This image shows the junction of Adair Road and Southam Street on a very wet day in 1932. The site was the future position of Southam House, built after the Second World War.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
|VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
| ||Upload an image|
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
| ||Add new information to this location|
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
Kensal New Town was built between the Grand Central Canal (which opened in 1801) and the Great Western Railway line (opening in 1837) in the 1840s.
Single-storey cottages with gardens suitable for drying clothes were the first buildings and Kensal Road, Middle Row, West Row, East Row and Southern Row all appeared between 1841 and 1851. The rows of cottages quickly degenerated into a slum, mainly due to overcrowding, industrialisation and pollution.
The area was dominated by the Western Gas Company and Kensal Cemetery, which provided work but did little to improve the environment. Women were primarily involved in laundry work giving the area its nickname of ‘Soapsuds Island’.
The area was isolated from the rest of London at a time when Portobello Lane (now Portobello Road) was a muddy track sometimes impassable in bad weather.
Cut off from the municipal authorities it was left to charities to attempt to alleviate the social and health problems.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the cottage laundry industry began to be replaced by larger mechanized concerns.
In 1902 Charles Booth described it as, “Just as full of children and poverty as was the old woman’s dwelling in the nursery rhyme.” By this date the area had been transferred to the newly formed Royal Borough of Kensington. When the Piggeries and Potteries in Notting Dale were finally cleared in the early 20th century most of the displaced residents moved north into Golborne ward and Kensal.
By 1923 in the Southam Street area 140 houses contained some 2500 inhabitants. A series of evocative photographs by Roger Mayne in the 1950s showed that little had changed. It was only from the 1960s that the overcrowded and dilapidated terraces were cleared and replaced by social housing including Goldfinger’s Trellick Tower.
A seminal gig
|LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
: Once upon a time in 1979, Joy Division, OMD and A Certain Ratio were on the same bill - and all for £1.50.Acklam Hall
: Acklam Hall became a community centre for the post-Westway Acklam RoadAcklam Road Adventure Playground
: Acklam Road Adventure Playground was created in the 1960s.Cabaret Voltaire in Acklam Road
: Cabaret Voltaire played one of their classic early gigs under the flyover in Acklam Road.Chamberlayne Farm
: Chamberlain (Wood) Farm developed out of the manor of Chambers, named after Richard de Camera, an early 13th century cleric.Clayton Arms
: A pub which was situated halfway down West Row in Kensal Town.Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance
: Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance is the traditional starting point for the Notting Hill Carnival.
I Was Lord Kitchener’s Valet
: I Was Lord Kitchener’s Valet was a clothing boutique which achieved fame in 1960s "Swinging London" by promoting antique military uniforms as fashion items.Jack of Newbury
: The Jack of Newbury stood at the corner of East Row and Kensal Road until it was bombed on 2 October 1940.Kensal Town
: Soapsuds IslandLads of the Village
: One of the signature public houses along Kensal Road.Middle Row Bus Garage
: Middle Row Bus Garage was situated on the corner of Conlan Street and Middle Row, W10.Middle Row School
: Middle Row School was established in the late 19th century to provide education to the children of Kensal New Town.North Kensington
: North Kensington lies either side of Ladbroke Grove, W10.Portobello Arms
: The Portobello Arms was a former pub in Kensal Town, established in 1842.Portobello Farm
: Portobello Farm House was approached along Turnpike Lane, sometimes referred to as Green’s Lane, a track leading from Kensington Gravel Pits towards a wooden bridge over the canal.Queen’s Park Library
: Queen’s Park Library was built to improve the minds of the new Queen’s Park Estate residents.Scott Hatton lived here
: Scott Hatton lived here between 1900 and 2017St. Joseph's Home
: St Joseph's dominated a part of Portobello Road up until the 1980s.The Bedford family at 3 Acklam Road
: From the 19th century up until 1965, number 3 Acklam Road, near the Portobello Road junction, was occupied by the Bedford family. The Eagle
: The Eagle, on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Telford Road.The Earl Derby
: The Earl Derby stood on the corner of Southern Row and Bosworth Road.The Flora
: The Flora is situated on Harrow Road, W10.The Foresters
: A lost pub of London W10The Mitre
: The Mitre was situated at 62 Golborne Road.The Prince of Wales (Chilled Eskimo)
: A pub in Kensal TownWedlake Street Baths
: In a time when most had somewhere to live but few had somewhere to wash at home, public baths were the place to go...Western Arms
: The Western Arms was a pub situated on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Kensal Road.Acklam Road protests
: Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the WestwayAdair Road, W10
: Adair Road junction with Appleford Road, March 1964Adair Road, W10
: Adair Road is a street on the Kensal Town/North Kensington borders.Corner of Caird Street and Lancefield Street (1910)
: 2015Golborne Road bridge (1960s)
: We think that this photo dates from the late 1960s, according to fashions and car registrations.Graffiti along Acklam Road (1970s)
: Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the WestwayHarrow Road (1920s)
: Harrow Road in the 1920s, looking south east towards the Prince of Wales pub and the Emmanuel Church spire.Kids in Acklam Road
: Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the WestwayLadbroke Grove looking north (1950)
: Ladbroke Grove on the corner of St Charles Sqaure taken outside the Eagle
public house, looking north, just prior to the outbreak of the Second World War.St Charles Square ready for redevelopment (1951)
: Photographed in 1951, the corner of St Charles Square and Ladbroke Grove looking northwest just after the Second World War.Under westway (1977)
: Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the WestwayWestern Dwellings from below (1960s)
: This photo was taken from the bottom of Southern Row steps.William Miller's Yard
: William Miller's Yard stood in Chapel Place, West Row.
Acklam Road, W10
|NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
· Adair Road, W10
· Adair Tower, W10
· Adela Street, W10
· Alderson Street, W10
· Alperton Street, W10
· Appleford House, W10
· Appleford Road, W10
· Barfett Street, W10
· Bevington Road, W10
· Bonchurch Road, W10
· Bosworth Road, W10
· Briar Walk, W10
· Caird Street, W10
· Cambridge Gardens, W10
· Conlan Street, W10
· Coomassie Road, W9
· Droop Street, W10
· East Row, W10
· Edenham Way, W10
· Elkstone Road, W10
· Embrook Street, W10
· Enbrook Street, W10
· Faraday Road, W10
· Farrant Street, W10
· Fermoy Road, W9
· First Avenue, W10
· Fourth Avenue, W10
· Galton Street, W10
· Galton Street, W10
· Golborne Gardens, W10
· Golborne Mews, W10
· Golborne Road, W10
· Harrow Road, W10
· Hawthorn Walk, W10
· Hazlewood Crescent, W10
· Hazlewood Tower, W10
· Heather Walk, W10
· Heather Walk, W10
· Hormead Road, W9
· Huxley Street, W10
· James Collins Close, W9
· Kensal Road, W10
· Ladbroke Grove, W10
· Lancefield Street, W10
· Lavie Mews, W10
· Lionel Mews, W10
· Manchester Drive, W10
· Mcgregor Road, W11
· Middle Row, W10
· Morgan Road, W10
· Munro Mews, W10
· Orchard Close, W10
· Raddington Road, W10
· Ronan Walk, W10
· Saint Lawrence Terrace, W10
· Second Avenue, W10
· Southam Street, W10
· Southern Row, W10
· St Charles Place, W10
· St Ervans Road, W10
· St Lawrence Terrace, W10
· Sycamore Walk, W10
· Tavistock Crescent, W11
· Tavistock Road, W11
· Telford Road, W10
· The Arches, W10
· Trellick Tower
· Verdi Crescent, W10
· Wedlake Street, W10
· West Row, W10
· Wheatstone Road, W10
· Wornington Road, W10
|USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES|
- If you wish to link to this article in another article, copy the text in blue: [[34618|Adair Road junction with Southam Street (1932)]] - you can change the italic text to suit your text
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *L1452770443L* for a left-aligned image
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *R1452770443R* for a right-aligned image