Gateshead Road is a major east-west road in Borehamwood.
It runs from Theobald Street
to Cowley Hill.
The St.Michael and All Angels Church is located on the roundabout junction with Brook Road
. The church was built in 1955 by N.F. Cachemaile-Day. The striking glass is by Mary Adshead. The foundation stone having been laid by Princess Margaret. The bell came from the mortuary chapel at Ayot St Peter, donated by Charles Willes Wilshere of The Frythe in 1876.
One of the main secondary schools of Borehamwood, Lyndhurst School
, lay in a prime location along Gateshead Road. The school, built in 1954, was a post-war experiment in prefabricated buildings - instead of bricks, it was built with a material called Holoplast, invented by two Hungarian engineers. Holoplast panels, composed of tough plastic and paper, were ready-made, and could be clipped into position on a frame.
Other distinctive architectural features at the Gateshead Road school were A-frames, to support the ceilings in the school’s library and hall, and a moat. Lyndhurst had opened as a secondary school, Theobald County Secondary Modern School, with 343 pupils and Mr Fennell as headmaster.