Corner of Caird Street and Lancefield Street (1910)

Image dated 1910

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Photo/Image · Queens Park Estate · W10 · Contributed by The Underground Map
FEBRUARY
1
2016
Click to enlarge image.
The corner of Caird Street with Lancefield Street.

The corner of Caird Street with Lancefield Street.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

VIEW THE QUEENS PARK ESTATE AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE QUEENS PARK ESTATE AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE QUEENS PARK ESTATE AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE QUEENS PARK ESTATE AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE QUEENS PARK ESTATE AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.
OTHER CAIRD STREET, W10 ENTRIES

Caird Street, W10
(1875-now)

Corner of Caird Street and Lancefield Street (1910)
(1910)

Go to Caird Street, W10

Caird Street, W10

Caird Street is the ’C’ street on the Queen’s Park Estate

Built between 1874 and 1882 by the Artisans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company, originally there were more than 2000 homes arranged along First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth avenues.

Building took place in several roads at the same time. Houses were dated 1873 and 1874 on the east side and 1876 on the west side of Sixth Avenue, 1880 in Fifth Avenue, 1875 in Caird Street at the east end of the estate, and 1876 in Oliphant Street at the far end and in a nearby shopping parade in Kilburn Lane.

Queen’s Park, like the company’s other four residential parks in London, was the result of a well supported effort to improve working-class conditions. It came to be seen as a success, both in encouraging the company to buy land for the Noel Park estate in Tottenham and in comparison with the squalor of much canalside housing, including Kensal New Town.

Financial difficulties in 1877 brought delays, rent increases, and building on the intended open space, but renewed progress had led to the completion of 1571 houses by 1882, when a further 449 were under construction. The whole area west of First Avenue had been built up by 1886. All 2200 houses at Queen’s Park were occupied in 1887, when the rents were much lower than those nearby.

In 1899 the estate was ’carefully sustained in respectability’, there was a waiting list for tenancies, and rents were never in arrears. Tenants were church or chapel goers and in regular work, as artisans, clerks, policemen, or railwaymen. Only a fifth of the inabitants lived in poverty, compared with more than 55 per cent in Kensal New Town, and those that did so may have lived outside the company’s estate, around Herries Street.

"C Street", like all of the others on the Queen’s Park Estate were all renamed in 1912 but kept the initial letter, becoming Caird Street.

A combination of bomb damage and council rebuilding schemes in the 1970s reduced the size of the estate.



LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Beethoven Street School:   Beethoven Street School was opened in 1881 to serve the community of the newly-built Queen's Park Estate.
Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance:   Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance is the traditional starting point for the Notting Hill Carnival.
Jack of Newbury:   The Jack of Newbury stood at the corner of East Row and Kensal Road until it was bombed on 2 October 1940.
Kensal House:   There are two Kensal Houses in London W10 - this was the original
Kensal Town:   Soapsuds Island
Kilburn Lane Farm:   A farm existed in Kilburn Lane until the 1860s, by which time it had been disrupted by the railway line.
Portobello Arms:   The Portobello Arms was a former pub in Kensal Town, established in 1842.
Queens Park Estate:   The part of Queen's Park which is in the W10 postcode and City of Westminster, is known as the Queens Park Estate.
Queen’s Park Library:   Queen’s Park Library was built to improve the minds of the new Queen’s Park Estate residents.
Saint John the Evangelist:   Saint John’s Church stands on the busy crossroads of Harrow Road, Kilburn Lane and Ladbroke Grove and on the boundaries of the London Boroughs of Brent, Kensington and the City of Westminster, in which it stands.
Scott Hatton lived here:   Scott Hatton lived here between 1900 and 2017
The Earl Derby:   The Earl Derby stood on the corner of Southern Row and Bosworth Road.
Wedlake Street Baths:   In a time when most had somewhere to live but few had somewhere to wash at home, public baths were the place to go...


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Adair Road junction with Southam Street (1932):   A wet day in London W10.
Adair Road, W10:   Adair Road junction with Appleford Road, March 1964
Adair Road, W10:   Adair Road is a street on the Kensal Town/North Kensington borders.
Harrow Road (1920s):   Harrow Road in the 1920s, looking south east towards the Prince of Wales pub and the Emmanuel Church spire.
Hudson's the chemist (1906):   Hudson's, a chemist shop, stood on the corner of Ilbert Street and Third Avenue in the Queen's Park estate.
Lothrop Street (1907):   2015


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Adair Road, W10 · Adair Tower, W10 · Alderson Street, W10 · Allington Road, W10 · Alperton Street, W10 · Appleford House, W10 · Appleford Road, W10 · Ashmore Road, W9 · Banister Road, W10 · Barfett Street, W10 · Beethoven Street, W10 · Bosworth Road, W10 · Bravington Road, W9 · Briar Walk, W10 · Bruckner Street, W10 · Brunel Mews, W10 · Caird Street, W10 · Conlan Street, W10 · Coomassie Road, W9 · Dart Street, W10 · Dowland Street, W10 · Drayford Close, W9 · Droop Street, W10 · East Row, W10 · Embrook Street, W10 · Enbrook Street, W10 · Farrant Street, W10 · Fermoy Road, W9 · Fifth Avenue, W10 · First Avenue, W10 · Fourth Avenue, W10 · Galton Street, W10 · Galton Street, W10 · Golborne Gardens, W10 · Harrow Road, W10 · Hawthorn Walk, W10 · Hazlewood Crescent, W10 · Hazlewood Tower, W10 · Heather Walk, W10 · Heather Walk, W10 · Herries Street, W10 · Hormead Road, W9 · Huxley Street, W10 · Ilbert Street, W10 · James Collins Close, W9 · Kensal Road, W10 · Kilburn Lane, NW6 · Kilburn Lane, W10 · Kilburn Lane, W9 · Kilravock Street, W10 · Lancefield Street, W10 · Lapford Close, W9 · Lothrop Street, W10 · Manchester Drive, W10 · Maple Walk, W10 · Marban Road, W9 · Marne Street, W10 · Mozart Street, W10 · Nutbourne Street, W10 · Oliphant Street, W10 · Onslow Close, W10 · Park Mews, W10 · Parry Road, W10 · Peach Road, W10 · Portnall Road, W9 · Riverton Close, W9 · Second Avenue, W10 · Selby Square, W10 · Selby Square, W10 · Severn Avenue, W10 · Sixth Avenue, W10 · Southam Street, W10 · Symphony Mews, W10 · The Arches, W10 · The Quadrant, W10 · Third Avenue, W10 · Tolhurst Drive, W10 · Trellick Tower · Wedlake Street, W10 · William Saville House, NW6 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Ladbroke Grove
Facebook Page
Queen’s Park
Facebook Page
Westbourne Park
Facebook Page
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Born in W10
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Inner West London (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
1930s map covering East Acton, Holland Park, Kensington, Notting Hill, Olympia, Shepherds Bush and Westbourne Park,
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.