Flower and Dean Street, E1

Road in/near The Underground Map, existed between 1655 and 1977

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.88.161.108 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · The Underground Map · E1 ·
APRIL
21
2017

Flower and Dean Street was a narrow street running east-west from Commercial Street to Brick Lane.

Flower and Dean Street (east side), c.1902
Originally laid out in 1655 on land belonging to Thomas and Lewis Fossan by John Flower and Gowen Dean, Whitechapel bricklayers. The street was originally 16 feet wide and a mere 10 feet wide at its western end, a feature it maintained throughout its existence. The street also appears under the name ’Dean and Flower Street’ in maps of 1676 and 1682.

In 1657, a search conducted by the ’Tylers and Bricklayer’s Company’ showed that houses in Flower and Dean Street had been constructed using ’badd mortar using garden mould’ and such was the poor state of the properties that extensive rebuilding had to be undertaken by the mid-18th century. In Roque’s map of 1746, Flower and Dean Street was split by a large open square known as Broad Place, though it would seem this was a temporary feature brought about by demolition.

The construction of Commercial Street from 1844 caused a considerable shift in the local population which no doubt exacerbated overcrowded conditions in the general area and Flower and Dean Street soon became known for its common lodging houses, courts, alleys and interconnecting properties. By 1880, it had sunk to such disreputable levels that one commentator was moved to write:
"Those who know the locality well said that if I examined the courts which ran out of Flower and Dean Street and the houses in its alleys and lanes, I should then be able to assure myself that I had seen the very worst that London is capable of producing".

Indeed, by way of illustration, the census of 1881 lists no fewer than twenty common lodging houses on Flower and Dean Street. This gave a total of nearly 1000 residents of lodging houses alone - No.5 was also part of a property in Brick Lane that was home to 222 individuals.

The Metropolitan Board of Works prepared a clearance scheme in 1877, though little was done at first, giving a period of reprieve for the slums and lodging houses and by 1883 it was considered "perhaps the foulest and most dangerous street in the whole metropolis". Eventually, a plot of land on the south side was bought by the Four per-cent Industrial Dwellings Company who built the barrack-like Charlotte De Rothschild Dwellings in 1886-7.

The slums of Spitalfields came to national (and international) attention during the period of the Whitechapel Murders as the victims were regular users of the common lodging houses, most commonly in Dorset Street and Flower and Dean Street.

From 24th-30th August 1888, Mary Ann Nichols stayed at the ’White House’ at No.56. Nichols, drunk, had met Emily Holland on the morning of her murder, claiming to want to go there instead of her usual lodgings at Wilmott’s Lodging House, Thrawl Street. Elizabeth Stride had stayed at No.32 Flower and Dean Street on and off since 1882 and on the day before her murder had earnt 6d from the deputy, Elizabeth Tanner, by cleaning the kitchen. During the Ripper scare, Dr Thomas Barnardo visited No.32 to see conditions for himself and listened to the concerns of the women there regarding the murders. Barnardo was later to identify Stride in the mortuary as one of the women he had spoken to during that visit.

Further redevelopment began after the murders ceased. In 1891, the Four per-cent Industrial Dwellings Company acquired most of the north side of the street and had begun demolishing Nos.33-44 by April of that year. Nos.45-55 followed suit and Nathaniel Dwellings were built, being opened in 1892. The remaining parts of the south side were developed in 1895-7 with individual blocks known as Ruth and Irene Houses. However, the extreme eastern end (including the White House) remained undeveloped, maintaining the insalubrious reputation of old, despite the now improved conditions and reputation of the rest of the street.

By the late 1960s, many of these dwellings had fallen into disrepair and plans were afoot to clear the area, pending some new housing scheme. Demolition began in 1973 and was complete by 1977, although it would be several years until new buildings would be constructed. The eastern end of Flower and Dean Street was blocked off by new shops and flats which were erected on Brick Lane c.1981 and eventually the whole site was redeveloped as the Flower and Dean estate 1982-4.

A small stretch of Flower and Dean Street remains at the Commercial Street end but was renamed Lolesworth Close c.1983. The street is commemorated by Flower and Dean Walk, a pedestrianised area that runs through the estate approximately in line with the former George Street.

Citations and sources

Blog about E1 and the surrounding areas
Survey of London's Whitechapel Survey
Gillian Bebbington's 1972 work on street name derivations
The free encyclopedia

Links and further reading

Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page

VIEW THE THE UNDERGROUND MAP AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE THE UNDERGROUND MAP AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE THE UNDERGROUND MAP AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE THE UNDERGROUND MAP AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE THE UNDERGROUND MAP AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

The Underground Map

The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.

In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.

You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.

As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.

You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, north east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.