Doggetts Farm Road, Denham, Bucks.

Road in/near Denham

MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Denham · UB9 · Contributed by The Underground Map

Doggetts Farm Road is a road in the UB9 postcode area

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.



The civil parish of Denham is situated in South Buckinghamshire and sits just north west of Uxbridge.

The village name "Denham" originates from the Old English for "homestead in a valley" and was listed in the 1086 Domesday Book as "Deneham".

Before the Norman Conquest, Westminster Abbey took ownership of Denham and continued to do so throughout the middle ages. From the 12th century, the Abbey maintained ownership of the manor, however Denham was sub-tenanted to noblemen including Henry de Capella. In 1227 Henry de Capella was granted a market and annual fair.

The village has maintained its historic charm though over the years, the parish of Denham has expanded to cope with the housing demand. Modern-day Denham includes Denham Village, Denham Garden Village, Denham Green, New Denham, Higher Denham and Tatling End.

Denham Village is home to Saint Mary’s Church, featuring a flint and stone Norman Tower. A number of the houses and cottages in the village were built in the 16th and 17th centuries. Village Road is part of the architectural conservation area. The Village has frequently been used for British Film and Television, with the Denham Film Studios once situated near the Village.

The Denham Film Studios operated between 1936 and 1952. Founded by Alexander Korda, the site was, at the time, the largest film production facility in the UK. In 1937, Queen Mary visited the studios. During its lifetime, the studio was known by variou names. It began life as the home of Korda’s London Films, called "London Film Studios"; it was then merged with Pinewood Studios to form D&P Studios. Film makers were said to prefer Denham to Pinewood as a location, leading to Pinewood Studios being used predominantly for storage during the Second World War. Notable films made at Denham Film Studios include "The Thief of Baghdad", "Brief Encounter", "Great Expectations" and "Hamlet". However, Denham Film Studios proximity to Denham Aerodrome could prove problematic. During the filming of "Pimpernel Smith", Mary Morris and Leslie Howard recalled being interrupted 22 times by noise from aircraft! The final film was made at the studio in 1952 and in 1953 the facility was rented out to the United States Air Force. In 1981, the buildings were demolished and the site was re-developed as a business park.

Higher Denham is situated on the former site of a First World War army training and transit camp. The First World War brought the Royal Flying Corps’ No. 5 and No. 6 Schools of Aeronautics to Denham to learn how to pack parachutes and rig aircraft at what is now the Martin Baker Aircraft Factory. The small Martin Baker Aircraft Ltd factory as we see it today was established in 1929, manufacturing aircraft ejector seats. They are the world’s longest established manufacturer of ejection seats. Following the war, the land was sold off piecemeal for housing.

Denham railway station was built just north of Denham village in 1906 as part of the Great Western and Great Central Joint Railway. Its original name was Denham — Junction for Uxbridge as it was a stop on the shuttle service between Gerrards Cross and Uxbridge High Street; the latter station has long been closed and demolished, and the branch line to it dismantled.

Alder Road · Ash Mead Drive · Baconsmead · Bakers Wood · Blacksmith’s Lane · Bowyer Crescent · Broken Gate Lane · Bronsdon Way · Cherry Tree Lane · Cherry Tree Lane · Colne Valley Cycle Route · Colne Valley Cycle Route · Colne Valley Cycle Route · Colne Valley Cycle Route · Colne Valley Park · Colne Valley Way · Colne Valley Way · Denham Close · Denham Green E-Act Academy · Denham Road · Denham Road · Ford End · Froggy Lane · Green Bridge · Green Tiles Lane · Hangar Lane · James Martin Close · Kinghton-Way Lane · Lime Walk · Lime Walk · Lindsay Road · M40 · M40 · Marish Lane · Marish Lane · Mead Close · Mirrie Lane · Misbourne Meadows · Nine Stiles Close · Oakside · Old Mill Road · Old Rectory Lane · Over The Misbourne Road · Over The Misbourne · Oxford Gardens · Patrons Way East · Patrons Way West · Pollard Avenue · Red Hill · Savay Close · Sheepcote Gardens · Shire Lane · Side Road · South Bucks Way · Southlands Road · St Mary’s Road · The Lime Walk · Trusteees Close · Wenlack Close · Western Avenue · Willow Crescent East · Woodhurst Drive ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Print-friendly version of this page


All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine


Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.