CofE Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Dorothy Gardner Centre:   Local authority nursery school (Nursery) which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 5.
Earlsfields:   Between Thorplands on the east and Shoot Up Hill on the west lay several fields called Earlsfields.
Emmanuel Church of England Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Flitcroft Estate:   Flitcroft was a 50 acre estate at Fortune Green and West End, named after its owner in the 18th century.
Fortune Green:   Fortune Green was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now Finchley Road) in the 1830s.
Fortune Green:   Fortune Green lies to the north of the ancient village of West End.
Gaumont State:   The Gaumont State Cinema is a Grade II listed Art Deco theatre. While it still exists, it is no longer a cinema.
Granville Plus Nursery School:   Local authority nursery school (Nursery) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 5.
Hackney College:   The Village Itinerancy Society, a Congregationalist college, was transformed into Hackney Theological Seminary.
Kilburn:   Kilburn is an area which straddles both sides of the Edgware Road (Kilburn High Road).
Kilburn Bridge Farm:   Kilburn Bridge Farm stood beside Watling Street until the late 1830s.
Kilburn Grange childrens centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Kilburn Grange Park:   Kilburn Grange Park is a 3.2 hectare open space adjacent to Kilburn High Road.
Kilburn Grange School:   Free schools (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
Kilburn High Road:   What was Watling Street in earlier times, became Edgware Road and finally Kilburn High Road.
Kilburn Park:   Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington.
Kilburn Wells:   Kilburn Wells. a medicinal spring, existed between 1714 and the 1860s.
Kingsgate Community Centre:   Kingsgate Community Association was set up in 1982 by a group of local people who wished to establish a community centre in what was then a derelict building.
Kingsgate Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Lauriston Lodge:   Lauriston Lodge, now the site of Dene Mansions, was a large house in West Hampstead.
Maygrove Peace Park:   On 27 April 1983, Camden Council opened Maygrove Peace Park and dedicated it as a reminder of the Council's commitment to peace.
National School:   A National School was established in West End during 1844.
New West End:   New West End was created in the 1840s on the Finchley Road.
North West Locality Hub Lead -Queen’s Park Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Oaklands Hall:   On the west side of West End Lane, Charles Spain bought 5 acres and between 1829 and 1838 built York Villa.
Potter's Iron Foundry:   In the nineteenth century, many West Hampstead people had jobs in Potter’s Iron Foundry.
Queen's Park:   Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
Salusbury Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St Augustine’s CofE High School:   Voluntary aided school (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
St Augustine’s Church of England High School:   St Augustine’s Church of England High School is a Voluntary Aided Church of England comprehensive school in the West London borough of Westminster, Kilburn.
St Eugene de Mazenod Roman Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
St Mary’s Kilburn Church of England Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St Mary’s RC Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
The Grange:   The Grange was a large mansion situated on Kilburn High Road until the turn of the twentieth century.
The Kilburn Park School Foundation:   Foundation school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 7 and 11.
The School of the Islamic Republic of Iran:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 6 and 16. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Thorplands:   Thorplands was an estate south of Mill Lane.
West Cottages, NW6:   Cottages in London NW6.
West End Green:   West End Green is situated on a corner of West End Lane, formerly the location of West End Fair.
West End House:   West End House, once in open countryside, became surrounded by railways.
West End Park:   West End Park was created from fields known as the 'Little Estate'.
West End Sidings Estate:   The West End Sidings Estate takes its name from the former West End railway sidings running along the Midland Railway.
West Hampstead Police Station:   The Metropolitam Police established itself in West Hampstead during the 1880s.
West Kilburn:   West Kilburn is the westernmost slice of London W9, centered around Fernhead Road.
Woodbine Cottage:   Woodbine Cottage was situated at the south-eastern corner of the Flitcroft estate.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Kilburn High Road (1880s):   This photo was taken on the corner of Kilburn High Road and Eresby Road, which has since disappeared.
Mill Lane, looking east (1900s):   Mill Lane is one of the major thoroughfares of West Hampstead.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Achilles Road, NW6 · Addison Court, NW6 · Agamemnon Road, NW6 · Ajax Road, NW6 · Albert Road, NW6 · Albion Mews, NW6 · Aldershot Road, NW6 · Aldred Road, NW6 · Algernon Road, NW6 · Alpha Place, NW6 · Ariel Road, NW6 · Ashmore Road, W9 · Asmara Road, NW2 · B505, NW6 · Barlow Road, NW6 · Berridge Mews, NW6 · Birchington Road, NW6 · Bradiston Road, W9 · Bransdale Close, NW6 · Brassey Road, NW6 · Bravington Road, W9 · Brondesbury Mews, NW6 · Brondesbury Road, NW6 · Brondesbury Villas, NW6 · Brooklands Court, NW6 · Broomsleigh Street, NW6 · Buckley Road, NW6 · Burrard Road, NW3 · Burrard Road, NW6 · Burton Road, NW6 · Callcott Road, NW6 · Cambridge Avenue, NW6 · Cambridge Court, NW6 · Cambridge Gardens, NW6 · Cambridge Road, NW6 · Canterbury Road, NW6 · Canterbury Terrace, NW6 · Canterbury Works, NW6 · Carlton Mews, NW6 · Carlton Vale, NW6 · Cathedral Walk, NW6 · Cavendish Close, NW6 · Cavendish Road, NW6 · Charteris Road, NW6 · Chichester Road, NW6 · Cholmley Gardens, NW6 · Claremont Road, W10 · Claremont Road, W9 · Clarence Road, NW6 · Colas Mews, NW6 · Cotleigh Road, NW6 · Coventry Close, NW6 · Croftway, NW3 · Croxley Road, W9 · Dart Street, W10 · Daynor House, NW6 · Denholme Road, W9 · Denmark Road, NW6 · Dennington Park Road, NW6 · Donaldson Road, NW6 · Dornfell Street, NW6 · Douglas Court, NW6 · Douglas Road, NW6 · Drakes Courtyard, NW6 · Dunster Gardens, NW6 · Dyne Road, NW6 · Dynham Road, NW6 · Esmond Road, NW6 · Essendine Mansions, W9 · Essendine Road, W9 · Exeter Parade, NW2 · Exeter Road, NW6 · Fordingley Road, W9 · Fortune Green Road, NW6 · Garlinge Road, NW2 · Gascony Avenue, NW6 · Gladstone Mews, NW6 · Gladys Road, NW6 · Glastonbury Street, NW6 · Glenbrook Road, NW6 · Glengall Road, NW6 · Goldsmith Place, NW6 · Gondar Gardens, NW6 · Gorefield Place, NW6 · Grange Place, NW6 · Grangeway, NW6 · Granville Road, NW6 · Greville Mews, NW6 · Greville Place, NW6 · Greville Place, W9 · Greville Road, NW6 · Hall Oak Walk, NW6 · Hansel Road, NW6 · Hartland Road, NW6 · Hazelmere Road, NW6 · Hemstal Road, NW6 · Hillfield Road, NW6 · Hilltop Road, NW6 · Holmdale Road, NW6 · Honiton Road, NW6 · Ingham Road, NW3 · Ingham Road, NW6 · Inglewood Road, NW6 · Iverson Road, NW6 · Kenilworth Road, NW6 · Kilburn Bridge, NW6 · Kilburn High Road, NW6 · Kilburn Lane, NW6 · Kilburn Lane, W9 · Kilburn Park Road, NW6 · Kilburn Place, NW6 · Kilburn Priory, NW6 · Kilburn Priory, NW8 · Kilburn Square, NW6 · Kilburn Vale, NW6 · Kingdon Road, NW6 · Kings Gardens, NW6 · Kingscroft Road, NW2 · Kingsgate Place, NW6 · Kingsgate Road, NW6 · Kingsley Road, NW6 · Kylemore Road, NW6 · Lancefield Street, W10 · Landau House, NW2 · Liddell Road, NW6 · Linburn House, NW6 · Lincoln Mews, NW6 · Linstead Street, NW6 · Lonsdale Road, NW6 · Loveridge Mews, NW6 · Loveridge Road, NW6 · Lowfield Road, NW6 · Lynton Road, NW6 · Macroom Road, W9 · Mallard Close, NW6 · Malvern Mews, NW6 · Malvern Mews, W9 · Malvern Place, NW6 · Malvern Road, NW6 · Manor Mews, NW6 · Marban Road, W9 · Masefield House, NW6 · Maygrove Road, NW6 · Mazenod Avenue, NW6 · Medley Road, NW6 · Menelik Road, NW2 · Messina Avenue, NW6 · Mill Lane, NW6 · Minster Road, NW2 · Morshead Road, W9 · Mortimer Place, NW6 · Mozart Street, W10 · Mutrix Road, NW6 · Narcissus Road, NW6 · Nelson Close, NW6 · Netherwood Street, NW6 · Neville Close, NW6 · Neville Road, NW6 · Norman Terrace, NW6 · Orestes Mews, NW6 · Oxford Road, NW6 · Palmerston Road, NW6 · Pandora Road, NW6 · Parsifal Road, NW3 · Parsifal Road, NW6 · Peel Precinct, NW6 · Pentland Road, NW6 · Plaza Parade, NW6 · Plympton Avenue, NW6 · Plympton Road, NW6 · Portnall Road, W9 · Princess Road, NW6 · Priory Park Road, NW6 · Quex Mews, NW6 · Quex Road, NW6 · Ravenshaw Street, NW6 · Regents Plaza, NW6 · Rose Joan Mews, NW6 · Rosedene, NW6 · Rowntree Close, NW6 · Rudolph Road, NW6 · Rupert Road, NW6 · Saint Cuthberts Road, NW2 · Salmon Mews, NW6 · Saltram Crescent, W9 · Saltram Cresent, W9 · Salusbury Road, NW6 · Sarre Road, NW2 · Sherriff Road, NW6 · Smyrna Road, NW6 · Solent Road, NW6 · Somali Road, NW2 · Springfield Lane, NW6 · Springfield Walk, NW6 · St Cuthbert?s Road, NW2 · St Julians Road, NW6 · Stafford Close, NW6 · Stafford Road, NW6 · Streatley Road, NW6 · Stuart Road, NW6 · Sumatra Road, NW6 · Swiss Terrace, NW6 · Tennyson Road, NW6 · The Arches, NW6 · The Mansions, NW6 · The Terrace, NW6 · Torbay Road, NW6 · Ulysses Place, E20 · Ulysses Road, NW6 · Victoria Mews, NW6 · Victoria Road, NW6 · Waterloo Passage, NW6 · Wayne Kirkum Way, NW6 · Webheath, NW6 · Weech Road, NW6 · Welbeck Mansions, NW6 · Wells Court, NW6 · West Cottages, NW6 · Westbere Road, NW2 · Willesden Court, S43 · William Dunbar House, NW6 · William Saville House, NW6 · Woodville Road, NW6 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Kilburn Park
Facebook Page
West Hampstead
Facebook Page
Queen’s Park
Facebook Page
Kilburn
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.