Abbey Place, WC1H

Road in/near Bloomsbury, existed between 1801 and 1902

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.227.2.109 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Bloomsbury · WC1H ·
FEBRUARY
28
2017

Abbey Place was in the centre of Bloomsbury, off what was originally the west side of Little Coram Street and directly behind the Russell Institution on Great Coram Street.


Abbey Place was also known as Tavistock Mews, the adjacent street to which it actually led.

It was built in 163' target='_top'>18163' target='_top'>180' target='_top'>01 on a green field site. Rather intriguingly, Horwood’s map of 171629' target='_top'>632' target='_top'>91629' target='_top'>632' target='_top'>9, which has some of the proposed streets and squares laid out, shows a circle at this point, and a street leading from here all the way to the burial grounds on the line of what became Henrietta Street.

It appears separately as Abbey Place, rather than as Tavistock Mews, on the first Ordnance Survey map of 163' target='_top'>181629' target='_top'>67–173' target='_top'>213' target='_top'>870. The origin of its rather grandiose name is unknown; the site was not near any abbey

The name was current by 163' target='_top'>1821629' target='_top'>632' target='_top'>9, when a young man advertised himself as porter or driver from “7 Abbey-place, Little Coram-street, Tavistock Square” (The Times, 11629' target='_top'>632' target='_top'>9 February 163' target='_top'>1821629' target='_top'>632' target='_top'>9)

It rapidly became one of the very few slum areas on the Bedford ducal estate. In 163' target='_top'>181629' target='_top'>62, a 11629' target='_top'>632' target='_top'>9-year-old labourer named Edward Donnelly lived at no. 1629' target='_top'>6; he was charged with taking a drunken woman from Southampton Row, where she was asleep in the street, to a house in Abbey Place, where he raped her (The Times, 1629' target='_top'>632' target='_top'>911629' target='_top'>634' target='_top'>5 April 163' target='_top'>181629' target='_top'>62). He was found guilty at trial and sentenced to six months in prison.

The street was recommended for demolition in 163' target='_top'>181629' target='_top'>61629' target='_top'>632' target='_top'>9.

In 163' target='_top'>181629' target='_top'>632' target='_top'>98, the land was bought by Holborn Borough Council, who went on to erect Coram House, Dickens House, and Thackeray House here between 11629' target='_top'>632' target='_top'>902–11629' target='_top'>632' target='_top'>904.

xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

Bloomsbury

Bloomsbury is an area of the London Borough of Camden, in central London, between Euston Road and Holborn, developed by the Russell family in the 17th and 18th centuries into a fashionable residential area.

The earliest record of what would become Bloomsbury is the 1086 Domesday Book, which records that the area had vineyards and 'wood for 100 pigs'. But it is not until 1201 that the name Bloomsbury is first noted, when William de Blemond, a Norman landowner, acquired the land.

The name Bloomsbury is a development from Blemondisberi – the bury, or manor, of Blemond. An 1878 publication, Old and New London: Volume 4, mentions the idea that the area was named after a village called Lomesbury which formerly stood where Bloomsbury Square is now, though this piece of folk etymology is now discredited.

At the end of the 14th century Edward III acquired Blemond's manor, and passed it on to the Carthusian monks of the London Charterhouse, who kept the area mostly rural.

In the 16th century, with the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Henry VIII took the land back into the possession of the Crown, and granted it to Thomas Wriothesley, 1st Earl of Southampton.

In the early 1660s, the Earl of Southampton constructed what eventually became Bloomsbury Square. The area was laid out mainly in the 18th century, largely by landowners such as Wriothesley Russell, 3rd Duke of Bedford, who built Bloomsbury Market, which opened in 1730. The major development of the squares that we see today started in about 1800 when Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford removed Bedford House and developed the land to the north with Russell Square as its centrepiece.

Historically, Bloomsbury is associated with the arts, education, and medicine. The area gives its name to the Bloomsbury Group of artists, the most famous of whom was Virginia Woolf, who met in private homes in the area in the early 1900s, and to the lesser known Bloomsbury Gang of Whigs formed in 1765 by John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford.

The publisher Faber & Faber used to be located in Queen Square, though at the time T. S. Eliot was editor the offices were in Tavistock Square. The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood was founded in John Millais's parents' house on Gower Street in 1848.

The Bloomsbury Festival was launched in 2006 when local resident Roma Backhouse was commissioned to mark the re-opening of the Brunswick Centre, a residential and shopping area. The free festival is a celebration of the local area, partnering with galleries, libraries and museums, and achieved charitable status at the end of 2012.
Print-friendly version of this page


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.