Holland Park is a district, an underground station (and indeed a park) in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.Holland Park
Addison Crescent consists of north and south sections.
Both parts run from Holland Park
to Addison Road
, but the south part forms the link in the red route one-way system. This part is an extremely busy traffic route. The road itself is wide and tree-lined.
The street was named after Joseph Addison who lived at Holland House. He was an essayist and poet of the late 17th Century who’s main claim to fame now is as the founder of the Spectator.
The houses are mainly detached and semi-detached villas, 2 or 3 storeys with basements. Most of the house have painted facades at ground floor level and exposed brick at upper floor levels. The houses have attractive front gardens.
Nos. 1-13 Addison Crescent were built by James Hall over a period of several years from 1857. James Hall built about 120 houses in the estate in the 1850s. He also built extensively in the Chepstow Villas and Pembridge Place area.
The plots in Addison Crescent had 60-foot wide frontages and the buildings were large detached houses of two or three storeys with basements. They are similar in size to Hall’s houses in Addison Road
, but of a more modern design. The central portico entrance door is narrower to make room for large canted bay windows on either side. In place of Georgian balustrades topping the facades, the houses have a more modern construction with the roof slope overhanging the eaves. the houses are brick-faced with stucco finishes at basement level and around the windows. (No. 1 Addison Crescent was later demolished.)
has a reputation as an affluent and fashionable area, known for attractive large Victorian townhouses, and high-class shopping and restaurants.
The district was rural until the 19th century. Most of it was formerly the grounds of a Jacobean mansion called Holland House. In the later decades of that century the owners of the house sold off the more outlying parts of its grounds for residential development, and the district which evolved took its name from the house. It also included some small areas around the fringes which had never been part of the grounds of Holland House, notably the Phillimore Estate and the Campden Hill
Square area. In the late 19th century a number of notable artists (including Frederic Leighton, P.R.A. and Val Prinsep) and art collectors lived in the area. The group were collectively known as ’The Holland Park
Circle’. Holland Park
was in most part very comfortably upper middle class when originally developed and in recent decades has gone further upmarket.
Of the 19th-century residential developments of the area, one of the most architecturally interesting is The Royal Crescent
designed in 1839. Clearly inspired by its older namesake in Bath, it differs from the Bath crescent in that it is not a true crescent at all but two quadrant terraces each terminated by a circular bow in the Regency style which rises as a tower, a feature which would not have been found in the earlier classically inspired architecture of the 18th century which the design of the crescent seeks to emulate. The design of the Royal Crescent
by the planner Robert Cantwell in two halves was dictated by the location of the newly fashionable underground sewers rather than any consideration for architectural aesthetics.
is now one of the most expensive residential districts in London.
station, on the Central London Railway, opened on 30 July 1900. The station building was refurbished in the 1990s.