Deacons Hill Road, Elstree, Herts.

Road in/near Elstree, existing between 1868 and now

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Road · Elstree · WD6 ·

Deacons Hill Road is a road connecting Barnet Lane and Allum Lane.

Credit: Raphael Tuck and Sons
Deacons Hill Road was created in the 19th century by the owner of Deacons Hill House in Barnet Lane, George Monck Gibbs, to provide easier access to the railway station which was opened in 1868. He would often be seen driving a pony and trap. Deacons Hill House is now the site of Deacons Heights.

After Monck’s death, the local council purchased the road in 1898 and called it New Road. It became Deacons Hill Road in the 1920s.

In the 1930s and 1940s, Deacons Hill was a wealthy area and many people associated with the film industry lived here. The most famous of these was the film producer Herbert Wilcox and the actress Anna Neagle. They helped style Boreham Wood as the British Hollywood.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


Raphael Tuck and Sons



Elstree is a village in the southermost area of Hertfordshire situated on Watling Street.

Though since boundary changes fully in Hertfordshire, until the 1990s it was half in Hertfordshire and half in Middlesex (now Greater London).

It is most famous for giving its name to the Elstree Film Studios in nearby Borehamwood where a number of famous British films were made.

Elstree has an airfield, with a paved runway, suitable for light aircraft use. The nearest railway station is Elstree & Borehamwood.

Print-friendly version of this page