It was demolished to make way for the Westway.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
|VIEW THE NOTTING DALE AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE NOTTING DALE AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE NOTTING DALE AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE NOTTING DALE AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE NOTTING DALE AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
| ||Upload an image|
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
| ||Add new information to this location|
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
From Pigs and bricks to Posh and Becks...
As houses were springing up all over the rest of northern Kensington, one corner of the borough was developing into a slum whose notoriety was probably unsurpassed throughout London
It lay at the foot of the hill on which the Ladbroke estate was laid out, directly north of Pottery Lane, on badly draining clay soil between the Norland Estate and Notting Barns Farm.
Its first occupants were to give it two infamous names: the brick makers, who seemed to have arrived in the late lath century, and the pig-keepers, who moved there in the early l9th century.
To make bricks and tiles involved large excavations, which soon filled with stagnant water. The keeping of pigs entailed collecting refuse and offal from the kitchens of hotels and private houses, feeding most of it to pigs and boiling down the fat.
The combination of both bricks and pigs spelt disaster for the area.
Samuel Lake of Tottenham Court Road, a scavenger and chimney sweep by occupation was the first to keep pigs here and he was soon joined by the pig keepers of the Marble Arch area who had been forced out of their area by building development. The colony was at first sufficiently isolated to be able to go about their business unfettered; and by the time streets were being built nearby, the piggeries were so well established that developers simply steered clear.
Shacks sprang up wherever convenient for there was no building control in London at that time, and inevitably they were jumbled together with the pigs and the ponds: indeed often the three were combined, with humans sharing their roofs with animals and living directly over stagnant water: the animals at one stage outnumbered people by three to one.
The area’s unsanitary conditions had become so notorious that Charles Dickens ran a special feature on it in the first edition issue of his magazine Household Words
The Piggeries and Brickyards were far from the sight and concern of the Vestry and its duties were taken up by charities, both religious and secular. But it was Kensington’s first Medical Officer of Health, Dr Francis Goodrich, who was given the formidable task of cleaning up the area. Goodrich stated that it was one of the most deplorable
spots not only in Kensington but in the whole of the metropolis.
Rather than manufacturing bricks, locals started to concentrate more on the making of pottery, mostly drainpipes, tiles and flower pots to supply the local building boom. This trade, however, gradually declined and business ceased by 1863, the same time as when the stagnant ’Ocean’ was filled in.
As far as the Piggeries were concerned strong opposition to a clean up came from the pig keepers themselves, as that was their only livelihood. And perversely the Vestry did not want them to lose the pigs because the families then could become a charge on the poor rate.
By 1878 Goodrich’s successor Dr Dudfield managed, however, to gradually reduce the number of pigs but it was not until the 1890’s that the last pig was banished.
The area nevertheless remained notorious. Instead of pig keeping the men turned to living off what their women could earn as laundresses, initially at home (especially in
the Stoneleigh Street area) and later in small laundries. A local saying in this area declared that ’to marry an ironer is as good as a fortune’
But change was coming.
The 1860s at last witnessed the opening of schools, (such as one in Sirdar Road), the paving of streets and the construction of proper sewers. But it was not until 1888 were public baths and washhouses provided at the junction of Silchester and Lancaster Roads.
In 1889 the Rev C E Roberts of St Clements Church and the Rev Dr Thornton of St Johns appealed in a letter to the Times for an open space for the children of this area. As a result the old brickfield and the area of the ’Ocean’ became the start of Avondale Park opened in 1892 and named in memory of the recently deceased Duke of Clarence and Avondale.
But even then, a year after the park was opened that the Daily News described the area adjacent to the park as ’Avernus’ (the fabled gateway to hell!). The article identified Wilsham Street, Kenley Street, another two streets now replaced by Henry Dickens Court and part of Sirdar Road as ’hopelessly degraded and abandoned’.
The dense rows of artisan houses in these streets were massively over-occupied or else were the most primitive lodging houses in which a bed on the floor cost a few pennies per night. Local residents made a living as best they could but it was a close knit community who seemed to scrape together enough money to pay for visits to the music hall and for summer day trips.
By 1904 new low cost tenements were built and the Improved Tenements Association bought 64 year leases of four houses in Walmer Road in 1900, and these were modernised and divided into two room tenements to accommodate 13 families for rents of 5 shillings a week. Other housing associations followed such as the Wilsham Trust formed by Ladies- in-waiting at Kensington Palace.
The poverty and hardship of the Potteries and Piggeries is very much a thing of the past. Now the neighbourhood is an attractive, leafy, peaceful backwater made up of rows of well kept two and three storey Victorian brick terraced houses and cottages, in the shadow of the graceful golden weather vane and clock of St Clements Church.
The area has come a long way.
The Notting Hill & Holland Park Book by Richard Tames
Kensington & Chelsea by Annabel Walker with Peter Jackson
Notting Hill and Holland Park Past by Barbara Denny
Survey of London: Northern Kensington: Vol:XXXVII for the Greater London Council
Bassett House School
|LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
: Bassett House School is a preparatory school for children aged 3 to 11 years old based in North Kensington. Earl of Zetland
: A pub in the PotteriesKenilworth Castle
: The Kenilworth Castle was a post-war pub in Notting Dale.Latimer Road
: A station not named after the road it stands onMary Place Workhouse
: Notting Dale Workhouse stood on the site of what is now Avondale Park Gardens,North Kensington
: North Kensington lies either side of Ladbroke Grove, W10.Notting Dale
: From Pigs and bricks to Posh and Becks...Notting Hill Barn Farm
: Notting Barns Farm was one of two farms in the North Kensington area.Sion Manning Roman Catholic Girls’ School
: Sion Manning Roman Catholic Girls’ School is in St Charles Square.St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College
: St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College is a Roman Catholic sixth form college.The Brittania
: The Brittania was situated on the corner of Clarendon Road and Portland Road, W11.Western Iron Works
: The Western Iron Works was the foundry business of James Bartle and Co.Bangor Street
: 2015Bangor Street
: 2015Corner of Bangor and Sirdar Road
: 2015Ridler's Tyre Yard
: Ridler's Tyres was situated in a part of Blechynden Street which no longer existsSt Charles’ Square Training College (1908)
: St Charles’ Square Training College/Carmelite Convent.
Aldermaston Street, W10
|NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
· Ansleigh Place, W11
· Archway Close, W10
· Avondale Park Gardens, W11
· Avondale Park Road, W11
· Bard Road, W10
· Bartle Road, W11
· Bassett Road, W10
· Blechynden Mews, W11
· Blechynden Street, W10
· Bomore Road, W11
· Bonchurch Road, W10
· Bramley Mews, W10
· Bramley Road, W10
· Bramley Road, W11
· Bramley Street, W10
· Bridge Close, W10
· Calverley Street, W10
· Camelford Walk, W11
· Charlotte Mews, W10
· Chesterton Road, W10
· Clarendon Cross, W11
· Clarendon Works, W11
· Cornwall Crescent, W11
· Crowthorne Road, W10
· Darfield Way, W10
· Darfield Way, W10
· Dulford Street, W11
· East Mews, W10
· Finstock Road, W10
· Fowell Street, W10
· Freston Road, W10
· Golborne Mews, W10
· Gorham Place, W11
· Grenfell Road, W11
· Grenfell Walk, W11
· Hippodrome Mews, W11
· Hippodrome Place, W11
· Kelfield Gardens, W10
· Kelfield Mews, W10
· Kenley Walk, W11
· Kingsdown Close, W10
· Ladbroke Crescent, W11
· Latimer Mews, W10
· Latimer Road, W10
· Lockton Street, W10
· Malton Mews, W10
· Malton Road, W10
· Martin Street, W10
· Mary Place, W11
· Maxilla Gardens, W10
· Maxilla Gardens, W10
· Millwood Street, W10
· Mortimer Square, W11
· Norburn Street, W10
· Oxford Gardens, W10
· Pamber Street, W10
· Railway Arches, W10
· Rillington Place, W11
· Runcorn Place, W11
· Ruston Mews, W11
· Saint Lawrence Terrace, W10
· Scampston Mews, W10
· Shalfleet Drive, W10
· Silchester Mews, W10
· Silchester Road, W10
· Silchester Terrace, W10
· Sirdar Road, W11
· St Andrews Square, W11
· St Anns Road, W11
· St Charles Place, W10
· St Charles Square, W10
· St Helens Gardens, W10
· St Lawrence Terrace, W10
· St Marks Road, W10
· St Marks Road, W11
· St Mark’s Close, W11
· St. Anns Road, W11
· St. Mark’s Road, W11
· Stable Way, W10
· Station Walk, W10
· Station Walk, W11
· Stoneleigh Place, W11
· Stoneleigh Street, W11
· Treadgold Street, W11
· Trinity Mews, W10
· Verity Close, W11
· Walmer Road, W11
· Waynflete Square, W10
· Waynflete Square, W10
· Wesley Square, W11
· West Cross Route, W10
· Westway, W10
· Whitchurch Road, W11
|USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES|
- If you wish to link to this article in another article, copy the text in blue: [[37084|Maxilla Gardens, W10]] - you can change the italic text to suit your text
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *L9532410L* for a left-aligned image
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *R9532410R* for a right-aligned image