Abbey Place, WC1H

Road in/near Bloomsbury, existed between 1801 and 1902

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
34.229.97.16 
Abbey Place · Acton Street · Affleck Street · Alfred Mews · Alfred Place · Argyle Square · Argyle Street · Argyle Walk · Bainbridge Street · Bainbridge Street · Barbon Close · Barter Street · Bayley Street · Bedford Avenue · Bedford Place · Bedford Square · Bedford Way · Bedford Way · Belgrove Street · Bernard Street · Bloomsbury · Bloomsbury Place · Bloomsbury Place · Bloomsbury Square · Bloomsbury Square · Bloomsbury Street · Bloomsbury Street · Bloomsbury Way · Boswell Street · Boswell Street · Bristol House · British Library · British Museum · British Museum · Brock Street · Brunswick Centre · Brunswick Shopping Centre · Brunswick Square · BT Tower · Burton Street · Bury Place · Byng Place · Capper Street · Cardington Street · Cartwright Gardens · Castlewood House · Centa Housebirkenhead Street · Chalton Street · Charlotte Street · Chenies Mews · Chenies Street · Church Way · Clare Court · Cleveland Street · Cleveland Street · Coach Road · Cockpit Yard · Colonnade · Compton Place · Coram Street · Coram Street · Cosmo Place · Cosmo Place · Crestfield Street · Cromer Street · Darwin Walk · Dombey Street · Doric Way · Doughty Mews · Doughty Street · Drummond Crescent · Duke’s Road · Dyott Street · Eagle Street · Emerald Street · Endsleigh Place · Endsleigh Street · Euston · Euston Road · Euston Road · Euston Road · Euston Square · Euston Square · Euston Tower · Everton Buildings · Fairyland · Fitzrovia · Fitzroy Court · Fitzroy Square · Fitzroy Street · Flaxman Terrace · Fleet Square · Foundling Court · Foundling Hospital · Foundry Mews · Frederick Street · Galen Place · Gilbert Place · Gloucester Road · Goodge Street · Goodge Street · Gordon Mansions · Gordon Square · Gordon Street · Gough Street · Gower Court · Gower Place · Gower Street · Grafton Place · Grafton Way · Grafton Way · Granville Square · Granville Street · Grays Inn Road · Great Court · Great James Street · Great Ormond Street · Great Russell Street · Great Russell Street · Great Turnstile · Grenville Street · Guilford Street · Guilford Street · Hampstead Road · Handel Street · Harrington Street · Harrison Street · Hastings Street · Heathcote Street · Henrietta Mews · Herbrand Street · High Holborn · Holsworthy Square · Horse Hospital · Hunter Street · Huntley Street · Jenner House · John Street · John’s Mews · Johns Mews · Judd Street · Judd Street · Kenton Street · Keppel Street · King’s Cross Road · King's Cross St Pancras · Kings Mews · Kingsgate Street · Kirk Street · Lamb’s Conduit Passage · Lamb’s Conduit Street · Lamb’s Mews · Lambs Conduit Passage · Lambs Conduit Street · Lamp Office Court · Langton Close · Leigh Street · Little Guildford Street · Little Russel Street · Little Russell Street · Long Yard · Lorenzo Street · Malet Place · Malet Street · Maple Street · Marchmont Street · Mecklenburgh Place · Mecklenburgh Square · Mecklenburgh Street · Mecklenburgh Street · Medway Court · Midhope Street · Midland Road · Millman Place · Millman Street · Montague Place · Montague Street · Mortimer Market · Morwell Street · Neals Yard · New North Street · North Cloisters · North Crescent · North Cresent · North Mews · Northington Street · Oakshott Court · Oblique Museum Mansions · Odonnell Court · Old Glocester Street · Old Gloucester Street · Old Glouster Street · Orange Street · Orde Hall Street · Ormond Close · Ossulston Estate · Peabody Buildings · Penton Rise · Pentonville Road · Percy Street · Phoenix Place · Pied Bull Court · Pied Bull Yard · Pooles Buildings · Powis Place · Prideaux Place · Queen Annes Square · Queen Square · Queen’s Yard · Queen's Arms (1890) · Regent Square · Regent Square · Rhodes Farm · Richbell Place · Ridgmount Gardens · Ridgmount Street · Roger Street · Royal Academy of Dramatic Art · Rugby Chambers · Rugby Street · Russell Court · Russell Square · Russell Square House · Russell Square · Sandwich House · Sandwich Street · Scala Theatre · Seaford Street · Shops Brunswick Centre · Sidmouth Street · Sidmouth Street · Sinclair House · Somers Town · South Cloisters · Southampton Place · Southampton Row · Southampton Row · Speedy Place · St Pancras · St. Chad’s Street · St. James Gardens · Store Street · Streatham Street · Tankerton Street · Tavistock House North · Tavistock House South · Tavistock House · Tavistock Place · Tavistock Place · Tavistock Square · Thanet Street · The 'Royal Blue' horse omnibus outside 5 Euston Road (1912) · The Polygon · Theobald’s Road · Theobalds Road · Third Floor · Thornhaugh Street · Thornhaugh Street · Tiger House · Tonbridge Street · Torrington Place · Torrington Square · Tottenham Court Road · University College London · University Street · Upper Woborn Place · Upper Woburn Place · Varndell Street · Vernon Square · Wakefield St · Wakefield Street · Wakefield Street · Warren Street · Warren Street · Wells Square · Westking Place · Weston Rise · Weston Rise · Whidborne Street · Whitfield Street · Whittlebury Street · Willoughby Street · Witley Court · Woburn Place · Woburn Place · Woburn Square · Woburn Walk · Woolf Mews · Yorkshire Grey Roundabout · Yorkshire Grey Yard
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Bloomsbury · WC1H · Contributed by The Underground Map
FEBRUARY
28
2017

Abbey Place was in the centre of Bloomsbury, off what was originally the west side of Little Coram Street and directly behind the Russell Institution on Great Coram Street.

Abbey Place was also known as Tavistock Mews, the adjacent street to which it actually led.

It was built in 1801 on a green field site. Rather intriguingly, Horwood’s map of 1799, which has some of the proposed streets and squares laid out, shows a circle at this point, and a street leading from here all the way to the burial grounds on the line of what became Henrietta Street.

It appears separately as Abbey Place, rather than as Tavistock Mews, on the first Ordnance Survey map of 1867–1870. The origin of its rather grandiose name is unknown; the site was not near any abbey

The name was current by 1829, when a young man advertised himself as porter or driver from “7 Abbey-place, Little Coram-street, Tavistock Square” (The Times, 19 February 1829)

It rapidly became one of the very few slum areas on the Bedford ducal estate. In 1862, a 19-year-old labourer named Edward Donnelly lived at no. 6; he was charged with taking a drunken woman from Southampton Row, where she was asleep in the street, to a house in Abbey Place, where he raped her (The Times, 5 April 1862). He was found guilty at trial and sentenced to six months in prison.

The street was recommended for demolition in 1869.

In 1898, the land was bought by Holborn Borough Council, who went on to erect Coram House, Dickens House, and Thackeray House here between 1902–1904.

Source: UCL Bloomsbury Project

Citations, sources, links and further reading

Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
A wander through London, street by street
All-encompassing website
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page

VIEW THE BLOOMSBURY AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE BLOOMSBURY AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE BLOOMSBURY AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE BLOOMSBURY AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE BLOOMSBURY AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Bloomsbury

Bloomsbury is an area of the London Borough of Camden, in central London, between Euston Road and Holborn, developed by the Russell family in the 17th and 18th centuries into a fashionable residential area.

The earliest record of what would become Bloomsbury is the 1086 Domesday Book, which records that the area had vineyards and 'wood for 100 pigs'. But it is not until 1201 that the name Bloomsbury is first noted, when William de Blemond, a Norman landowner, acquired the land.

The name Bloomsbury is a development from Blemondisberi – the bury, or manor, of Blemond. An 1878 publication, Old and New London: Volume 4, mentions the idea that the area was named after a village called Lomesbury which formerly stood where Bloomsbury Square is now, though this piece of folk etymology is now discredited.

At the end of the 14th century Edward III acquired Blemond's manor, and passed it on to the Carthusian monks of the London Charterhouse, who kept the area mostly rural.

In the 16th century, with the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Henry VIII took the land back into the possession of the Crown, and granted it to Thomas Wriothesley, 1st Earl of Southampton.

In the early 1660s, the Earl of Southampton constructed what eventually became Bloomsbury Square. The area was laid out mainly in the 18th century, largely by landowners such as Wriothesley Russell, 3rd Duke of Bedford, who built Bloomsbury Market, which opened in 1730. The major development of the squares that we see today started in about 1800 when Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford removed Bedford House and developed the land to the north with Russell Square as its centrepiece.

Historically, Bloomsbury is associated with the arts, education, and medicine. The area gives its name to the Bloomsbury Group of artists, the most famous of whom was Virginia Woolf, who met in private homes in the area in the early 1900s, and to the lesser known Bloomsbury Gang of Whigs formed in 1765 by John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford.

The publisher Faber & Faber used to be located in Queen Square, though at the time T. S. Eliot was editor the offices were in Tavistock Square. The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood was founded in John Millais's parents' house on Gower Street in 1848.

The Bloomsbury Festival was launched in 2006 when local resident Roma Backhouse was commissioned to mark the re-opening of the Brunswick Centre, a residential and shopping area. The free festival is a celebration of the local area, partnering with galleries, libraries and museums, and achieved charitable status at the end of 2012.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, north east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.