Luxurious sewers

Article, Notting Hill

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Article · Notting Hill · W11 · Contributed by The Underground Map
FEBRUARY
1
2016


Although the march of new housing was approaching North Kensington by the 1820s, there was a serious practical impediment to development. The upper classes no longer expected to throw their human and household waste out of the windows, or into local streams. Closed sewers were an essential requirement for a successful building enterprise, but they were expensive to create.

However, a piece of good fortune came along. In 1836 the Birmingham Bristol and Thames Junction Railway was set up to provide a railway line between Willesden and the Thames. Railways were the “internet bubble” of the age and started up and went bust in rapid succession. The proposed route ran just to the west of the Norland Estate and through the Holland Estate near Addison Road. This happened to be the route of Counter’s Creek, a stream which served as the local sewer and rubbish dump. The Commissioners of Sewers insisted the railway company had to divert the stream and build a covered sewer further east, and Lord Holland refused to sell them the land they needed unless they agreed to it.

The company had to submit. The new sewer was built in 1838-9 along the line of the future St Ann’s Road, St Ann’s Villas and the Royal Crescent on the Norland Estate and down through the centre of the Holland Estate.

For Lord Holland and the Vulliamy family, the infrastructure for future development was provided free of charge. This would greatly increase the ability to develop the area, because the developers would be spared the cost of putting in the sewers.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

VIEW THE NOTTING HILL AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING HILL AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING HILL AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING HILL AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING HILL AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.
OTHER ST ANNS VILLAS, W11 ENTRIES

Luxurious sewers
(1836-1840)

St Anns Villas, W11
(1843-now)

Go to St Anns Villas, W11

St Anns Villas, W11

St Ann’s Villas, leading into Royal Crescent, is a pleasant tree-lined if busy road.

There are some unusual 3-storey detached houses, constructed in brown brick, of Victorian Gothic design.

In the section of the street between Royal Crescent and Queensdale Road, Charles Stewart put up terraces on either side of the street in 1843: Nos. 2-10 (even) on the east side and Nos. 1-9 (odd) on the west side. Each terrace contained five houses The houses were four storeys high and were built in the same style as Royal Crescent.

In 1845 Stewart began work on the next section, between Queensdale Road and St James’s Gardens. Each side contained six pairs of houses: Nos. 11-33 on the west and Nos. 12-34 on the east side of the road.

The style was Tudor-Gothic. Red and blue bricks were used with Bath stone for the quoins and window mullions.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Acklam Road Adventure Playground:   Acklam Road Adventure Playground was created in the 1960s.
All Saints Church:   All Saints church was designed by the Victorian Gothic revival pioneer William White, who was also a mountaineer, Swedish gymnastics enthusiast and anti-shaving campaigner.
Basing Street (SARM) Studios:   SARM Studios is a recording studio, established by Chris Blackwell, the founder of Island Records.
Earl of Zetland:   A pub in the Potteries
Horbury Chapel (Kensington Temple):   In September 1849, the Horbury Chapel, Notting Hill was officially opened.
Kenilworth Castle:   The Kenilworth Castle was a post-war pub in Notting Dale.
Kensington Hippodrome:   The Kensington Hippodrome was a racecourse built in Notting Hill, London, in 1837, by entrepreneur John Whyte.
Kensington Park Hotel:   The KPH is a landmark pub on Ladbroke Grove.
Ladbroke Grove:   Ladbroke Grove is a road in the North Kensington/Notting Hill. Running from Notting Hill itself in the south to Kensal Green in the north, it straddles the W10 and W11 postal districts.
Ladbroke Square Garden:   Ladbroke Square communal garden lies in Notting Hill.
Mary Place Workhouse:   Notting Dale Workhouse stood on the site of what is now Avondale Park Gardens,
Mercury Theatre:   The Mercury Theatre was situated at 2a Ladbroke Road, next to the Kensington Temple.
North Kensington Library:   North Kensington Library opened in 1891 and was described as one of London’s finest public libraries.
Notting Hill:   Notting Hill: A place whose fortunes have come, gone and come again...
Shepherds Bush:   Shepherd's Bush is an area of west London in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.
St John’s Hill:   St John’s Hill is the highest point in the area.
St John’s, Notting Hill:   St John’s Notting Hill is a Victorian Anglican church built in 1845 in Lansdowne Crescent, Notting Hill.
The Apollo:   The Apollo pub was located at 18 All Saints Road, on the southeast corner of the Lancaster Road junction.
The Bedford family at 3 Acklam Road:   From the 19th century up until 1965, number 3 Acklam Road, near the Portobello Road junction, was occupied by the Bedford family.
The Brittania:   The Brittania was situated on the corner of Clarendon Road and Portland Road, W11.
The Crown:   The Crown was situated at 57 Princedale Road.
The Tabernacle:   The Tabernacle is a Grade II*-listed building in Powis Square built in 1887 as a church.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Albert Hotel (1900s):   The Albert Hotel, on the corner of All Saints Road and Cornwall Road (now Westbourne Park Road).
Bangor Street:   2015
Bangor Street:   2015
Corner of Bangor and Sirdar Road:   2015
Political meeting (1920s):   Meeting in front of the Junction Arms situated where Tavistock Road, Crescent and Basing Road met.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Addison Avenue, W11 · Addison Place, W11 · Addison Road, W14 · Alba Place, W11 · All Saints Road, W11 · Ansleigh Place, W11 · Arundel Gardens, W11 · Avondale Park Gardens, W11 · Bangor Street, W11 · Basing Street, W11 · Blenheim Crescent, W11 · Bulmer Mews, W11 · Cambridge Gardens, W10 · Carlton Mansions, W14 · Charecroft Way, W14 · Chepstow Crescent, W11 · Chepstow Villas, W11 · Clarendon Cross, W11 · Clarendon Road, W11 · Clarendon Works, W11 · Clydesdale Road, W11 · Codrington Mews, W11 · Colville Gardens, W11 · Colville Mews, W11 · Colville Road, W11 · Colville Square, W11 · Colville Terrace, W11 · Colville Terrace, W11 · Convent Gardens, W11 · Cornwall Crescent, W11 · Dale Row, W11 · Darnley Terrace, W11 · Denbigh Close, W11 · Denbigh Road, W11 · Denbigh Terrace, W11 · Elgin Crescent, W11 · Elgin Mews, W11 · Evesham Street, W11 · Folly Mews, W11 · Freston Road, W10 · Freston Road, W11 · Golden Mews, W11 · Gorham Place, W11 · Hansard Mews, W14 · Hayden’s Place, W11 · Hayden’s Place, W11 · Hedgegate Court, W11 · Hippodrome Mews, W11 · Hippodrome Place, W11 · Holland Park Avenue, W11 · Holland Park Gardens, W14 · Holland Road, W11 · Holland Villas Road, W14 · Horbury Crescent, W11 · Horbury Mews, W11 · Hunt Close, W11 · Kenley Street, W11 · Kenley Walk, W11 · Kensington Park Gardens, W11 · Kensington Park Mews, W11 · Kensington Park Road, W11 · Kingsdale Gardens, W11 · Ladbroke Gardens, W11 · Ladbroke Grove, W11 · Ladbroke Road, W11 · Ladbroke Square, W11 · Ladbroke Terrace, W11 · Ladbroke Walk, W11 · Lambton Place, W11 · Lancaster Road, W11 · Lansdowne Crescent, W11 · Lansdowne Cresent, W11 · Lansdowne Rise, W11 · Lansdowne Road, W11 · Lansdowne Walk, W11 · Ledbury Mews North, W11 · Ledbury Road, W11 · Lonsdale Road, W11 · Lorne Gardens, W11 · Lower Addison Gardens, W14 · Mary Place, W11 · Mcgregor Road, W11 · Mortimer Square, W11 · Needham Road, W11 · Norland Place, W11 · Norland Road, W11 · Norland Square, W11 · Olaf Street, W11 · Pembridge Crescent, W11 · Pembridge Gardens, W2 · Pembridge Mews, W11 · Pembridge Road, W11 · Pembridge Villas, W11 · Pencombe Mews, W11 · Penzance Place, W11 · Portland Road, W11 · Portobello Green, W10 · Portobello Road, W11 · Pottery Lane, W11 · Powis Gardens, W11 · Powis Mews, W11 · Powis Square, W11 · Powis Terrace, W11 · Princedale Road, W11 · Princes Place, W11 · Queensdale Crecent, W11 · Queensdale Crescent, W11 · Queensdale Place, W11 · Queensdale Road, W11 · Queensdale Walk, W11 · Richmond Way, W14 · Rosehart Mews, W11 · Rosmead Road, W11 · Royal Crescent Mews, W11 · Royal Crescent, W11 · Royal Cresent Mews, W11 · Silvester Mews, W11 · Simon Close, W11 · Sirdar Road, W11 · St Anns Road, W11 · St Anns Villas, W11 · St James Gardens, W11 · St James’s Gardens, W11 · St John’s Mews, W11 · St Lukes Mews, W11 · St Luke’s Mews, W11 · St Luke’s Road, W11 · St Mark’s Place, W11 · St. Anns Road, W11 · St. Johns Gardens, W11 · Stanley Crescent, W11 · Stanley Gardens Mews, W11 · Stanley Gardens, W11 · Stoneleigh Place, W11 · Stoneleigh Street, W11 · Swanscombe House, W11 · Swanscombe Road, W11 · Talbot Road, W11 · Tavistock Crescent, W11 · Tavistock Mews, W11 · Tavistock Road, W11 · Testerton Walk, W11 · Upper Addison Gardens, W14 · Vernon Yard, W11 · Walmer Road, W11 · Wellington Close, W11 · West Cross Route, W11 · Westbourne Grove Mews, W11 · Westbourne Grove, W11 · Wilby Mews, W11 · Wilsham Street, W11 · Wilsham Street, W11 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Latimer Road
Facebook Page
Wood Lane
Facebook Page
White City
Facebook Page
Shepherd's Bush Market
Facebook Page
Ladbroke Grove
Facebook Page
Kensington (Olympia)
Facebook Page
Holland Park
Facebook Page
Goldhawk Road
Facebook Page
Shepherd’s Bush
Facebook Page
Born in W10
Facebook group
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions

Maps


Inner West London (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
1930s map covering East Acton, Holland Park, Kensington, Notting Hill, Olympia, Shepherds Bush and Westbourne Park,
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

John Rocque Map of Ealing and Acton (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area from Greenford in the northwest to Hammersmith in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.