Allum Lane links Borehamwood with Watling Street just north of Elstree village.
Originally the road was much straighter but encroachment by landowners altered the course slightly. Allum Lane is mentioned as far back as 1437 and at that time was known as Alwynlane. Following the Enclosure Act of 1776, which divided up the Boreham Wood Common, roads such as this were improved from what originally would have been simple dirt tracks.
Along the road many grand houses were slowly built including Hillside
(also known as Barham House
and Clock House) build in 1789. The explorer (not the actor) Sir Richard Burton, explorer was there.
In the 1860s, the Midland railway reached the area and Elstree station was built at the Borehamwood end of the lane. Allum Lane then became more used as Elstree people used it to access their station. Lord Aldenham build a carriage drive from Aldenham House to meet Allum Lane at the Elstree end so that his estate could easier access the station.
Though many of the larger houses made way for housing, Allum Lane and the road remained rural at the Elstree end, even after the development of the estates of Borehamwood.
Allum Lane Cemetery saw its first burial in July 1962. It stands on the grounds of the old Radnor Hall Estate, which was demolished in the late 1950s.
Elstree:Station Road, now Allum Lane, with Nicoll Farm on the left. Postcard dated 14 September 1910
User unknown/public domain