The Mitre

Pub/bar/cafe in North Kensington, existed between 1870 and 1972

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  EDIT  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Pub/bar/cafe · North Kensington · W10 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
19
2016
Click to enlarge image.
The Mitre (1969)

The Mitre was situated at 62 Golborne Road.

The pub closed c.1972 after it burnt down.

After The Mitre was demolished, it eventually became home to Cafe O’Porto, one of Golborne’s favourite coffee shops.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

VIEW THE NORTH KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Go to North Kensington

North Kensington

North Kensington lies either side of Ladbroke Grove, W10.

North Kensington was rural until the 19th century when it was developed as an suburb with quite large homes. By the 1880s, too many houses had been built for the upper-middle class towards whom the area was aimed. Large houses were divided into low cost flats which often degenerated into slums, as documented in the photographs of Roger Mayne.

During the 1980s, the area started to be gentrified although areas in the north west of the district at Ladbroke Grove and Westbourne Park remain deprived and run down to this day.

Waves of immigrants have arrived for at least a century including, but certainly not limited to, the Spanish, the Irish, the Jews, the West Indians, the Portuguese, the Moroccans and many from the Horn of Africa and Eastern Europe. This constant renewal of the population makes the area one of the most cosmopolitan in London.

The Notting Hill carnival was first staged in 1964 as a way for the local Afro-Caribbean communities to celebrate their own cultures and traditions. After some rough times in the 1970s and 1980s when it became associated with social protest, violence and huge controversy over policing tactics, this is now Europe’s largest carnival/festival event and a major event in the London calendar. It is staged every August over the Bank holiday weekend.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
A seminal gig:   Once upon a time in 1979, Joy Division, OMD and A Certain Ratio were on the same bill - and all for £1.50.
Acklam Hall:   Acklam Hall became a community centre for the post-Westway Acklam Road
Acklam Road Adventure Playground:   Acklam Road Adventure Playground was created in the 1960s.
Admiral Blake (The Cowshed):   The Admiral Blake was situated at the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Barlby Road.
Barlby Road Primary School:   Barlby Road Primary School has long served the children of North Kensington.
Basing Street (SARM) Studios:   SARM Studios is a recording studio, established by Chris Blackwell, the founder of Island Records.
Bassett House School:   Bassett House School is a preparatory school for children aged 3 to 11 years old based in North Kensington.
Cabaret Voltaire in Acklam Road:   Cabaret Voltaire played one of their classic early gigs under the flyover in Acklam Road.
Carmelite Monastery of The Most Holy Trinity:   Convent in North Kensington
Color Printing Works:   Color (sic) Printing Works featured on the 1900 map of North Kensington.
Dissenters’ Chapel:   The Dissenters’ Chapel is a redundant chapel in Kensal Green Cemetery, recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.
Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance:   Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance is the traditional starting point for the Notting Hill Carnival.
Gas Light and Coke Company:   The gasometers of the Gas Light and Coke company dominated North Kensington until demolition in the late 20th century.
Help us to build a better W10!:   We are after your memories!
I Was Lord Kitchener’s Valet:   I Was Lord Kitchener’s Valet was a clothing boutique which achieved fame in 1960s "Swinging London" by promoting antique military uniforms as fashion items.
Jack of Newbury:   The Jack of Newbury stood at the corner of East Row and Kensal Road until it was bombed on 2 October 1940.
Kensal Town:   Soapsuds Island
Ladbroke Grove:   Ladbroke Grove is a road in the North Kensington/Notting Hill. Running from Notting Hill itself in the south to Kensal Green in the north, it straddles the W10 and W11 postal districts.
Lads of the Village:   One of the signature public houses along Kensal Road.
Middle Row Bus Garage:   Middle Row Bus Garage was situated on the corner of Conlan Street and Middle Row, W10.
Middle Row School:   Middle Row School was established in the late 19th century to provide education to the children of Kensal New Town.
North Kensington:   North Kensington lies either side of Ladbroke Grove, W10.
Notting Hill Barn Farm:   Notting Barns Farm was one of two farms in the North Kensington area.
Portobello Arms:   The Portobello Arms was a former pub in Kensal Town, established in 1842.
Portobello Farm:   Portobello Farm House was approached along Turnpike Lane, sometimes referred to as Green’s Lane, a track leading from Kensington Gravel Pits towards a wooden bridge over the canal.
Princess Louise Hospital:   The Princess Louise Hospital for Children was opened by King George V and Queen Mary in 1928. It had 42 beds, an Out-Patients Department and Dispensary for Sick Women.
Queen Victoria/Narrow Boat:   The 'Vic' was the first building on the right when crossing the canal going north along Ladbroke Grove.
Queen’s Park Library:   Queen’s Park Library was built to improve the minds of the new Queen’s Park Estate residents.
Scott Hatton lived here:   Scott Hatton lived here between 1900 and 2017
Sion Manning Roman Catholic Girls’ School:   Sion Manning Roman Catholic Girls’ School is in St Charles Square.
St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College:   St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College is a Roman Catholic sixth form college.
St Charles Hospital:   The St Marylebone workhouse infirmary was opened in 1881 on Rackham Street, North Kensington and received a congratulatory letter from Florence Nightingale.
St Martins Mission:   Saint Martin's Mission was originally known as Rackham Hall as it was situated on Rackham Street.
St Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubbs:   St Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubbs - two spellings missing from the modern map.
St. Joseph's Home:   St Joseph's dominated a part of Portobello Road up until the 1980s.
The Apollo:   The Apollo pub was located at 18 All Saints Road, on the southeast corner of the Lancaster Road junction.
The Bedford family at 3 Acklam Road:   From the 19th century up until 1965, number 3 Acklam Road, near the Portobello Road junction, was occupied by the Bedford family.
The Eagle:   The Eagle, on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Telford Road.
The Earl Derby:   The Earl Derby stood on the corner of Southern Row and Bosworth Road.
The Flora:   The Flora is situated on Harrow Road, W10.
The Foresters:   A lost pub of London W10
The Prince of Wales (Chilled Eskimo):   A pub in Kensal Town
Wedlake Street Baths:   In a time when most had somewhere to live but few had somewhere to wash at home, public baths were the place to go...


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Acklam Road protests:   Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Adair Road junction with Southam Street (1932):   A wet day in London W10.
Adair Road, W10:   Adair Road junction with Appleford Road, March 1964
Adair Road, W10:   Adair Road is a street on the Kensal Town/North Kensington borders.
Corner of Rackham Street, Ladbroke Grove (1950):   The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
Exmoor Street (1950):   Photographed just after the Second World War, looking north along Exmoor Street.
Golborne Road bridge (1960s):   We think that this photo dates from the late 1960s, according to fashions and car registrations.
Graffiti along Acklam Road (1970s):   Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Harrow Road (1920s):   Harrow Road in the 1920s, looking south east towards the Prince of Wales pub and the Emmanuel Church spire.
Kids in Acklam Road:   Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Ladbroke Grove looking north (1900):   This early 1900s image was taken just south of the junction of Ladbroke Grove and Treverton Street.
Ladbroke Grove looking north (1950):   Ladbroke Grove on the corner of St Charles Sqaure taken outside the Eagle public house, looking north, just prior to the outbreak of the Second World War.
Ladbroke Grove railway bridge:   Looking north over Bartle Bridge in the 1950s
Political meeting (1920s):   Meeting in front of the Junction Arms situated where Tavistock Road, Crescent and Basing Road met.
Rackham Street, eastern end (1950):   The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
Rackham Street, western end (1950):   A bombed-out Rackham Street, looking down from the junction with Exmoor Street.
St Charles Square after bombing (1950):   A corner of St Charles Square looking north, just after the Second World War
St Charles Square ready for redevelopment (1951):   Photographed in 1951, the corner of St Charles Square and Ladbroke Grove looking northwest just after the Second World War.
St Charles’ Square Training College (1908):   St Charles’ Square Training College/Carmelite Convent.
St Quintin Park Cricket Ground (1890s):   Before the turn of the 20th century, west of present day North Kensington lay fields - the future Barlby Road was the site of the St Quintin Park Cricket Ground.
The Victoria (1920s):   The Victoria later became the Narrow Boat before it ’conveniently burned down’.
Under westway (1977):   Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
William Miller's Yard:   William Miller's Yard stood in Chapel Place, West Row.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Acklam Road, W10 · Adair Road, W10 · Adair Tower, W10 · Adela Street, W10 · Admiral Mews, W10 · Alba Place, W11 · Alderson Street, W10 · All Saints Road, W11 · Alperton Street, W10 · Appleford House, W10 · Appleford Road, W10 · Archway Close, W10 · Ashburn Gardens, SW7 · Astwood Mews, SW7 · Balliol Road, W10 · Barlby Gardens, W10 · Barlby Road, W10 · Basing Street, W11 · Bassett Road, W10 · Bevington Road, W10 · Bonchurch Road, W10 · Bosworth Road, W10 · Bracewell Road, W10 · Branstone Street, W10 · Brechin Place, SW7 · Briar Walk, W10 · Bruce Close, W10 · Calverley Street, W10 · Cambridge Gardens, W10 · Canal Close, W10 · Canal Way, W10 · Chesterton Road, W10 · Conlan Street, W10 · Coomassie Road, W9 · Cornwall Gardens, SW7 · Dalgarno Gardens, W10 · East Row, W10 · Edenham Way, W10 · Elkstone Road, W10 · Elvaston Place, SW7 · Emperors Gate, SW7 · Exmoor Street, W10 · Faraday Road, W10 · Fermoy Road, W9 · Finstock Road, W10 · First Avenue, W10 · Gloucester Arcade, SW7 · Golborne Gardens, W10 · Golborne Mews, W10 · Golborne Road, W10 · Golden Mews, W11 · Grenville Place, SW7 · Harrow Road, W10 · Hawthorn Walk, W10 · Hazlewood Crescent, W10 · Hazlewood Tower, W10 · Heather Walk, W10 · Heather Walk, W10 · Hewer Street, W10 · Highlever Road, W10 · Hormead Road, W9 · Ivebury Court, W10 · James Collins Close, W9 · Kelfield Mews, W10 · Kensal Road, W10 · Kingsbridge Road, W10 · Kynance Mews, SW7 · Ladbroke Grove, W10 · Lavie Mews, W10 · Lionel Mews, W10 · Malton Mews, W10 · Malton Road, W10 · Manchester Drive, W10 · Manchester Road, W10 · Manson Mews, SW7 · Matthew Close, W10 · Maxilla Walk, W10 · Mcgregor Road, W11 · Methwold Road, W10 · Middle Row, W10 · Mitre Way, W10 · Morgan Road, W10 · Munro Mews, W10 · North Pole Road, W10 · Oakworth Road, W10 · Orchard Close, W10 · Osten Mews, SW7 · Oxford Gardens, W10 · Pamber Street, W10 · Pangbourne Avenue, W10 · Pelham Place, SW7 · Petersham Mews, SW7 · Porlock Street, W10 · Queens Gate Gardens, SW7 · Queens Gate, SW7 · Rackham Street, W10 · Raddington Road, W10 · Raymede Street, W10 · Rosary Gardens, SW7 · Saint Lawrence Terrace, W10 · Salters Road, W10 · Scampston Mews, W10 · Silchester Street, W10 · Silvester Mews, W11 · South Terrace, SW7 · Southam Street, W10 · Southern Row, W10 · St Charles Place, W10 · St Charles Square, W10 · St Ervans Road, W10 · St Helens Gardens, W10 · St Johns Terrace, W10 · St Lawrence Terrace, W10 · St Luke’s Mews, W11 · St Marks Road, W10 · St Quintin Avenue, W10 · St Quintin Gardens, W10 · Sunbeam Crescent, W10 · Sutton Way, W10 · Tavistock Crescent, W11 · Tavistock Road, W11 · Telford Road, W10 · The Arches, W10 · Thorpe Close, W10 · Thurloe Square, SW7 · Trellick Tower · Treverton Street, W10 · Walmer Road, W10 · Wedlake Street, W10 · Westway, W11 · Wetherby Place, SW7 · Wheatstone Road, W10 · Wornington Road, W10 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: St. Charles’s Ward » The
RBKC Library Time Machine
Blog from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Library
Old Notting Hill/North Ken History
Facebook group, covering the history of W10 and W11.
North Kensington Histories
Recollections of people from North Kensington, London
Westbourne Park
Facebook Page
Queen’s Park
Facebook Page
Latimer Road
Facebook Page
Ladbroke Grove
Facebook Page
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Born in W10
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website

Maps


Inner West London (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
1930s map covering East Acton, Holland Park, Kensington, Notting Hill, Olympia, Shepherds Bush and Westbourne Park,
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.