Hundred Elms Farm

Farm in Sudbury Town, existed between 1600 and 1925

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  EDIT  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Farm · Sudbury Town · HA0 · Contributed by The Underground Map
April
7
2017
Click to enlarge image.
A postcard of One Hundred Elms Farm, c.1920.
Credit: Brent Archives

There was a farm on this site, on the northern edge of Sudbury Common, since at least the time of Queen Elizabeth I in the 16th century.

Hundred Elms Farm was probably named after the avenue of elm trees which used to line the sides of Elms Lane from the Harrow Road up to the farm.

The Greenhill family were tenants of the farm from 1817 until the early 20th century, and the 1881 census shows Charles Greenhill, a farmer of 147˝ acres, living at "100 Elms Farm”.

His father, William Greenhill, had made it a dairy farm (keeping cows to produce milk) by the 1860s. This type of farming needed more workers, so cottages were built for them to live in, including Keppel Cottages (now 920-930 Harrow Road) which can still be seen at the corner of Elms Lane.

By the 1890s the farm was selling its milk, cream and butter through a dairy shop in Harrow. Adverts for the shop invited customers to visit the farm at any time to see how its milk was produced. Cleanliness at the shop was ensured by its spotless tiled surfaces, and a specially painted tile mural adorned one of its walls.

In 1918, Hundred Elms Farm and its shop were bought by United Dairies, a company run by Arthur Barham (the younger son of George Barham of Sudbury Park). By the mid-1920s its fields had been sold off for housing development. Although cows could no longer be kept here, the farmyard was retained as a dairy depot by the company, which later became known as Unigate.

Eventually, the former farmyard was no longer suitable for a dairy business, and it too was sold for housing development.

In the 1990s, the Metropolitan Housing Trust built Dyson Court, at the corner of Elms Lane and Perrin Road, on the site, but if you go through these modern buildings you can still see two preserved old farm buildings from the days of Hundred Elms Farm. A 16th century brick building has been converted to flats, while the 1840s farm house is now known as Franklyn Lodge, a residential care home for up to six adults who have learning disabilities.

Source: Brent Council

VIEW THE SUDBURY TOWN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE SUDBURY TOWN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE SUDBURY TOWN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE SUDBURY TOWN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE SUDBURY TOWN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 Read blog
We have featured this location on a blog entry.
Please note that our blog will open in a new window.

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Go to Wembley

Wembley






LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Sudbury Park Farm:   Sudbury Park Farm was opened by the Barham family in 1897, although its fields had been part of another farm, known as North Farm, by the mid-19th century.
Sudbury Town:   Sudbury, as a historical area once extended from the ’South Manor- Sudbury’ (thought to have been on Harrow Hill) to the area that is now known as Wembley Central.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Allendale Road, UB6 · Ashness Gardens, UB6 · Auriol Drive, UB6 · Bannister Close, UB6 · Barham Close, HA0 · Barham Court, HA0 · Bedser Drive, UB6 · Berkeley Avenue, UB6 · Brewery Close, HA0 · Burwell Avenue, UB6 · Central Square, HA0 · Chaplin Road, HA0 · Chestnut Grove, HA0 · Clare Parade, UB6 · Clare Road, UB6 · Colyton Close, HA0 · Currey Road, UB6 · Dalmeny Close, HA0 · District Road, HA0 · Eastcote Avenue, UB6 · Green Park Way, UB6 · Greenbank Avenue, HA0 · Greenford Road, UB6 · High Road, HA0 · Horsenden Cresent, UB6 · Kenelm Close, HA1 · Lancelot Parade, HA0 · Lancelot Road, HA0 · Lilian Board Way, UB6 · Linthorpe Avenue, HA0 · Lyon Way, UB6 · Malden Avenue, UB6 · Mary Peters Drive, UB6 · Matthews Road, UB6 · Maybank Avenue, UB6 · Newlands Close, HA0 · Northwood Gardens, UB6 · Oakwood Crescent, UB6 · Oakwood Cresent, UB6 · Odeon Parade, UB6 · Oldfield Lane North, UB6 · Orchard Gate, UB6 · Perrin Road, HA0 · Priory Avenue, HA0 · Priory Close, HA0 · Railway Goods Yard, UB6 · Ridding Lane, UB6 · Rockware Avenue, UB6 · Rothesay Avenue, UB6 · St Andrews Avenue, HA0 · St Georges Hall, HA1 · Station Approach, HA0 · Stilecroft Gardens, HA0 · Sudbury Court Drive, HA1 · Sudbury Cresent, HA0 · Sudbury Heights Avenue, UB6 · The Parade · Thurlow Gardens, HA0 · Tregenna Court, HA0 · Turner Close, HA0 · Twickenham Gardens, UB6 · Wadham Gardens, UB6 · Wellgarth, UB6 · Western Avenue, UB6 · Westway Cross Shopping Park, UB6 · Westway Cross, UB6 · Whitton Avenue East, UB6 · Whitton Avenue West, UB5 · Whitton Avenue West, UB6 · Windmore Close, HA0 · Woodland Rise, UB6 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Brent Council
Sudbury Town
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Wembley, Kingsbury, Willesden and Harlesden (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area from Harrow in the northwest to Harlesden in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.