Corner of Kilburn Park Road and Shirland Road

Crossing in Kilburn Park, existing between 1855 and now

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Crossing · Kilburn Park · NW6 · Contributed by Scott Hatton
JANUARY
6
2017


Park Road - later renamed Kilburn Park Road - was jointly constructed in 1855 to coincide with a project to straighten the course of the Bayswater rivulet (or Westbourne River) which still ran on the surface. The Willesden-Paddington boundary, formerly following the stream, was then redrawn to follow the new route of Kilburn Park Road.

The Westbourne, until the mid 19th century usually called the Bayswater Rivulet, is a union of streamlets rising on the west side of Hampstead Heath and joining together near the Edgware Road at Kilburn.

It flows overall in a southeasterly direction across Paddington. Often straightened and culverted, as the Ranelagh sewer, before being built over, its course was still open in 1871 along the later line of Kilburn Park Road and Shirland Road.

At the corner of the two roads, the newly channelled stream changed course - north of this corner is ran NNE and, at the corner, turned sharply south west.

Farther south, it had disappeared beneath Formosa Road, Ranelagh (later Lord Hill’s) Road, the western ends of Bishop’s Bridge Road and Cleveland Square, and behind the western side of Gloucester Terrace to Hyde Park, where its valley had been dammed in 1730 to form the Serpentine.

Half way along Shirland Road, the Westbourne was joined by a stream which flowed from Kensal Rise across Queen’s Park. A small eastern tributary, from Marble Arch to the Serpentine, was sometimes called the Tyburn brook but was not the better known Tyburn, which flowed southward across Marylebone.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

VIEW THE KILBURN PARK AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN PARK AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN PARK AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN PARK AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN PARK AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Go to Kilburn Park

Kilburn Park

Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington.

The area of Kilburn Park was developed in the 1850s somewhat south of the area then known as Kilburn in the fields west of the Edgware Road. The "Park" in the name was simply an invention by the developer, James Bailey.

Bailey had teamed up in a consortium of five developers who in 1850 bought 47 acres from owner the Reverend Edward Stuart. The consortium laid out roads and sewers and divided the site among themselves, subletting to smaller firms who built a few houses each.

The isolated, muddy location failed to attract many buyers and the estate remained incomplete for several decades. Properties were soon subdivided, some containing as many as six households in the 1870s.

Kilburn Park was finally complete in the late 1880s.

During the first decade of the twentieth century, the London & North West Railway planned a tunnel between Queen’s Park and Euston. While a surface line was built instead along the same route, the idea of extending south from Queen’s Park gained momentum and, in 1911, it was mooted to extend the Bakerloo Line in that direction.

Despite an aggressive building schedule which saw the line completed in just four years, only two stations – Kilburn Park and Warwick Avenue were ready on time. Services were extended to Queen’s Park twelve days later, on 11 February 1915. Due to the war, Maida Vale did not follow until 6 June.

The station building was designed by Stanley Heaps in a modified version of the earlier Leslie Green designed Bakerloo line stations with glazed terra cotta façades but without the large semi-circular windows at first floor level. It was one of the first London Underground stations built specifically to use escalators rather than lifts. Because of the lack of lifts, there was no longer any need for an engine room, and the new station building was built as a single story building.

At time of opening, because the First World War was underway, the entire staff were women.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Bayswater Rivulet:   The Bayswater Rivulet was the original name for the Westbourne River
Bridge House:   Canal side house in Westbourne Park
Kilburn Bridge:   Kilburn Bridge once marked the spot where the Edgware Road crossed the River Westbourne.
Kilburn Park:   Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington.
Kilburn Park Farm:   Kilburn Park Farm was situated almost opposite the Red Lion along the Edgware Road.
Maida Hill:   Maida Hill's name derives from the Hero of Maida inn which used to be on Edgware Road near the Regent's Canal.
Orme's Green:   Ormes Green was the former name for this part of Westbourne Park.
The Prince of Wales Cinema:   The Prince of Wales Cinema was located at 331 Harrow Road.
The Windsor Castle:   The Windsor Castle dates from the 1820s but its main incarnation was as a classic Victorian public house, seminal in 1970s musical history.
West Kilburn:   West Kilburn is the westernmost slice of London W9, centered around Fernhead Road.
Westbourne Manor:   The Manor of Westbourne
Weston’s Cider House:   In 1930 Weston’s opened their first and only cider mill on the Harrow Road.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Abinger Mews, W9 · Albert Road, NW6 · Alpha Place, NW6 · Amberley Road, W9 · Andover Place, NW6 · Andover Place, W9 · Barnsdale Road, W9 · Bradiston Road, W9 · Burlington Close, W9 · Cambridge Avenue, NW6 · Cambridge Court, NW6 · Cambridge Gardens, NW6 · Cambridge Road, NW6 · Canterbury Road, NW6 · Canterbury Terrace, NW6 · Carlton Vale, NW6 · Chichester Road, NW6 · Chippenham Gardens, NW6 · Chippenham Mews, W9 · Chippenham Road, W9 · Coventry Close, NW6 · Croxley Road, W9 · Denholme Road, W9 · Denmark Road, NW6 · Dibdin House, W9 · Edbrooke Road, W9 · Elgin Avenue, W9 · Essendine Mansions, W9 · Essendine Road, W9 · Fernhead Road, W9 · Fordingley Road, W9 · Godson Yard, NW6 · Goldney Road, W9 · Gorefield Place, NW6 · Granville Road, NW6 · Great Western Studios, W9 · Grittleton Road, W9 · Hansel Road, NW6 · Harrow Road, W9 · Hermes Close, W9 · Kilburn Bridge, NW6 · Kilburn Park Road, NW6 · Kilburn Park Road, W9 · Lanhill Road, W9 · Lydford Road, W9 · Macroom Road, W9 · Malvern Mews, NW6 · Malvern Place, NW6 · Malvern Road, NW6 · Maple Mews, NW6 · Marylands Road, W9 · Masefield House, NW6 · Morshead Road, W9 · Nelson Close, NW6 · Neville Close, NW6 · Neville Road, NW6 · Oakington Road, W9 · Oxford Road, NW6 · Pentland Road, NW6 · Princess Road, NW6 · Randolph Gardens, NW6 · Rupert Road, NW6 · Saltram Crescent, W9 · Saltram Cresent, W9 · Shirland Mews, W9 · Shirland Road, W9 · Stafford Close, NW6 · Stafford Road, NW6 · Stuart Road, NW6 · Surrendale Place, W9 · Torridon House, NW6 · Walterton Road, W9 · Warlock Road, W9 · Wells Court, NW6 · Western Mews, W9 · Widley Road, W9 · William Dunbar House, NW6 · William Saville House, NW6 · Windsor Gardens, W9 · Woodfield Crescent, W9 · Woodfield Place, W9 · Woodfield Road, W9 · Wymering Mansions, W9 · Wymering Road, W9 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Westbourne Park
Facebook Page
Royal Oak
Facebook Page
Kilburn Park
Facebook Page
Maida Vale
Facebook Page
Warwick Avenue
Facebook Page
Queen’s Park
Facebook Page
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Born in W10
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Inner West London (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
1930s map covering East Acton, Holland Park, Kensington, Notting Hill, Olympia, Shepherds Bush and Westbourne Park,
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.