Maxilla Gardens, W10

Road in/near Notting Dale, existed between 1865 and 1969

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.90.109.231 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Road · Notting Dale · W10 · Contributed by The Underground Map
FEBRUARY
15
2017


Maxilla Gardens was a former street in London W10.

It was demolished to make way for the Westway.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



ADD A STORY TO MAXILLA GARDENS
VIEW THE NOTTING DALE AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING DALE AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING DALE AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING DALE AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING DALE AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Notting Dale

From Pigs and bricks to Posh and Becks...

As houses were springing up all over the rest of northern Kensington, one corner of the borough was developing into a slum whose notoriety was probably unsurpassed throughout London

It lay at the foot of the hill on which the Ladbroke estate was laid out, directly north of Pottery Lane, on badly draining clay soil between the Norland Estate and Notting Barns Farm.

Its first occupants were to give it two infamous names: the brick makers, who seemed to have arrived in the late lath century, and the pig-keepers, who moved there in the early l9th century.

To make bricks and tiles involved large excavations, which soon filled with stagnant water. The keeping of pigs entailed collecting refuse and offal from the kitchens of hotels and private houses, feeding most of it to pigs and boiling down the fat.

The combination of both bricks and pigs spelt disaster for the area.

Samuel Lake of Tottenham Court Road, a scavenger and chimney sweep by occupation was the first to keep pigs here and he was soon joined by the pig keepers of the Marble Arch area who had been forced out of their area by building development. The colony was at first sufficiently isolated to be able to go about their business unfettered; and by the time streets were being built nearby, the piggeries were so well established that developers simply steered clear.

Shacks sprang up wherever convenient for there was no building control in London at that time, and inevitably they were jumbled together with the pigs and the ponds: indeed often the three were combined, with humans sharing their roofs with animals and living directly over stagnant water: the animals at one stage outnumbered people by three to one.

The area’s unsanitary conditions had become so notorious that Charles Dickens ran a special feature on it in the first edition issue of his magazine Household Words.

The Piggeries and Brickyards were far from the sight and concern of the Vestry and its duties were taken up by charities, both religious and secular. But it was Kensington’s first Medical Officer of Health, Dr Francis Goodrich, who was given the formidable task of cleaning up the area. Goodrich stated that it was one of the most deplorable
spots not only in Kensington but in the whole of the metropolis.

Rather than manufacturing bricks, locals started to concentrate more on the making of pottery, mostly drainpipes, tiles and flower pots to supply the local building boom. This trade, however, gradually declined and business ceased by 1863, the same time as when the stagnant ’Ocean’ was filled in.

As far as the Piggeries were concerned strong opposition to a clean up came from the pig keepers themselves, as that was their only livelihood. And perversely the Vestry did not want them to lose the pigs because the families then could become a charge on the poor rate.

By 1878 Goodrich’s successor Dr Dudfield managed, however, to gradually reduce the number of pigs but it was not until the 1890’s that the last pig was banished.

The area nevertheless remained notorious. Instead of pig keeping the men turned to living off what their women could earn as laundresses, initially at home (especially in
the Stoneleigh Street area) and later in small laundries. A local saying in this area declared that ’to marry an ironer is as good as a fortune’

But change was coming.

The 1860s at last witnessed the opening of schools, (such as one in Sirdar Road), the paving of streets and the construction of proper sewers. But it was not until 1888 were public baths and washhouses provided at the junction of Silchester and Lancaster Roads.

In 1889 the Rev C E Roberts of St Clements Church and the Rev Dr Thornton of St Johns appealed in a letter to the Times for an open space for the children of this area. As a result the old brickfield and the area of the ’Ocean’ became the start of Avondale Park opened in 1892 and named in memory of the recently deceased Duke of Clarence and Avondale.

But even then, a year after the park was opened that the Daily News described the area adjacent to the park as ’Avernus’ (the fabled gateway to hell!). The article identified Wilsham Street, Kenley Street, another two streets now replaced by Henry Dickens Court and part of Sirdar Road as ’hopelessly degraded and abandoned’.

The dense rows of artisan houses in these streets were massively over-occupied or else were the most primitive lodging houses in which a bed on the floor cost a few pennies per night. Local residents made a living as best they could but it was a close knit community who seemed to scrape together enough money to pay for visits to the music hall and for summer day trips.

By 1904 new low cost tenements were built and the Improved Tenements Association bought 64 year leases of four houses in Walmer Road in 1900, and these were modernised and divided into two room tenements to accommodate 13 families for rents of 5 shillings a week. Other housing associations followed such as the Wilsham Trust formed by Ladies- in-waiting at Kensington Palace.

The poverty and hardship of the Potteries and Piggeries is very much a thing of the past. Now the neighbourhood is an attractive, leafy, peaceful backwater made up of rows of well kept two and three storey Victorian brick terraced houses and cottages, in the shadow of the graceful golden weather vane and clock of St Clements Church.

The area has come a long way.

Sources:
The Notting Hill & Holland Park Book by Richard Tames
Kensington & Chelsea by Annabel Walker with Peter Jackson
Notting Hill and Holland Park Past by Barbara Denny
Survey of London: Northern Kensington: Vol:XXXVII for the Greater London Council


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
6 East Row, W10: Scott Hatton:   Scott Hatton lived here in 1960
Admiral Blake (The Cowshed):   The Admiral Blake was situated at the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Barlby Road.
Ark Brunel Primary Academy:   Academy sponsor led (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Avondale Park Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Bales College:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 20. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Bassett House School:   Bassett House School is a mixed independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Cape Nursery:   The Cape Nursery once lay along the south side of Shepherd’s Bush Green.
Carmelite Monastery of The Most Holy Trinity:   Convent in North Kensington
Clayton Arms:   A pub which was situated halfway down West Row in Kensal Town.
Color Printing Works:   Color (sic) Printing Works featured on the 1900 map of North Kensington.
Dissenters’ Chapel:   The Dissenters’ Chapel is a redundant chapel in Kensal Green Cemetery, recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.
Earl of Zetland:   A pub in the Potteries
Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance:   Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance is the traditional starting point for the Notting Hill Carnival.
Gas Light and Coke Company:   The gasometers of the Gas Light and Coke company dominated North Kensington until demolition in the late 20th century.
Instituto Espanol Canada Blanch:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 19. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Jack of Newbury:   The Jack of Newbury stood at the corner of East Row and Kensal Road until it was bombed on 2 October 1940.
Kenilworth Castle:   The Kenilworth Castle was a post-war pub in Notting Dale.
Kensal House:   There are two Kensal Houses in London W10 - this was the original
Kensal Town:   Soapsuds Island
Kensington Hippodrome:   The Kensington Hippodrome was a racecourse built in Notting Hill, London, in 1837, by entrepreneur John Whyte.
Kensington Memorial Park:   
Kensington Park Hotel:   The KPH is a landmark pub on Ladbroke Grove.
La Petite Ecole Bilingue:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
La Petite Ecole Francaise:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
La Scuola Italiana A Londra:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 14. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Lads of the Village:   One of the signature public houses along Kensal Road.
Latimer AP Academy:   Academy alternative provision converter which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 18.
Latimer Road:   A station not named after the road it stands on
Luxurious sewers:   The effluent society
Mary Place Workhouse:   Notting Dale Workhouse stood on the site of what is now Avondale Park Gardens,
Maxilla Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Middle Row Bus Garage:   Middle Row Bus Garage was situated on the corner of Conlan Street and Middle Row, W10.
Middle Row School:   Middle Row School was established in the late 19th century to provide education to the children of Kensal New Town.
Norland Place School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
North Kensington Library:   North Kensington Library opened in 1891 and was described as one of London’s finest public libraries.
North Kensington:   North Kensington lies either side of Ladbroke Grove, W10.
Notting Dale:   From Pigs and bricks to Posh and Becks...
Notting Hill Barn Farm:   Notting Barns Farm was one of two farms in the North Kensington area.
Notting Hill in Bygone Days: In the Eighteenth Century:   Chapter 3 of the book "Notting Hill in Bygone Days" by Florence Gladstone (1924)
Notting Hill in Bygone Days: St. Charles’s Ward:   Chapter 10 of the book "Notting Hill in Bygone Days" by Florence Gladstone (1924)
Notting Hill Preparatory School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 13.
Oxford Gardens Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Portobello Arms:   The Portobello Arms was a former pub in Kensal Town, established in 1842.
Portobello Green:   Portobello Green features a shopping arcade under the Westway along Thorpe Close, an open-air market under the canopy, and community gardens.
PPP Community School:   Other independent special school which accepts students between the ages of 13 and 17.
Princess Louise Hospital:   The Princess Louise Hospital for Children was opened by King George V and Queen Mary in 1928. It had 42 beds, an Out-Patients Department and Dispensary for Sick Women.
Queen Victoria/Narrow Boat:   The 'Vic' was the first building on the right when crossing the canal going north along Ladbroke Grove.
Queen’s Park Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Queens Park Estate:   The part of Queen's Park which is in the W10 postcode and City of Westminster, is known as the Queens Park Estate.
Queen’s Park Library:   Queen’s Park Library was built to improve the minds of the new Queen’s Park Estate residents.
Saint Francis of Assisi Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Saint John the Evangelist:   Saint John’s Church stands on the busy crossroads of Harrow Road, Kilburn Lane and Ladbroke Grove and on the boundaries of the London Boroughs of Brent, Kensington and the City of Westminster, in which it stands.
Saint Mary’s Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Shepherds Bush:   Shepherd's Bush is an area of west London in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.
Sion Manning Roman Catholic Girls’ School:   Sion Manning Roman Catholic Girls’ School is in St Charles Square.
Sion-Manning Catholic Girls’ School:   Voluntary aided school (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 16. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
St Anne’s & Avondale Park Nursery School:   Local authority nursery school (Nursery) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 5.
St Charles Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College:   St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College is a Roman Catholic sixth form college.
St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College:   Further education (16 plus) which accepts students between the ages of 16 and 99.
St Charles Hospital:   The St Marylebone workhouse infirmary was opened in 1881 on Rackham Street, North Kensington and received a congratulatory letter from Florence Nightingale.
St Clement and St James CofE Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St Martins Mission:   Saint Martin's Mission was originally known as Rackham Hall as it was situated on Rackham Street.
St Thomas’ CofE Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St. Joseph's Home:   St Joseph's dominated a part of Portobello Road up until the 1980s.
Tabernacle School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 18. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
The Brittania:   The Brittania was situated on the corner of Clarendon Road and Portland Road, W11.
The Cardinal Vaughan Memorial RC School:   Academy converter (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
The Crown:   The Crown was situated at 57 Princedale Road.
The Eagle:   The Eagle, on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Telford Road.
The Earl Derby:   The Earl Derby stood on the corner of Southern Row and Bosworth Road.
The Flora:   The Flora is situated on Harrow Road, W10.
The Foresters:   A lost pub of London W10
The Lloyd Williamson School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 1 and 16. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
The Mitre:   The Mitre was situated at 62 Golborne Road.
The Plough:   From the sixteenth century onwards, the Plough stood beside the Harrow Road.
The Prince of Wales (Chilled Eskimo):   A pub in Kensal Town
Thomas Jones Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Western Arms:   The Western Arms was a pub situated on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Kensal Road.
Western Iron Works:   The Western Iron Works was the foundry business of James Bartle and Co.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Bangor Street:   2015
Bangor Street:   2015
Corner of Bangor and Sirdar Road:   2015
Corner of Rackham Street, Ladbroke Grove (1950):   The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
Exmoor Street (1950):   Photographed just after the Second World War, looking north along Exmoor Street.
Ladbroke Grove looking north (1900):   This early 1900s image was taken just south of the junction of Ladbroke Grove and Treverton Street.
Ladbroke Grove looking north (1950):   Ladbroke Grove on the corner of St Charles Sqaure taken outside the Eagle public house, looking north, just prior to the outbreak of the Second World War.
Ladbroke Grove railway bridge:   Looking north over Bartle Bridge in the 1950s
Lothrop Street (1907):   2015
Rackham Street, eastern end (1950):   The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
Rackham Street, western end (1950):   A bombed-out Rackham Street, looking down from the junction with Exmoor Street.
Ridler's Tyre Yard:   Ridler's Tyres was situated in a part of Blechynden Street which no longer exists
St Charles Square after bombing (1950):   A corner of St Charles Square looking north, just after the Second World War
St Charles Square ready for redevelopment (1951):   Photographed in 1951, the corner of St Charles Square and Ladbroke Grove looking northwest just after the Second World War.
St Charles’ Square Training College (1908):   St Charles’ Square Training College/Carmelite Convent.
St Quintin Park Cricket Ground (1890s):   Before the turn of the 20th century, west of present day North Kensington lay fields - the future Barlby Road was the site of the St Quintin Park Cricket Ground.
The Victoria (1920s):   The Victoria later became the Narrow Boat before it ’conveniently burned down’.
Western Dwellings from below (1960s):   This photo was taken from the bottom of Southern Row steps.
William Miller's Yard:   William Miller's Yard stood in Chapel Place, West Row.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Addison Avenue, W11 · Addison Place, W11 · Addison Road, W14 · Adela Street, W10 · Admiral Mews, W10 · Aldermaston Street, W10 · Alderson Street, W10 · Ansleigh Place, W11 · Appleford House, W10 · Archway Close, W10 · Ariel Way, W12 · Athlone Gate, W10 · Avondale Park Gardens, W11 · Avondale Park Road, W11 · Balliol Road, W10 · Bangor Street, W11 · Bard Road, W10 · Barlby Gardens, W10 · Barlby Road, W10 · Bartle Road, W11 · Bassett Road, W10 · Bayford Road, NW10 · Bevington Road, W10 · Blechynden Mews, W11 · Blechynden Street, W10 · Bomore Road, W11 · Bonchurch Road, W10 · Bosworth Road, W10 · Bourbon Lane, W12 · Bramley Mews, W10 · Bramley Road, W10 · Bramley Road, W11 · Bramley Street, W10 · Branstone Street, W10 · Briar Walk, W10 · Bridge Close, W10 · Bruce Close, W10 · Buller Road, NW10 · Calverley Street, W10 · Camelford Walk, W11 · Canal Close, W10 · Canal Way, W10 · Carlton Mansions, W14 · Caxton Road, W12 · Charecroft Way, W12 · Charecroft Way, W14 · Charlotte Mews, W10 · Chesterton Road, W10 · Clarendon Cross, W11 · Clarendon Road, W11 · Compton Road, NW10 · Conlan Street, W10 · Cornwall Crescent, W11 · Crowthorne Road, W10 · Dale Row, W11 · Darfield Way, W10 · Darfield Way, W10 · Darnley Terrace, W11 · Droop Street, W10 · Dulford Street, W11 · East Mews, W10 · East Row, W10 · Elgin Crescent, W11 · Elgin Mews, W11 · Embrook Street, W10 · Enbrook Street, W10 · Evesham Street, W11 · Exmoor Street, W10 · Faraday Road, W10 · Farrant Street, W10 · Fifth Avenue, W10 · Finstock Road, W10 · Fourth Avenue, W10 · Fowell Street, W10 · Freston Road, W10 · Freston Road, W11 · Frog Island, W12 · Galton Street, W10 · Golborne Mews, W10 · Golborne Road, W10 · Gorham Place, W11 · Grenfell Road, W11 · Grenfell Tower, W11 · Halstow Road, NW10 · Hansard Mews, W12 · Hansard Mews, W14 · Harrow Road, W10 · Hawthorn Walk, W10 · Heather Walk, W10 · Hewer Street, W10 · Hill Farm Road, W10 · Hippodrome Mews, W11 · Hippodrome Place, W11 · Holland Park Avenue, W11 · Holland Park Gardens, W14 · Holland Road, W11 · Holland Villas Road, W14 · Humber Drive, W10 · Hunt Close, W11 · Hurstway Walk, W11 · Huxley Street, W10 · Ilbert Street, W10 · James House Appleford Road, W10 · Kelfield Gardens, W10 · Kelfield Mews, W10 · Kenley Street, W11 · Kenley Walk, W11 · Kensal House, W10 · Kensal Road, W10 · Kilravock Street, W10 · Kingsbridge Road, W10 · Kingsdale Gardens, W11 · Kingsdown Close, W10 · Ladbroke Crescent, W11 · Ladbroke Grove, W10 · Lansdowne Rise, W11 · Latimer Mews, W10 · Lavie Mews, W10 · Lionel Mews, W10 · Lockton Street, W10 · Lorne Gardens, W11 · Lothrop Street, W10 · Lower Addison Gardens, W14 · Malton Mews, W10 · Malton Road, W10 · Manchester Drive, W10 · Manchester Road, W10 · Maple Walk, W10 · Marne Street, W10 · Martin Street, W10 · Mary Place, W11 · Matthew Close, W10 · Maxilla Gardens, W10 · Maxilla Gardens, W10 · Maxilla Walk, W10 · Methwold Road, W10 · Middle Row, W10 · Millers Way, W6 · Millwood Street, W10 · Mortimer Square, W11 · Munro Mews, W10 · Nicholas Road, W11 · Norburn Street, W10 · Norland Place, W11 · Norland Road, W11 · Norland Square, W11 · Oakworth Road, W10 · Olaf Street, W11 · Oxford Gardens, W10 · Pamber Street, W10 · Peach Road, W10 · Pember Road, NW10 · Penzance Place, W11 · Porlock Street, W10 · Portland Gate, SW7 · Portland Road, W11 · Portobello Road, W10 · Pottery Lane, W11 · Prince?s Yard, W11 · Princedale Road, W11 · Princes Place, W11 · Queensdale Crecent, W11 · Queensdale Crescent, W11 · Queensdale Place, W11 · Queensdale Road, W11 · Queensdale Walk, W11 · Rackham Street, W10 · Railway Arches, W10 · Rainham Road, NW10 · Raymede Street, W10 · Regent Street, NW10 · Richmond Way, W12 · Rifle Place, W11 · Rillington Place, W11 · Rockley Court, W14 · Ronan Walk, W10 · Rootes Drive, W10 · Rosmead Road, W11 · Royal Crescent Mews, W11 · Royal Crescent, W11 · Runcorn Place, W11 · Ruston Mews, W11 · Saint Anns Villas, W11 · Saint Charles Place, W10 · Saint Charles Square, W10 · Saint Helens Gardens, W10 · Saint Lawrence Terrace, W10 · Saint Mark’s Road, W10 · Saint Marks Place, W11 · Saint Marks Road, W10 · Saint Marks Road, W11 · Saint Michaels Gardens, W10 · Saint Quintin Avenue, W10 · Salters Road, W10 · Scampston Mews, W10 · Shalfleet Drive, W10 · Shepherd’s Bush Green, W12 · Shepherd’s Bush Place, W12 · Shrewsbury Court, EC1Y · Shrewsbury Street, W10 · Silchester Mews, W10 · Silchester Road, W10 · Silchester Street, W10 · Silchester Terrace, W10 · Silver Road, W12 · Sirdar Road, W11 · Sixth Avenue, W10 · Southern Row, W10 · St Andrews Square, W11 · St Anns Villas, W11 · St Charles Place, W10 · St Charles Square, W10 · St Helens Gardens, W10 · St James Gardens, W11 · St James’s Gardens, W11 · St James’s Gardens, W11 · St Johns Terrace, W10 · St Lawrence Terrace, W10 · St Marks Close, SE10 · St Marks Road, W10 · St Marks Road, W11 · St Mark’s Close, W11 · St Mark’s Place, W11 · St Mark’s Road, W10 · St Quintin Avenue, W10 · St. Anns Road, W11 · St. Mark’s Road, W10 · St. Mark’s Road, W10 · St. Mark’s Road, W11 · Stable Way, W10 · Station Walk, SE6 · Station Walk, W10 · Station Walk, W11 · Sterne Street, W12 · Stoneleigh Place, W11 · Stoneleigh Street, W11 · Sunbeam Crescent, W10 · Swanscombe House, W11 · Swanscombe Road, W11 · Sycamore Walk, W10 · Tadmor Street, W12 · Telford Road, W10 · Testerton Walk, W11 · The Grampians, W6 · The Quadrant, W10 · Thorpe Close, W10 · Treadgold Street, W11 · Treverton Street, W10 · Trinity Mews, W10 · Upper Addison Gardens, W14 · Verity Close, W11 · Wallingford Avenue, W10 · Walmer Road, W10 · Walmer Road, W11 · Warfield Road, NW10 · Waynflete Square, W10 · Waynflete Square, W10 · Wellington Road, NW10 · Wesley Square, W11 · West Cross Route, W11 · West Row, W10 · Western Dwellings · Westfield Way, W12 · Wheatstone Road, W10 · Whitchurch Road, W11 · Wilsham Street, W11 · Woodsford Square, W14 · Woodstock Grove, W12 · Wornington Road, W10 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Old Notting Hill/North Ken History
Facebook group, covering the history of W10 and W11.
RBKC Library Time Machine
Blog from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Library
North Kensington Histories
Recollections of people from North Kensington, London
Ladbroke Grove
Facebook Page
Shepherd’s Bush
Facebook Page
White City
Facebook Page
Wood Lane
Facebook Page
Holland Park
Facebook Page
Shepherd's Bush Market
Facebook Page
Latimer Road
Facebook Page
Born in W10
Facebook group
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group

Maps


Inner West London (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
1930s map covering East Acton, Holland Park, Kensington, Notting Hill, Olympia, Shepherds Bush and Westbourne Park,
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

John Rocque Map of Ealing and Acton (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area from Greenford in the northwest to Hammersmith in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.