The origins of this Hospital lay in the Kensington Dispensary, which opened in 1815 at 13 Holland Street. By 1845 the premises were becoming too small for the increasing number of patients and, in 1849, the Dispensary moved to 49 Church Street, where it remained for the next 75 years
The proportion of children attending the Dispensary had steadily increased and the Medical Board decided what was really needed was a Children’s Hospital. In 1924 Queen Victoria’s daughter, Princess Louise, who was President of the Kensington Dispensary, held a conference about this in her home in Kensington Palace. During this meeting it was decided that the Dispensary should move to North Kensington as the Church Street site was at least two miles away from its neediest patients.
A site on the War Memorial playing field was purchased in 1925 and the foundation stone laid a year later by the Princess. The new road of Pangbourne Avenue was created to serve it.
Throughout the 1920s and 1930s the Hospital played an important role within the community.
During WW2 the Out-Patients Department remained open, even though the Hospital was damaged by bombs on three occasions. The Hospital also served as an air-raid First Aid Post.
In 1946 Princess Louise Hospital merged with St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington, hoping that it would be able to keep its separate identity when the NHS would be introduced in 1948.
In 1952 it became part of the St Mary’s teaching rotation for paediatric nursing. Two houses were bought in St Quintin Avenue for nurses’ accommodation (previously nurses had slept in the wards).
By 1959 the Hospital had 135 beds, an X-ray department and operating theatres but, with improved children’s health, beds at the Hospital were routinely empty. It was planned to convert two wards for maternity use, though there was great local opposition to this. However, by 1960, it was accepted that this change had to take place.
In 1970 the Hospital was converted to geriatric use, the final children’s party being held that year. The building was altered to accommodate 61 beds. Day rooms were added, as well as rehabilitation and long-stay wards, and a day hospital. In 1971 the first elderly patients moved in.
At the beginning of the 21st century, attitudes to hospitalising old people were changing; surveys revealed that most elderly patients preferred to receive care in their own homes rather than in an institution.
By 2006 only 12 rehabilitation beds and the day hospital remained, along with 19 temporary mental health beds which would be vacated once refurbishment of other sites was completed. It was felt that the Hospital was no longer fit for purpose - its Nightingale wards afforded little privacy - and its buildings were in a poor state of repair.
It was decided to dispose of the site and the Hospital closed in 2006.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
|VIEW THE NORTH KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE NORTH KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE NORTH KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE NORTH KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE NORTH KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
| ||Upload an image|
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
| ||Add new information to this location|
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
North Kensington lies either side of Ladbroke Grove, W10.
North Kensington was rural until the 19th century when it was developed as an suburb with quite large homes. By the 1880s, too many houses had been built for the upper-middle class towards whom the area was aimed. Large houses were divided into low cost flats which often degenerated into slums, as documented in the photographs of Roger Mayne.
During the 1980s, the area started to be gentrified although areas in the north west of the district at Ladbroke Grove
and Westbourne Park remain deprived and run down to this day.
Waves of immigrants have arrived for at least a century including, but certainly not limited to, the Spanish, the Irish, the Jews, the West Indians, the Portuguese, the Moroccans and many from the Horn of Africa and Eastern Europe. This constant renewal of the population makes the area one of the most cosmopolitan in London.
The Notting Hill carnival was first staged in 1964 as a way for the local Afro-Caribbean communities to celebrate their own cultures and traditions. After some rough times in the 1970s and 1980s when it became associated with social protest, violence and huge controversy over policing tactics, this is now Europe’s largest carnival/festival event and a major event in the London calendar. It is staged every August over the Bank holiday weekend.
A seminal gig
|LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
: Once upon a time in 1979, Joy Division, OMD and A Certain Ratio were on the same bill - and all for £1.50.Acklam Hall
: Acklam Hall became a community centre for the post-Westway Acklam RoadAdmiral Blake (The Cowshed)
: The Admiral Blake was situated at the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Barlby Road.Barlby Road Primary School
: Barlby Road Primary School has long served the children of North Kensington.Bassett House School
: Bassett House School is a preparatory school for children aged 3 to 11 years old based in North Kensington. Cabaret Voltaire in Acklam Road
: Cabaret Voltaire played one of their classic early gigs under the flyover in Acklam Road.Carmelite Monastery of The Most Holy Trinity
: Convent in North KensingtonColor Printing Works
: Color (sic) Printing Works featured on the 1900 map of North Kensington.Dissenters’ Chapel
: The Dissenters’ Chapel is a redundant chapel in Kensal Green Cemetery, recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.Gas Light and Coke Company
: The gasometers of the Gas Light and Coke company dominated North Kensington until demolition in the late 20th century.Help us to build a better W10!
: We are after your memories!I Was Lord Kitchener’s Valet
: I Was Lord Kitchener’s Valet was a clothing boutique which achieved fame in 1960s "Swinging London" by promoting antique military uniforms as fashion items.North Kensington
: North Kensington lies either side of Ladbroke Grove, W10.Notting Hill Barn Farm
: Notting Barns Farm was one of two farms in the North Kensington area.Portobello Farm
: Portobello Farm House was approached along Turnpike Lane, sometimes referred to as Green’s Lane, a track leading from Kensington Gravel Pits towards a wooden bridge over the canal.Queen Victoria/Narrow Boat
: The 'Vic' was the first building on the right when crossing the canal going north along Ladbroke Grove.Sion Manning Roman Catholic Girls’ School
: Sion Manning Roman Catholic Girls’ School is in St Charles Square.St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College
: St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College is a Roman Catholic sixth form college.St Charles Hospital
: The St Marylebone workhouse infirmary was opened in 1881 on Rackham Street, North Kensington and received a congratulatory letter from Florence Nightingale.St Martins Mission
: Saint Martin's Mission was originally known as Rackham Hall as it was situated on Rackham Street. St Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubbs
: St Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubbs - two spellings missing from the modern map.St. Joseph's Home
: St Joseph's dominated a part of Portobello Road up until the 1980s.The Eagle
: The Eagle, on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Telford Road.The Mitre
: The Mitre was situated at 62 Golborne Road.Acklam Road protests
: Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the WestwayCorner of Rackham Street, Ladbroke Grove (1950)
: The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.Exmoor Street (1950)
: Photographed just after the Second World War, looking north along Exmoor Street.Golborne Road bridge (1960s)
: We think that this photo dates from the late 1960s, according to fashions and car registrations.Graffiti along Acklam Road (1970s)
: Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the WestwayKids in Acklam Road
: Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the WestwayLadbroke Grove looking north (1900)
: This early 1900s image was taken just south of the junction of Ladbroke Grove and Treverton Street.Ladbroke Grove looking north (1950)
: Ladbroke Grove on the corner of St Charles Sqaure taken outside the Eagle
public house, looking north, just prior to the outbreak of the Second World War.Ladbroke Grove railway bridge
: Looking north over Bartle Bridge in the 1950sRackham Street, eastern end (1950)
: The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.Rackham Street, western end (1950)
: A bombed-out Rackham Street, looking down from the junction with Exmoor Street.St Charles Square after bombing (1950)
: A corner of St Charles Square looking north, just after the Second World WarSt Charles Square ready for redevelopment (1951)
: Photographed in 1951, the corner of St Charles Square and Ladbroke Grove looking northwest just after the Second World War.St Charles’ Square Training College (1908)
: St Charles’ Square Training College/Carmelite Convent.St Quintin Park Cricket Ground (1890s)
: Before the turn of the 20th century, west of present day North Kensington lay fields - the future Barlby Road was the site of the St Quintin Park Cricket Ground.The Victoria (1920s)
: The Victoria later became the Narrow Boat before it ’conveniently burned down’.Under westway (1977)
: Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Acklam Road, W10
|NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
· Admiral Mews, W10
· Aldermaston Street, W10
· Archway Close, W10
· Ashburn Gardens, SW7
· Astwood Mews, SW7
· Balliol Road, W10
· Barlby Gardens, W10
· Barlby Road, W10
· Bassett Road, W10
· Bevington Road, W10
· Blake Close, W10
· Bonchurch Road, W10
· Bracewell Road, W10
· Bramley Street, W10
· Branstone Street, W10
· Brechin Place, SW7
· Bruce Close, W10
· Calverley Street, W10
· Canal Close, W10
· Canal Way, W10
· Chesterton Road, W10
· Cornwall Gardens, SW7
· Crowthorne Road, W10
· Dalgarno Gardens, W10
· Dalgarno Way, W10
· Emperors Gate, SW7
· Exmoor Street, W10
· Faraday Road, W10
· Finstock Road, W10
· Golborne Mews, W10
· Golborne Road, W10
· Grenville Place, SW7
· Hewer Street, W10
· Highlever Road, W10
· Hill Farm Road, W10
· Humber Drive, W10
· Ivebury Court, W10
· Kelfield Gardens, W10
· Kelfield Mews, W10
· Kingsbridge Road, W10
· Kynance Mews, SW7
· Ladbroke Grove, W10
· Latimer Place, W10
· Lavie Mews, W10
· Lionel Mews, W10
· Manchester Road, W10
· Matthew Close, W10
· Maxilla Walk, W10
· Methwold Road, W10
· Mitre Way, W10
· Morgan Road, W10
· Munro Mews, W10
· North Pole Road, W10
· Nursery Lane, W10
· Oakworth Road, W10
· Osten Mews, SW7
· Oxford Gardens, W10
· Pamber Street, W10
· Pangbourne Avenue, W10
· Porlock Street, W10
· Rackham Street, W10
· Raddington Road, W10
· Raymede Street, W10
· Rootes Drive, W10
· Rosary Gardens, SW7
· Salters Road, W10
· Scampston Mews, W10
· Shrewsbury Street, W10
· Silchester Mews, W10
· Silchester Street, W10
· Snarsgate Street, W10
· Southam Street, W10
· St Charles Place, W10
· St Charles Square, W10
· St Helens Gardens, W10
· St Johns Terrace, W10
· St Lawrence Terrace, W10
· St Marks Road, W10
· St Quintin Avenue, W10
· St Quintin Gardens, W10
· Sunbeam Crescent, W10
· Sutton Way, W10
· Telford Road, W10
· Thorpe Close, W10
· Treverton Street, W10
· Wallingford Avenue, W10
· Walmer Road, W10
· Webb Close, W10
· Westview Close, W10
· Westway, W11
· Wornington Road, W10
|USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES|
- If you wish to link to this article in another article, copy the text in blue: [[41422|Princess Louise Hospital]] - you can change the italic text to suit your text
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *L1490700922L* for a left-aligned image
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *R1490700922R* for a right-aligned image